• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting question

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Ok everyone

In a club match something interesting happened. This is the situation. I know the correct answer but would like to quiz you guys on it.

A batter did a drop and run. No fielders atempted to get the ball so they took of for a second run. On the way back, the batter managed to kick the ball onto the stumps. No fielder has touched the ball. Is the batter out? and if he is, how is he out?

I will post the answer sometime soon, but would be interested to see your answer.

Bouncer

State Regular
He could be run out, since he is taking the run so the ball wouldnot be dead yet...just a guess.:)

Slow Love™

International Captain
You'd presume that similar conditions would apply as when a batsmen drives the ball into the stumps at the bowler's end, and the non-striker is out of his ground. The non-striker isn't out unless the fielding team intervened with the ball on it's way somehow.

The only way I could see the guy given out would perhaps be via some archaic "interference" law, where he kicked the ball when a fielder was reaching for it (the fact that it hit the stumps probably wouldn't matter though, just that he kicked it away).

I can't really see how it could be given out, outside of that. Hit wicket isn't possible after the natural completion of your shot, rather than your run. So I'd say not out - I have a feeling you're gonna say it's out though, 'cause otherwise, it seems obvious.

Bouncer

State Regular
SL, your answer makes more sense. Here is one thread i am checking back tomorrow morning...gotta sleep now.

FRAZ

International Captain
Once the bowl becomes dead then it cant be a hit wicket and while no filder didnt touch it so its no even a run out .

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I agree with the earlier posts that the only way it could be given out is if there was interference with a fielder going for the ball when the batsman kicked it. The result could be obstructing the field. I think Len Hutton is the only guy to be given out in this manner in the history of test cricket.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
If I read correctly, the batsman managed to kick it onto his own stumps.

Since no fielder touched it, wouldn't it be bowled, or playing it on?

It's the same as having a shot, it hitting your pad and going onto the stumps or did I read this wrong...

shankar

International Debutant
The batsman's not out.
1.He is not out bowled because he kicked the ball onto the stumps after he'd completed his stroke.
2.even if he was out of his crease he wasnt runout since no fielder has touched the ball.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, another question. Say a batsman edges the ball and is caught by a fielder, the umpire says not out, but the batsman walks anyway (e.g. Adam Gilchrist in WC). Even after the batsman walks, the umpire still doesn't raise his finger or indicate that the batsman is out. Shouldn't he technically be on the scoresheet as 'Retired Out' instead of 'Caught'?

FRAZ

International Captain
Adamc said:
Ok, another question. Say a batsman edges the ball and is caught by a fielder, the umpire says not out, but the batsman walks anyway (e.g. Adam Gilchrist in WC). Even after the batsman walks, the umpire still doesn't raise his finger or indicate that the batsman is out. Shouldn't he technically be on the scoresheet as 'Retired Out' instead of 'Caught'?
LOLOL
NO

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
FRAZ said:
Why not? It is the umpires job to decide if a player is out and how he is out. If the umpire deems him to not be out, then 'Retired Out' is the only other option.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
Why not? It is the umpires job to decide if a player is out and how he is out. If the umpire deems him to not be out, then 'Retired Out' is the only other option.

doesn't matter, hes still out

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
No but say AA:P has taken 9 wickets in the innings and he edges it to slip umpire says not out batsman walks AA takes 9 wickets

9If that made an sence

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I wouldn't have thought he'd be out, especially as they were going for a second run - he could hardly be out hit wicket could he?

Andre

International Regular
The only possible way this person could be out is if they are dismissed obstructing the field.

It's not hit wicket - they havn't hit there stumps in the act of playing a shot. Its not run out unless a member of the opposition side has touched the ball, and it's most certainly not bowled.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Andre said:
and it's most certainly not bowled.
Youve given reasons for the other two obvious not outs, but no reason for not being bowled. I think he is bowled. I dont think there is a rule that says if you complete a run, then you cant be bowled. I dont think they would even think of the possiblility. So I most definately say he is out, bowled. But what a way to go!

James

Cricket Web Owner
I read that the batsman is not out:

Law 38 (Run out)
1. Out Run out
(a) Either batsman is out Run out, except as in 2 below, if at any time while the ball is in play
(i) he is out of his ground
and (ii) his wicket is fairly put down by the opposing side.

(b) (a) above shall apply even though No ball has been called and whether or not a run is being attempted, except in the circumstances of Law 39.3(b) (Not out Stumped).

2. Batsman not Run out
Notwithstanding 1 above, a batsman is not out Run out if
(a) he has been within his ground and has subsequently left it to avoid injury, when the wicket is put down.

(b) the ball has not subsequently been touched again by a fielder, after the bowler has entered his delivery stride, before the wicket is put down.

(c) the ball, having been played by the striker, or having come off his person, directly strikes a helmet worn by a fielder and without further contact with him or any other fielder rebounds directly on to the wicket. However, the ball remains in play and either batsman may be Run out in the circumstances of 1 above if a wicket is subsequently put down.

(d) he is out Stumped. See Law 39.1(b) (Out Stumped).

(e) he is out of his ground, not attempting a run and his wicket is fairly put down by the wicket-keeper without the intervention of another member of the fielding side, if No ball has been called. See Law 39.3(b) (Not out Stumped).

3. Which batsman is out
The batsman out in the circumstances of 1 above is the one whose ground is at the end where the wicket is put down. See Laws 2.8 (Transgression of the Laws by a batsman who has a runner) and 29.2 (Which is a batsman's ground).

4. Runs scored
If a batsman is dismissed Run out, the batting side shall score the runs completed before the dismissal, together with the penalty for a No ball or a Wide, if applicable. Other penalties to either side that may be awarded when the ball is dead shall also stand. See Law 42.17 (Penalty runs).
If, however, a striker with a runner is himself dismissed Run out, runs completed by the runner and the other batsman before the dismissal shall not be scored. The penalty for a No ball or a Wide and any other penalties to either side that may be awarded when the ball is dead shall stand. See Laws 2.8 (Transgression of the Laws by a batsman who has a runner) and 42.17(b) (Penalty runs).

5. Bowler does not get credit
The bowler does not get credit for the wicket.