• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb's twenty greatest ODI players of all time

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
One of these days you'll say something that makes people laugh with you rather than at you in derision.

watson

Banned
Thought that my initial list was silly. So here is a revised one.

01. Viv Richards
02. Sachin Tendulkar
03. Glenn McGrath
04. Ricky Ponting
05. Adam Gilchrist
06. Sanath Jayasuriya
07. Joel Garner
08. AB De Villiers
09. Brian Lara
10. Wasim Akram

11. Jacques Kallis
12. Muttiah Muralitharan
13. Shaun Pollock
14. Michael Bevan
15. MS Dhoni
16. Matthew Hayden
17. Mark Waugh
18. Kapil Dev
19. Shane Warne
20. Allan Donald

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Dean Jones over Tendulkar and Kapil Dev above Akram? Come on.

Like the Inzi vote though... underrated ODI great.
Dean Jones had an ODI average of 44 in the 1980s. If you could design an ODI batsman it would be him. He was never elegant and at times was a bit gangly when he tried to muscle the ball. But boy was his batting IQ high. His personal IQ is another question. But he understood batting.
He belongs in the top 3 ODI players of all time. And in some ways I thought he was a bigger wicket than Viv as Viv was a bit hot and cold. Jones always showed up.
Note - I don't rate him in tests at all. His 200 in India notwithstanding.

viriya

International Captain
Best ODI cricketer != Best ODI batsman != Best ODI bowler

This thread was doomed to fail from the start.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Dean Jones had an ODI average of 44 in the 1980s. If you could design an ODI batsman it would be him. He was never elegant and at times was a bit gangly when he tried to muscle the ball. But boy was his batting IQ high. His personal IQ is another question. But he understood batting.
He belongs in the top 3 ODI players of all time. And in some ways I thought he was a bigger wicket than Viv as Viv was a bit hot and cold. Jones always showed up.
This is correct. Ranking Jones right up with ODI greats is absolutely correct.

Camo999

State 12th Man
1. V Richards
2. Wasim Akram
3. McGrath
4. Tendulkar
5. Murali
6. Garner
7. Gilchrist
8. De Villiers
9. Ponting
10. Kapil
11. Hadlee
12. Jayasuriya
13. D Jones
14. Sanga
15. Ambrose
16. Dhoni
17. Kohli
18. Klusener
19. Lara
20. Bond

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This is correct. Ranking Jones right up with ODI greats is absolutely correct.
I showed favouritism in my list towards people who were especially good at odis rather than just amazing cricketers who were good at every form of the game like hadlee and Imran.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can we just get this list of the greatest out of the way for the more sensitive NZ fans around these parts? It would have to be:

McCullum
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Anderson
Elliott
Ronchi
Vettori
Southee
Milne
Boult

Daylight

Viv Richards
Tendulkar
Seven other blokes on the periphery of the current NZ WC squad.

Remember, if you don't agree with this list you must not be giving NZ the credit they deserve.

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
Can we just get this list of the greatest out of the way for the more sensitive NZ fans around these parts? It would have to be:

McCullum
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Anderson
Elliott
Ronchi
Vettori
Southee
Milne
Boult

Daylight

Viv Richards
Tendulkar

Remember, if you don't agree with this list you must not be giving NZ the credit they deserve.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I loved watching Deano in the canary yellow. Not just his batting, but his quickness in the field, his strong throwing arm and his running between wickets.

I remember watching (on TV) his 145 at the Gabba and thinking holy ****, I can't believe how close this guy was to making 150 inside 50 overs!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Best ODI cricketer != Best ODI batsman != Best ODI bowler

This thread was doomed to fail from the start.
Best ODI All-rounder != Best ODI cricketer

This thread was never doomed to fail (unlike some useless and plain bad ranking websites that serve no purpose).

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

McCullum
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Anderson
Elliott
Ronchi
Vettori
Southee
Milne
Boult

Daylight

Viv Richards
Tendulkar

Haha after India and SL, Burgey is now after NZ. I'm not complaining as long as this post contains Tendulkar. :p

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
All-Rounder = Batting * Bowling
Cricketer = Batting + Bowling
I've solved those 2 equations for you.

All-Rounder=Cricketer*Batting - Batting^2

Now, apply this new formula in your website and spare us.

Last edited: