• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb's twenty greatest ODI players of all time

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath

MS Dhoni
Joel Garner
Michael Bevan
AB de Villiers
Jacques Kallis

Shaun Pollock
Sanath Jayasuriya
Ricky Ponting
Saqlain Mushtaq
Zaheer Abbas
Dean Jones
Gordon Greenidge
Waqar Younis
Alan Donald
Lance Klusener

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
1. SR Tendulkar
2. IVA Richards
3. MS Dhoni
4. Wasim Akram
5. Michael Bevan

6. GD McGrath
7. AC Gilchrist
8. Sanath Jayasuryia
9. J Garner
10. M Muralitharan

11. AB Devilliers
12. Ricky Ponting
13. Kapil Dev
14. Shaun Pollock
15. Saqlain Mushtaq
16. Michael Hussey
17. Jacques Kallis
18. Saurav Ganguly
19. Yuvraj Singh
20. Virat Kohli

viriya

International Captain
Yeah but you're overrating him because you think everyone is underrating him. He's a great test player, no doubt... if someone wants to put him #2 all time in tests, I won't argue because I can see a solid case for him.

But in ODis? Just no.
No, I'm saying he's underrated in ODIs as well because he played the role of the accumulator.

smash84

The Tiger King
Viv
SRT
Wasim
McG

After my first 4 none are in any particular order

Dhoni
Bevan
Waqar
Donald
Murali
Jayasuriya
Kapil Dev
Garner
Hadlee
Saqlain
Hussey
Ponting
Miandad
Abdv
kohli
Pollock

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath

MS Dhoni
Joel Garner
Michael Bevan
AB de Villiers
Jacques Kallis

Shaun Pollock
Sanath Jayasuriya
Ricky Ponting
Saqlain Mushtaq
Zaheer Abbas
Dean Jones
Gordon Greenidge
Waqar Younis
Alan Donald
Lance Klusener
Gordon Greenidge? really? The guy was an incredibly devastating test batsman and few hit the ball harder, but was a decidedly average OD player who had a SR of 64.

Even his good mate Haynes >>> Greenidge in ODIs for a start.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gordon Greenidge? really? The guy was an incredibly devastating test batsman and few hit the ball harder, but was a decidedly average OD player who had a SR of 64.

That's some weird logic considering Haynes had an even lower SR of 63. :laugh:

Fact is, top order bastmen at the time had a different approach to the ODI game and consolidation was the name of the game in the first 15-20 overs instead of out and out attack. A Sr of 65 (equivalent to 4 runs/over) was decent for the time I would think. It's why I say repeatedly why Viv's SR of 91 is absolutely absurd

watson

Banned

The SR for Greenidge's era was 65.99, and the top order average was 29.33.

Since Greenidge's SR was par for his era, averaged an excellent 45.03, and was an allround legend, I rate Greenidge in the top 5 batsman of the 80s. Comfortably.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Greenidge is my first choice to open with Tendulkar in AT ODI XI (although gets tipped by need of an all rounder often). He was an immense ODI player. How many batsmen in that era averaged as much as he did? As opener, his SR is par for course. Swashbuckling openers appeared on the scene in 90's only. Also look at how often he made match affecting contribution. His MoM to matches ratio is next only to Viv Richards and higher even than Tendulkar. That when he had solid competition from within his team. Complete legend and it bothers me that he is extremely underrated. In fact after your post I am tempeted to elevate him to top 10 in protest :ph34r:

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Top 10 by matches per MoM (min 10 MoMs):

PlayerMatchesMoMsMatches per MoM
IVA Richards (WI)187316.03
CG Greenidge (WI)128206.40
HM Amla (SA)114167.13
SR Tendulkar (India)463627.47
MD Crowe (NZ)143197.53
V Kohli (India)157207.85
AB de Villiers (Afr/SA)186228.45
Saeed Anwar (Pak)247288.82
NJ Astle (NZ)223258.92
L Klusener (SA)171199.00

Teja.

