• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mfuneko Ngam

Langeveldt

Soutie
I was impressed with Pretorius when he came to England.. i thought he showed some inexperience, and the English batsman played him very very well.. but he is a strong guy with a very good action.. Im sure he can develop...

Oh I forgot Kallis.. im so absorbed in his near superhuman batting i forgot about the bowling...

Second greatest all rounder of all time?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I never said "Bond can't swing the red ball". All I said was "I have never seen him swing the red ball".
I have never seen him bowl with one.
But you can still comment on his abilities in Tests?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, because he has played 4 authentic Test-series, one in hopelessly seamer-friendly conditions, and he has had 2 successes, 2 failures.
People talk as if he had averaged below 20 in every series, bowling superb delivery after superb delivery.
I've never once said "he's palpably substandard" or any words to that effect, and my suggestion that maybe he did not swing the red ball was simply a question, answered swiftly by the Kiwis on this forum.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Yes, because he has played 4 authentic Test-series, one in hopelessly seamer-friendly conditions, and he has had 2 successes, 2 failures.
So if it's Brett Lee, you don't have to bowl well to get good figures - now you're not rating Bond, despite not seeing him bowl in those series?

Double Standards?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, not double-standards. The first remark you made is true - don't tell me you're actually admitting that?:O :O
I don't need to have seen the India series to have known it was played in conditions any club seamer could have given some trouble to the Indian batsmen in. I don't need to have seen the Bangladesh series to know that poor strokes were played in abundance (and not, by any stretch of the imagination, just to him).
Reports will always convey an accurate enough impression.
Meanwhile, aside from the fact that I did see extensive highlights of the two Tests in Australia, I certainly don't need to have watched a series of poor figures (like the Sri Lanka one) to know whether or not they're deserved - because if you've got poor figures, the chances of you having bowled well are very remote. You'd have to have had catches dropped off good deliveries - and reports will invariably tell you that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I certainly don't need to have watched a series of poor figures (like the Sri Lanka one) to know whether or not they're deserved
And here lies the double standards, Lee consistently has series of very good figures, but you automatically have decided he doesn't deserve them despite not seeing it.

By that same token, you cannot say someone with poor figures has bowled badly if you haven't seen it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ever heard of reading reports?
I don't like to go exclusively on scorebook stats, in case you hadn't noticed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Ever heard of reading reports?
I don't like to go exclusively on scorebook stats, in case you hadn't noticed.
Oh that's clearly evident.

However to say that you read reports suggests you read reports rather like the one highlighted by Eclipse here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
From what I understood that was by an independant site.
Newspapers and big cricket sites (like CricInfo) tend not to offer such bias and simply convey the facts of the day's play.

PY

International Coach
Has anyone heard what's happened to this guy? It says he may have genetic disorder or poor diet when he was younger has caused his bones to become brittle.

Didn't feature in the NZ tour to any great extent. Is he currently fit? Didn't have a great domestic season.

Sorry for dragging it up but didn't want to start another new thread. :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Unsure... Really needs to prove himself domestically before they will let him into the SA side though :( Worrying times really, especially if he does have a genetic disorder...

Nantie Hayward has vanished from my cricketing thoughts too....