Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mental health problems of cricketers.

Mental health problems of cricketers.

How many cricketers have had depression or any mental health problem due to playing too much cricket?

India has been playing 4 test series followed by tri odi series and then the world cup. With few days break, they will start playing IPL commencing on April 8th. How do cricketers manage so much workload? Doesn't it affect them mentally?

If not cricket, is there any example of excessive workload in any sport causing mental health problems?

International Vice-Captain NasserFan207's Avatar
    It exists. Less so at the top of the game than lower levels. Not sure excessive workload causes depression so much as travel and time away from family/friends. Obviously certain individuals suffer more than others.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkut View Post
    How many cricketers have had depression or any mental health problem due to playing too much cricket?

India has been playing 4 test series followed by tri odi series and then the world cup. With few days break, they will start playing IPL commencing on April 8th. How do cricketers manage so much workload? Doesn't it affect them mentally?

If not cricket, is there any example of excessive workload in any sport causing mental health problems?
    I don't know if you can call it a sport or not but apparently WWE wrestlers have a bad time with this from what i hear.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Debutant AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Don't know if it's entirely related to playing too much cricket, I can recall Trescothick, Yardy and Trott suffered
    Last edited by AndyZaltzHair; 26-03-2015 at 11:27 AM.
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

School Boy/Girl Captain WalkingWicket's Avatar
    I remember it happened to Mike Yardy (English) during the 2011 WC. Trescothick has also suffered from that kind of thing.

EDIT: Guy above me got it.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    There must be special features about cricket, which in the main I would think is the time spent away from home and loved ones, that enabled David Frith to write a whole book on the game's suicides

Fred,

Can you tell us anything about depression pre-1990 in cricket, did many talk about it in their biographies etc.?
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

most known cases have been of english players, correct?

without meaning to cause offence, is there more of a stigma and unwillingness to talk about it in other parts of the world? i can't imagine the uk is the only place where this happens. maybe i'm missing some other recent examples. mark vermuelen has had well documented problems come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpatientLime View Post
    most known cases have been of english players, correct?

without meaning to cause offence, is there more of a stigma and unwillingness to talk about it in other parts of the world? i can't imagine the uk is the only place where this happens. maybe i'm missing some other recent examples. mark vermuelen has had well documented problems come to think of it.
    Yes most are English but there was very little professional cricket anywhere else in the world until comparatively recently

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Fred,

Can you tell us anything about depression pre-1990 in cricket, did many talk about it in their biographies etc.?
    Tresco's was the first autobiography to tackle it that I recall, although I think Crusoe Robertson-Glasgow's may have as well - but biographies have - David Foot's of Walter Hammond and Harold Gimblett two very good ones. There are also biographies of Arthur Shrewsbury and Drewy Stoddart and a fair amount on Aubrey Faulkner - in fact I've written about Hammond, Gimblett and Faulkner myself - there must be others too

Cricket can sometimes be a killer of a game (2011)

........David Frith, the knowledgeable and prolific cricket writer, has written several books on the high incidence of cricket players committing suicide. His first book on the topic covered 80 cricket suicides. In later books he covered 150 suicides, and he says he is coming across new cases all the time.

Frith’s conclusion is this: “Cricket, because it is so monopolistic, because it swallows you up before spitting you out, because it enfolds you and plays on the mind, filling you with confusion and self-doubt, is by far the major sport for suicides.”

This argument that the nature of cricket itself is somehow involved with the suicide rate of cricketers is keenly disputed. Peter Roebuck and Mike Brearley insist that the game of cricket itself is not to blame.“It is not cricket,’ Brearley says, “which causes suicides: people kill themselves for reasons that are internal to themselves and their histories.”

But Frith, who is the undoubted expert on this disturbing aspect of the sport, makes the point that cricket is a one-chance game that tears at the nerves of players who may be susceptible to these pressures: “Golfers, footballers, tennis players and boxers all have an assurance that they have a chance to recover from an early defeat in the game but cricket embodies uncertainty on the grand scale and on a relentless daily basis.”

I believe that there is something in this.

Anyone who has played cricket knows how stunning is the finality of a dismissal or a dropped catch. One minute you are out there batting, then you are walking back to the pavilion. If only you could have faced that ball again.

Suicide in cricket - a hidden phenomena | The Roar
    George Arlington
    David Bairstow
    Sid Barnes
    Cyril Bland
    William Bruce
    Frederick Bull
    Jim Burke
    Shane Clements
    Thomas Cook
    Fen Cresswell
    Montague Druitt
    Aubrey Faulkner
    Barry Fisher
    Harold Gimblett
    George Griffith
    Glen Hall
    Jack Iverson
    Danny Kelleher
    Stuart Leary
    George Mirehouse
    Arthur Thomas Myers
    Joe Partridge
    Harry Pickett
    Arthur Povey
    Halima Rafiq
    Albert Relf
    R. C. Robertson-Glasgow
    Peter Roebuck
    Berry Sarbadhikari
    Mark Saxelby
    William Scotton
    Arthur Shrewsbury

Category:Cricketers who committed suicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by watson; 26-03-2015 at 12:54 PM.
    The figures Sir Home Hordon has shown me of what Grace did in matches against me, 37 innings, 1042 runs, 28.16 average, considerably less than his general average, hears out my theory that I never had any particular difficulty in getting him out. I clean bowled him seven times, ACM Croome says that WG told him that on any wicket he never knew when I should bowl him. This may have been due in part to my artfulness......
    Fred Spofforth, 'The Demon Speaks'

Druitt one of those suspected of being Jack the Ripper - Les Hylton may not be cricket's only murderer, although I think the theory has been largely discredited now

Bairstow and Barnes wrote autobiographies, and there are bios of Barnes and Iverson

Not sure if he has gone public with it any where else but Andrew Flintoff revealed quite openly on Australia's "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" that he had suffered from depression throughout his career........he no longer drinks at all as a result.

He said he felt it was widespread in cricket and sport in general.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Can't remember where I read it but there was an article a few years back that said cricketers and jockeys suffered most from depression out of sportsmen. If i stumble across it i will link it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information