• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh...

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Can they start to push on and improve in international cricket now (I am writing this prior to the WC 1/4 final so hope this isn't a thrashing)?

The basis of a decent team looks to be forming and some other teams may struggle a bit in the foreseeable future (WI, SL & Pak with retirements; England due to chaos). I couldn't be bothered putting a poll together, but hope to see Bang more competitive

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think about 5 or 6 years ago I suggested Bangladesh could win the 2019 World Cup. I think that was a little premature, but I really hope they kick on given the amount of talent they've got coming through now. They just really need some fast bowlers who are both a) good and b) have functioning knees.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think about 5 or 6 years ago I suggested Bangladesh could win the 2019 World Cup. I think that was a little premature, but I really hope they kick on given the amount of talent they've got coming through now. They just really need some fast bowlers who are both a) good and b) have functioning knees.
see i would encourage Bangladesh to try to find some Ryan Harris-like bowlers

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Back in 2012 when they almost won the Asia Cup, then beat New Zealand and West Indies at home, and guys like Mushfiq, Tamim, Shakib, were establishing themselves, I felt they were finally arriving. 3 years later, I actually think their cricket has gone backwards. This is not based on the performance against India in the QF or the World Cup. But overall watching their performance in 2014.

Even yesterday, one bad decision seemed to have broken their spirit. You cannot compete at international level if you are that weak mentally.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Dunno. A weak mentality can be turned around from just a few victories. Teams just get into a cycle of losing. look at the West Indies. I feel like success can turn this around, look at NZ...unless youre from the African continent

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
They had a winning momentum from 2012-2013 period. Early in 2014 they had Sri Lanka 67/8 but then went on to lose that game. They went on to lose every game in 2014 (except beating Zimbabwe) including losing to Afghanistan at home, Hong Kong at home in a T20 game.
I agree to an extent that a win can turn things around. For example, they would not have scored 289 against New Zealand if they had not beaten England and qualified for the QF.
Having said, once you find yourself in crunch situations, if you break apart, you are finished. And the reason I am being harsh on this is because after playing test cricket for 15 years they should be able to handle situations like these. If this were Ireland or Afghanistan I can understand. This is where Associates fall behind, because they lose the key moments. Bangladesh should not be doing this at this stage.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look a couple of borders over and poach some quicks from Afghanistan who seem to be overflowing with blokes with wheels.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
They had a winning momentum from 2012-2013 period. Early in 2014 they had Sri Lanka 67/8 but then went on to lose that game. They went on to lose every game in 2014 (except beating Zimbabwe) including losing to Afghanistan at home, Hong Kong at home in a T20 game.
I agree to an extent that a win can turn things around. For example, they would not have scored 289 against New Zealand if they had not beaten England and qualified for the QF.
Having said, once you find yourself in crunch situations, if you break apart, you are finished. And the reason I am being harsh on this is because after playing test cricket for 15 years they should be able to handle situations like these. If this were Ireland or Afghanistan I can understand. This is where Associates fall behind, because they lose the key moments. Bangladesh should not be doing this at this stage.
Last year was horrible in terms of limited overs. Everything went wrong in and out. Mushy's captaincy took a dip, Nasir's form went down, Shakib got banned and Jurgensen had dispute with the board. Test results for the last couple of years have been somewhat better than the past. Out of 13, 4 matches won against Zimbabwe and draws came against New Zealand and Sri Lanka. Come this world cup, there are signs of improvement. Talking about pressure situation, I think the team did well. Against both England and New Zealand we were two down in no time in swinging conditions and the team did well to put scores of 270 odd. I agree that we should be doing much better after playing 15 years of test cricket. Hope the players take positives from the world cup and become a formidable unit. The group of players that are coming through makes me believe that we will be far more competetive in near future. Domestic competetion is more stronger now although a lot needs to be done in resurrecting pitches.

Think the upcoming home series against South Africa will be very crucial. Hope we dont just make those slow and low pitches.

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
A lot of people have appreciated Bangladesh's effort in the WC. But if you look at their overall track record, they haven't achieved much despite of getting so many opportunities.

If you look at the growth of sides like Ireland or Afghanistan, they have achieved a lot in a matter of years despite of limited opportunities and resources. Ireland would have been a much stronger side if some of their players wouldn't have switched to the English side. If ICC backs Ireland, they can turn in to a strong side in the next 5-10 years and their talented players will stick with them rather than playing for some other country.

On the other hand we have Bangladesh, they have been playing the top 10 teams more regularly and have been around for a really long time. But results haven't been that great. And their negative mentality in test cricket is another issue. Just creating flat home pitches and going for draws isn't taking them anywhere.

Even in this WC, people feel Bangladesh have improved because they have qualified for the quarter finals, but they didn't perform exceptionally well. The only difference they made was just that one match when they met an under confident and under pressure English side which crumbled under pressure. In fact I would even go on to say that Ireland and Zimbabwe were a lot more competitive in this WC and showed a lot more intent. Zimbabwe is unlucky that they couldn't register a couple of more victories.

I don't think this Bangladesh team deserves a test status. It hasn't showed enough growth if your consider the amount of exposure they are getting as compared to other teams.

Yes, they do have a decent bowling line-up and a couple of match-winners with the bat, but they should have achieved a lot more by now.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'll be sure to bump this in 4 years time when they're once again showing a bit of promise.

Their bowlers were absolute piss against Scotland (which makes England's capitulation all the funnier), they're still miles away from being remotely competitive.