• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the most underated and overated players

chicane

State Captain
Langeveldt said:
Boje - consecutive hundreds against NZ and a good SLA bowler.. Yet still people talk about Paul Adams and not Boje
Just ask Geoffery Boycott what he thinks.
Langeveldt said:
Ervine - The fact he shines in a mediocre team should have nothing to do with his rating.. Ditto Lara..
Yeah but mediocre team or not Ervine has got talent and has exhibited it against the best teams and Lara is the greatest batsman of this era.
Langeveldt said:
Gillespie - Seems to have been over shadowed by McGrath and Lee.. In my opinion anyway
Lee overshadowing Gillespie?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
This is seriously bordering on ignorance Rich. :) He's not a godsend, but no one rates him as one. Watch the young man bat. If that's not talented, I don't know what is.
Liam, when a guy turns up to test cricket who appears not to know his a*rse from his ear, it takes a lot to make me change my opinion...

Whilst I respect your opinion, just remember how much you were slating him earlier on in the year... He cant have changed that much!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chicane said:
Though nothing exceptional.
Yes he is. He catches almost everything that comes his way and has pulled off some amazing athletic fielding at times. The reason why people don't realize it is because he spends so much time at first slip.

Langeveldt

Soutie
chicane said:
Lee overshadowing Gillespie?

I meant in the public opinion... You hear more people raving about Brett Lee than Gillespie.. (Although less so as people realize who is better)

chicane

State Captain
Even Yuvraj Singh is under-rated then.....because he too has loads of talent with the bat, he too is a brilliant fielder and catcher, he bowls handy SLA's and is a proven matchwinner.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yes he is. He catches almost everything that comes his way and has pulled off some amazing athletic fielding at times. The reason why people don't realize it is because he spends so much time at first slip.
Dropped a couple of shockers vs England esp off Freddy when he got his ton and another time after the distraction with the umpire( can't remember who off), doesn't strike me as a top notch slip, certainly not in Flintoff's league.

Mr Mxyzptlk

twctopcat said:
Dropped a couple of shockers vs England esp off Freddy when he got his ton and another time after the distraction with the umpire( can't remember who off), doesn't strike me as a top notch slip, certainly not in Flintoff's league.
Lara is a very good slip catcher. That 'drop' off Flintoff is highly debateable IMO. Lara caught the ball quite clearly, but lost control when he was throwing it up into the air. If he hadn't made the dive to catch it again at that point, it would have been out, but that's just his instinct. The drop in the first Test was quite a shocker, but he injured his finger then too, so I assume he didn't sight the ball.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Whilst I respect your opinion, just remember how much you were slating him earlier on in the year... He cant have changed that much!
Well he's learned the value of rotating the strike and tends to delay his self-destruct mechanism until later on in his innings now.

Mr Mxyzptlk

chicane said:
Even Yuvraj Singh is under-rated then.....because he too has loads of talent with the bat, he too is a brilliant fielder and catcher, he bowls handy SLA's and is a proven matchwinner.
Yuvraj Singh is rated just about right IMO.

chicane

State Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Lara is a very good slip catcher. That 'drop' off Flintoff is highly debateable IMO. Lara caught the ball quite clearly, but lost control when he was throwing it up into the air. If he hadn't made the dive to catch it again at that point, it would have been out, but that's just his instinct. The drop in the first Test was quite a shocker, but he injured his finger then too, so I assume he didn't sight the ball.
But I've seen quite a few misfields by him....

Mr Mxyzptlk

chicane said:
But I've seen quite a few misfields by him....
The only fielder that I've never seen misfield a few times is Jonty. I'm sure he did so several times over his career too.

chicane

State Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The only fielder that I've never seen misfield a few times is Jonty. I'm sure he did so several times over his career too.
No I mean just in the space of the England series and this one.....

Mr Mxyzptlk

chicane said:
No I mean just in the space of the England series and this one.....
In that case you must be mistaken. I watched almost every ball of the series and didn't notice a significant misfield. Perhaps one of the English contingent could correct me?

chicane

State Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
In that case you must be mistaken. I watched almost every ball of the series and didn't notice a significant misfield. Perhaps one of the English contingent could correct me?
Even on day four of this match, during a dry session for WI, he misfielded a ball which was rolling slowly right at him and conceded an extra run. Closest I can remember.

chicane

State Captain
Sudeep Popat said:
IMO, those three are/were (whichever applies) better than Nehra.

Yes, Nehra is a reasonable catcher, but he doesn't have the spirit or will for saving runs. And you can't be a good fielder based on just catching.

Srinath wasn't the best of fielders, but even with a bad shoulder at times, he managed decently. I won't rate the three Kanatakites below Nehra.
Hey yeah I forgot Sourav Ganguly. How could I? :wacko: It's a hot contest between them.

Craig

World Traveller
Over-rated

Mohammed Sami
Brett Lee
Saqlain Mushtaq
Harbhajan Singh
Mahela Jayawardene
Craig McMillan
Dan Vettori

Under-rated

Heath Streak
Mark Richardson
Mike Kasprowicz
Shiverine Chanderpaul
Ridley Jacobs
VVS Laxman
Mark Butcher

That's about all for the moment.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The very fact that we list some players as over rated (or under rated) ensures that there will be disagreement otherwise how could they ever be considered over rated (or under rated in the first place).

So listing such players is fine, but arguing about it futile..almost by definition ! :p

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Over-rated: Mohammad Kaif, at least immediately after the NatWest Trophy, not so much now.

Under-rated: Scott Styris - like much of the NZ team, he seems to be anonymous.