• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Test Squad for England and West Indies

adub

International Captain
Burns is the obvious replacement for Buck so I would have liked to see him get some more test experience. It's very likely come the first test next summer it will be Burns walking out with Davey so another 7 tests under his belt would have been a great idea I would have thought. Smarsh's place in the top 6 seems much less a done deal next summer to my mind.

JBMAC

State Captain
I'm not exactly a keeping technique expert, but he looks the best keeper in state cricket to me (ignoring batting totally). He seems completely comfortable when he keeps up to Trent Copeland; I think I've seen him keep up to Henriques as well.
He's very, very clean. Footwork is generally quite good so he isn't overly-reliant on athleticism like most modern 'keepers, and his glovework is very good as well. When he's behind the stumps, I can't say I've ever really noticed him as such -- he gets in there, does his job to a very high standard, and doesn't require a full-length dive to take a simple chance.

I'd say Hartley is fractionally better with the gloves (there's very little in it though, and its basically at the top of a diminishing marginal utility curve), but Nev blows him away with the bat.

He's been very tidy up to the stumps to the NSW spinners, and though I can't specifically remember him 'keeping up to medium pacers, I imagine he'd be more than capable of doing it to Watson (let's face it, there aren't many Australian quicks around who can have the 'keeper up to the pegs these days).
Thanks guys . It's very much appreciated.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Burns unlucky, Watto very lucky, non-selection of Faulkner in either squad is just ridiculous unless he is injured/still pissed

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
oh well i dont care about that. there's clearly some sort of reason for him not being there

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah social did say in either squad. It is kind of weird that he's not in A squad. Can't be because of ODI clashes because Maxwell is there.

morgieb

Yeah social did say in either squad. It is kind of weird that he's not in A squad. Can't be because of ODI clashes because Maxwell is there.
Yeah I was confused too. Could be that they want to see what other blokes can do and know what they can get out of Faulkner? Resting? Cos otherwise.....

Certainly he's a better option than Stoinis and Fekete at least.

TheJediBrah

I think it's probably okay if it's for the right reasons. If they think Voges's proven ability in England vs Burns's mediocrity when he played there is a big factor, or they've spotted something technically with either player that think will help/hinder in WI/England, or they've identified a real change in Voges's game that has resulted in his good 2014-15 season, then I think that's fine.

But to me it just reeks a bit of the selectors looking at the Shield stats for this season and going "Oh wow, Voges had an awesome season! Get him in therrrrre!" ... which just isn't good selection process from any angle.
Yeah, no, it is absolutely the most sensible selection process from every angle

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Faulkner is quality i.e. substance over style

The guy delivers whenever, wherever

I can only assume that a county stint has been lined up for him or else his total exclusion makes no sense whatsoever

Anyway, I really question Watto's inclusion - lack of runs, unreliable fitness and virtually no bowling penetration these days

He and MMarsh (whom I really rate) are carbon copies of each other but only one has potential any more

It should have been one or the other and his selection should not have come at the expense of Burns IMO

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Forkers also contributed with the bat. I've got plenty of time for Forkers, but realistically he needs to become a genuine top 6 bat to get a go with the pace depth we have now. I'm not convinced Marsh is a genuine 6 yet either, but he does look like he has the tools perhaps more than Forkers.

Flem274*

123/5
Not a fan of the Burns exclusion. Australia are crying out for a #3 and he was bedding in and showing a bit (yes I realise he batted at #6 in tests but he's seen as a top order bat). I just think it was unnecessary on the whole. It's something England would do. You've got one too many Marshes in there who he could replace.

It's been years since I last saw Voges bat so I can't comment on where he's suited these days except by seeing he's a #4 on scorecards (batting below Klinger tbf who used to open right?) but he's made a powerful case and guys like Rogers have shown experienced and successful batsmen are useful no matter what their age is.

I think Watson is a spud but his bowling will be handy in England.

What is Fawad like as a spinner? When you tour the Windies, blokes who can put it down the other end in the right area six out of six are the goods because the pitch will do the rest. Inaccurate bowlers get hammered though.