Global Moderator
World Cup Group games are not the highest level,
Haha, that was such an amazing post. Just imagined watson looking up pure WC stats on howstat with zero context and posting them up being indulgently happy to be proved correct against muppets like us.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Top 10 by matches per MoM (min 10 MoMs):

PlayerMatchesMoMsMatches per MoM
IVA Richards (WI)187316.03
CG Greenidge (WI)128206.40
HM Amla (SA)114167.13
SR Tendulkar (India)463627.47
MD Crowe (NZ)143197.53
V Kohli (India)157207.85
AB de Villiers (Afr/SA)186228.45
Saeed Anwar (Pak)247288.82
NJ Astle (NZ)223258.92
L Klusener (SA)171199.00
Staggering that Tendulkar has 62 MoMs. Current ODI greats like Amla and AB are barely on 16 and 22 respectively - that's 1/4 and 1/3. I know it's similar in %, but some things are not always linear. Sachin just kept dominating games through the years.

It would be interesting to do a bell curve of MoMs by absolute number. Tendulkar would be far ahead of the rest of the pack.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Staggering that Tendulkar has 62 MoMs. Current ODI greats like Amla and AB are barely on 16 and 22 respectively - that's 1/4 and 1/3. I know it's similar in %, but some things are not always linear. Sachin just kept dominating games through the years.

It would be interesting to do a bell curve of MoMs by absolute number. Tendulkar would be far ahead of the rest of the pack.
Second highest is Jayasuriya with 48. http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283705.html

longranger

U19 Cricketer

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My list will be a bit a suspect as I will only go with players I am familiar with nonetheless here it is...

1 Joel Garner
2 Viv Richards
3 Dean Jones
4 AB Devilliers
5 Martin Crowe
6 Amla
7 Tendulkar
8 Kapil Dev
9 Wasim Akram
10 Nathan Astle
11 Vettori
12 Nathan Bracken
13 Simon O'Donnell
14 Chris Cairns
15 Inzimam
16 Dhoni
17 Bruce Reid
18 Brett Lee
19 Lance Cairns
20 Richard Reid (even though he only played like 3 times)

Shri

Mr. Glass
1. SR Tendulkar
2. IVA Richards
3. MS Dhoni
4. MG Bevan
5. AC Gilchrist

6. GD McGrath
7. M Muralitharan
8. S Pollock
9. A Donald
10. B Lee

11. W Akram
12. W Younis
13. V Kohli
14. L Klusener
15. M Hayden
16. S Ganguly
17. Ab de Villiers
18. S Jayasuriya
19. A de Silva
20. R Ponting

Batting heavy, yes.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Your #1 player will receive 7 votes VIV RICHARDS

Your #2 player will receive 6 votes SACHIN TENDULKAR

Your #3 player will receive 7 votes GLENN MCGRATH

Your #4 player will receive 4 votes RICKY PONTING

Your #5 player will receive 3 votes WASIM AKRAM

Your #6 to #10 players will each receive 2 votes MUTTIAH MURALITHARAN, ADAM GILCHRIST, KAPIL DEV, MICHAEL BEVAN, JOEL GARNER

Your #11 to # 20 players will each receive 1 vote SAQLAIN MUSHTAQ, AB DE VILLIERS, MS DHONI, DEAN JONES, SHAUN POLLOCK, VIRAT KOHLI, KUMAR SANGAKKARA, MARK WAUGH, CHAMINDA VAAS, ROHIT SHARMA.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
And then Kallis, Ponting and Afridi (wtf?!) on 32 each.

62 is quite the colossal score.

On a nerdy stat note, I crunched the numbers of all players with more than 10 ODI MoMs. Tendulkar is 3 standard deviations above the mean of this population, i.e. 99.7 percentile. Not too shabby.
Why is it surprising that Afridi has been a matchwinner?