• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fourday Tests and the 4DTWC

Shady Slim

International Coach
So here is a very left field idea that I don't think is going to be met with the most positive comments as it is very left field but since it's a good idea in my mind here it is:

Fourday tests, to be from now known as 4Ds or 4DTs, put in to a world cup format,

The 4DT
-Four innings
----->One inning is each day
-The team that is the toss victor gets innings 1,3
-90ov/day
-If captains of a team do not get through their required overs, they don't have a fine. However instead of a fine, that amount of overs will be deducted from his team's next inning.
-After 90ov then what is going to happen is the same as a regular ODI or T20 once quota of overs is reached
-As per what would happen in a regular test, last day is able to go overtime
-For ties there is a super fiver (super over except it's five overs)
-For rain there is a system where the corresponding innings of the next team goes to what ever amount of overs the rain delayed team had
----->so effectively if australia bat the first innings but because of rain only get 74 overs, that is what the next team are going to get for the second innings but the third and fourth stay 90

The 4DTWC
-16 teams that are based on the icc rankings, four groups of four
-Groups are:
----->A -> 1,16, 8,9
----->B -> 2, 15, 7, 10
----->C -> 3, 14, 6, 11
----->D -> 4, 13, 5, 12
-Four tests for each "set", a test from each group
----->Sets are each a period of four days
-Top two from each group go to the next round
-If there is a tie for a knockout it is still a super fiver, and knockouts are as follows:
----->QF1 -> A1vD2
----->QF2 -> B1vC2
----->QF3 -> D1vA2
----->QF4 -> C1vD2
-Semis:
----->SF1 -> QF1vQF4
----->SF2 -> QF2vQF3

Any questions?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Good brainstorming. I like your creativity.

I guess my immediate reaction is about the world cup. The pool play would take forever.

I also wonder how attacking teams would be - I imagine teams would try to bat at a run rate of at least 4 an over and would try through accelerating at the end to get to 400 off their 90 overs.

Good thinking anyway.

Shady Slim

International Coach
doing math it seems that six games per pool times four days equals 24 days for the pool play

issue is that realistically all of the finals would be seperate days which means 16(QF)+8(SF)+4(FF) is more than the pool stages

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
doing math it seems that six games per pool times four days equals 24 days for the pool play

issue is that realistically all of the finals would be seperate days which means 16(QF)+8(SF)+4(FF) is more than the pool stages
My concern is that you would need at least 3-4 days rest between each test. Maybe even longer.(edit oh wait does your 24 days allow for rest time...question)

I think you might be able to run half of the quarterfinals at the same time though.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
scheduling it:

D1-D4
1v16
2v15
3v14
4v13
D5-D8 (reckon rest is not necessary as these teams have not played yet)
8v9
7v10
6v11
5v12
-3 days-
D12-D15
1v8
2v7
3v6
4v5
-one day-
D17-D20
9v16
10v15
11v14
12v13
-four days-
D25-D28
1v9
2v10
3v11
4v12
-one day-
D30-D33
8v16
7v15
6v14
5v13

and then a few days before the finals

yeah you're actually right my bad forgetting about rest days

say there is four days before the quarters then D38-41 are quarters
D45-48 semis
D51-54 final
eh, well that is quite long

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Good work on the schedule Shady.

Well the ODI world cup is 43 days so 54 days isn't too much worse. You may also need some reserve days built in - so probably you are talking an even 60 days.

Another option is to reduce this to a 10 team tournament or a 12 team tournament at most. I don't think I could be bothered watching the blackcaps vs UAE for four days.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Good work on the schedule Shady.

Well the ODI world cup is 43 days so 54 days isn't too much worse. You may also need some reserve days built in - so probably you are talking an even 60 days.

Another option is to reduce this to a 10 team tournament or a 12 team tournament at most. I don't think I could be bothered watching the blackcaps vs UAE for four days.
this is also true

12 would be the best probably with four pools of three with four games/pool so that is going to effectively get rid of D20-D33 reserves notwithstanding

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
-For rain there is a system where the corresponding innings of the next team goes to what ever amount of overs the rain delayed team had
----->so effectively if australia bat the first innings but because of rain only get 74 overs, that is what the next team are going to get for the second innings but the third and fourth stay 90
So if Australia make 368 on day 1
and then on day 2 Scotland are 3/41 off 22 overs and then it rains all day. What happens?

Also, if a team gets bowled out before 90 overs, is it stumps?

Shady Slim

International Coach
well theoretically if it were say, 37 overs to have a minimum innings, Scotland would get to go to 37 early the very next day, and then the third innings of the aussies would also have 37

regarding bowling a team out i was thinking of giving bonus overs to the bowling team as a reward but nah, they get to just start their 90 overs then

well

unless there is a better option

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
So here is a very left field idea that I don't think is going to be met with the most positive comments as it is very left field but since it's a good idea in my mind here it is:

Fourday tests, to be from now known as 4Ds or 4DTs, put in to a world cup format,

The 4DT
-Four innings
----->One inning is each day
-The team that is the toss victor gets innings 1,3
-90ov/day
-If captains of a team do not get through their required overs, they don't have a fine. However instead of a fine, that amount of overs will be deducted from his team's next inning.
-After 90ov then what is going to happen is the same as a regular ODI or T20 once quota of overs is reached
-As per what would happen in a regular test, last day is able to go overtime
-For ties there is a super fiver (super over except it's five overs)

The 4DTWC
-16 teams that are based on the icc rankings, four groups of four
-Groups are:
----->A -> 1,16, 8,9
----->B -> 2, 15, 7, 10
----->C -> 3, 14, 6, 11
----->D -> 4, 13, 5, 12
-Four tests for each "set", a test from each group
----->Sets are each a period of four days
-Top two from each group go to the next round
-If there is a tie for a knockout it is still a super fiver, and knockouts are as follows:
----->QF1 -> A1vD2
----->QF2 -> B1vC2
----->QF3 -> D1vA2
----->QF4 -> C1vD2
-Semis:
----->SF1 -> QF1vQF4
----->SF2 -> QF2vQF3

Any questions?
Can't legally drive yet you think you can legislate our game? Embarrassing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I actually think we can do 4 day tests if we play 7 hours instead of 6 and get 105 overs in a day. That would mean we could potentially get 420 overs of cricket in and the max for tests right now is 450.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I actually think we can do 4 day tests if we play 7 hours instead of 6 and get 105 overs in a day. That would mean we could potentially get 420 overs of cricket in and the max for tests right now is 450.
Why do even need to reduce a day? The 5th day play doesn't happen in more than half the matches anyways....

Ali TT

International Debutant
Can't legally drive yet you think you can legislate our game? Embarrassing.
Do actual cricket legislators have driving licences and does that give us confidence in it being a valuable measure of ability with regards both cricket legislation or operating an automobile?

Last edited: