• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cool Cricketers

Niall

International Coach
Faf for me, best looking man in cricket and just suave as hell. I remember him talking about moisturising when on commentary v New Zealand, the guy is cool personified.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Curtly is clearly the coolest chap ever to grace tests.

Rahul Dravid was a pretty low temperature fella too tho; exuded a calm, unshowy, capable sort of coolness. Was cool precisely because he didn't try to be.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
How cool was Joel Garner:) Made the batsmen experience hell while not reacting at all.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Viv was damn cool
tbh a serious attempt at an all time Cool XI may well be entirely made up of West Indians.

Off the top of my head
1. Gayle
2. Greenidge / Haynes
3. Richards
4. Richardson
5. Lloyd
6. Hooper
7. Dujon
8. Ambrose
9. Roberts
10. Holding
11. Garner
or several other WI quicks

Part of the appeal, of course, is that they tended to stfu whilst simply getting on with demolishing you.
Gayle is the exception to the 2nd half of that particular rule of course, but denying his coolness would just be silly.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't agree with a lot of your list though. Some WI were cool but not all of them. I never found anything cool about haynes or Richardson or even greenidge

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My version of cool XI would be:

Chris Gayle
David Gower
Viv Richards *
Mark Waugh
Dennis Compton
Jack Gregory
Farohk Engineer +
Keith Miller
Imran Khan
Richie Benaud
Curtly Ambrose

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another reason why we should stop referring to Border as AB. The real AB is a cool bloke who smashes inept attacks for fun and then wins nobel prizes with ease.
Stop this malarkey immediately.

At best, de Villiers is ABII. ABIII is Burgeinho who, by no accident, has the same initials as Allan Border.

thierry henry

International Coach
For mine Gayle is still the biggest try-hard in the universe. He's cool in the way that Dan Bilzerian is cool (i.e. he isn't).

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Viv was / is super cool. Deserves a separate category.

In modern times, it's got to be Dhoni, especially when batting. Swats the ball and doesn't even give a half smile.

Tooj

Cricket Spectator
Of all time it has to be Sir Viv, without a shadow of a doubt.

Gayle comes across as an obvious choice of those still playing. (Competing is another thing mind)

Also felt like Vettori has always came across as a bit of a cool character.

Sangakkara is another one I'd say is pretty cool, just has that lush laid back demeanour about him.

Last edited:

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
The coolest 2 I remember growing up and who every kid wanted to be in the backyard cricket games was either Viv Richards or Dean Jones