• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Test Squad for England and West Indies

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In 30 test matches since he beginning of 2011, Watto has averaged 31 with the bat and has taken 32 wickets @ 35 with the ball

The important point is that he isn't currently good enough to bat top 6 or be a frontline bowler :laugh:
I don't think anybody here is claiming that Watson has performed well enough to be a genuine top 6 batsman or a frontline bowler though. It's a weird straw man that you've constructed here -- "People don't want Faulkner at 6, so let's slam known CW-darling Shane Watson for not having better stats in that role."

I use the term "literally nobody" incorrectly on a fairly regular basis. But this is one case where I'm not. Literally nobody that springs to mind thinks Shane Watson has performed nearly well enough post-2011. Nobody denies that Watson isn't performing well enough to be a top 6 batsman or a frontline bowler; we're all just resigned to the fact that he's going to keep being picked.

This is a genuine question: but why is Faulkner so disliked on this forum? I haven't followed all the discussions here but whenever I'm around there seems almost a disappointment if he does well (e.g. MOM for WC final). I'm genuinely interested as from where I stand he clearly has that X factor - not nec. for test selection yet but no reason to hate on the guy. Indeed, to revel in the promise. Anyway, interested if anyone feels like proffering a response.
Long story short, because he's a dick.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
If the question is "we need a better allrounder than Watson" then Forkers is an option. The problem is that I don't think he can bat 6 so Rad has to move up a spot to accommodate him. That throws the balance out IMO. Marsh and Moz are better suited to 6.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think any of them are *really* Test #6s. It's just that Haddin isn't a #6 either -- he's not good enough these days to be above 7.

If we had a 'keeper who averaged 40+ without being useless whenever he leaves Australia (i.e. Gilchrist), then we could afford to include Faulkner in the genuine all-rounder discussion. But we don't, so batting > bowling in these considerations.

FBU

International Debutant
Johnson has said that he only wants to bowl short spells of 3 or 4 overs as it affects his pace when bowling more. If the coach has agreed on that then Siddle would be needed as I don't think Hazlewood has the experience of doing that job at 24. He has only played 30 f/c games. Watson and Marsh are injury prone but would fox the England batsmen. Both have 5fers against them. Watson. 2 in Tests and Marsh in an ODI. I wonder if Siddle's bunny, KP might be playing.

Spark

Global Moderator
If the English contrive to give MMarsh another 5-for then they should just give up tbh

Antihippy

International Debutant
Johnson has said that he only wants to bowl short spells of 3 or 4 overs as it affects his pace when bowling more. If the coach has agreed on that then Siddle would be needed as I don't think Hazlewood has the experience of doing that job at 24. He has only played 30 f/c games. Watson and Marsh are injury prone but would fox the England batsmen. Both have 5fers against them. Watson. 2 in Tests and Marsh in an ODI. I wonder if Siddle's bunny, KP might be playing.
Hazlewood is actually pretty good at containing. Last test against the indians he got through 17 overs for 31 runs on a deck that is as flat as a pancake. and that spell contained a ridiculous run of 8 overs 6 maidens and 3 runs.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
It's less whether he can keep the runs down and more whether he's physically capable of that sort of workload at this stage of his career.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And yet everyone loves Steve Smith. Who, as a junior at least, was the biggest **** i've ever met.
Faulkner's Test debut sealed it for me, chirping away like a prick at anyone and everyone. Mate, you're on debut bowling **** in a team that's 3-0 down, wind your neck in.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Faulkner's Test debut sealed it for me, chirping away like a prick at anyone and everyone. Mate, you're on debut bowling **** in a team that's 3-0 down, wind your neck in.
Faulkner backs it up

I have no time for those who chirp and cant perform

Shady Slim

International Coach
prefer henriques to faulkner only because he seems like a genuinely top bloke and i feel he wouldn't get out trying to slog over mid wicket as much

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
prefer henriques to faulkner only because he seems like a genuinely top bloke and i feel he wouldn't get out trying to slog over mid wicket as much
Faulkner has the big game and big-moment mentality. Pressure of the situation elevates him to the next level. I don't see that with Henriques.