• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best XI with no century or 5w haul to their name

cpr

International Coach
I'm sure I put a post earlier this morning mentioning Botham, along with Willis and Underwood (and Tony Greig)..... I'm going mad....

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Mohammad Shami deserves a mention in the ODI side, although it won't be long before he gets a 5-fer.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh, and Sobers for the ODI side, obvs.

More seriously, I'd nominate Adam Dale who I always rated highly as an ODI bowler, and he never got better than a 3-fer.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was going to say Slasher McKay must be a lock, but turns out he has a five-for. Two, in fact.

Bert Oldfield for keeper?

Maybe a bowling all-rounder spot for Richard "son of Len" Hutton?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Was going to say Slasher McKay must be a lock, but turns out he has a five-for. Two, in fact.

Bert Oldfield for keeper?

Maybe a bowling all-rounder spot for Richard "son of Len" Hutton?
The latter must be a shoe-in for the 'only selected due to family connections XI', along with Chris Cowdrey, Trevor Chappell and, iirc, Derek Pringle.

Flametree

International 12th Man
There was a third Hadlee brother who got an ODI cap iirc
Barry. He was a stalwart Cantab opener who got appreciably better as he got older. Probably a bit unlucky not to get a test or two actually (he ended with a higher first class average than Terry Jarvis, who played 13 tests, for instance). But his selection for the one day team was a bit bizarre as he wasn't even in the Canterbury one day side at the time I don't think.

Test xi
Bob Bolus
Chetan Chauhan
Bruce Laird
Asim Kamal
Barry Shepherd
Jock Cameron (wk)
Alan Fairfax
Roy Kilner
Winston Benjamin
Tony Gray
Mike Hendrick

A couple of fairly random choices - hard to find a good spinner. Murali Kartik was a choice but felt I needed more of an allrounder. For those who've never heard of Roy Kilner, he took about 1000 wickets for Yorkshire at an average of 18 despite starting life as a batsman and missing the four seasons of WW1. Averaged 33 with the bat and 30 with ball in his 9 tests.

West Indies had plenty of choices I know but how Tony Gray didn't get a lot more games at both ODIs and Tests is one of life's great mysteries..

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I was hoping to be able to nominate WG Grace, as I knew he started his test career at some ripe old age, but it turns out that he hit a couple of massive tons against Australia even then.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There was a third Hadlee brother who got an ODI cap iirc
Without checking their records, there was also Ron Headley, who gained a few test caps in the early 1970's. Not quite as great as his dad, iirc,

And wasn't there another Gavaskar in the Indian side about 10 years ago? It'll probably turn out he was no relation to Sunil.

With all the Mohammeds who played for Pakistan in the 1950's, 60's & 70's, you'd think there must be a mediocre family member who got a game or two, but I don't remember any.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Without checking their records, there was also Ron Headley, who gained a few test caps in the early 1970's. Not quite as great as his dad, iirc,

And wasn't there another Gavaskar in the Indian side about 10 years ago? It'll probably turn out he was no relation to Sunil.

With all the Mohammeds who played for Pakistan in the 1950's, 60's & 70's, you'd think there must be a mediocre family member who got a game or two, but I don't remember any.
Rohan Gavaskar | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Gavaskar's son. Ironically he joined the ICL for a while.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dwayne Smith - won't
Chamu Chibhabha - won't
Misbah-ul-Haq - won't
Sohaib Maqsood - will
Samiullah Shenwari - will
Sean Williams - might not
Niall O'Brien (+) - won't
Darren Sammy - won't
Rangana Herath - won't
Mohammad Shami - will
Mohammad Irfan - might break down
I'd be really surprised if Niall O'Brien never scored an ODI ton.