• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the most underated and overated players

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jackster83 said:
Overrated - Marcus Trescothick: he only makes runs against weak teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh...
Only? Was I dreaming he scored that double against Pollock et al?

jackster83 said:
Heath Streak, Chaminda Vaas and Chanderpaul also deserve more respect because they too often have to carry their teams against the top sides in the world
Apart from Vaas and Chanderpaul, I'd agree! ;)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Apart from Vaas and Chanderpaul, I'd agree! ;)
You don't consider Chanderpaul under-rated?

Over-rated:

For each country.

Australia - NSW, MacGill, Gilchrist.
England - Collingwood, Croft.
India - Sehwag.
Pakistan - Hameed (still a big fan though).
Sri Lanka - pass...
Zimbabwe - pass...
New Zealand - pass...
South Africa - Hall, Smith.
West Indies - no one is rated highly enough to be over-rated... except for Lara and Chanderpaul, neither of whom are.

Under-rated:

Australia - Symonds.
England - Butcher.
India - Dravid (dare I say).
Pakistan - Saqlain.
Sri Lanka - Atapattu.
Zimbabwe - Streak, Taibu, Ervine.
New Zealand - Richardson, Hitchcock.
South Africa - Kallis, Ntini, Nel, Pollock.
West Indies - Chanderpaul, Jacobs, Collymore.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Over Rated

Ashish Nehra
Parthiv Patel
Tatenda Taibu
Nasser Hussain

Under Rated

Makhaya Ntini
Mark Richardson
Saqlain Mushtaq
Mushtaq Ahmed
Rahul Dravid
Jacques Kallis

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair call on Rahul Dravid...in India anyway he probably doesn't get the recognition he deserves because of the flashy style of batting that Sehwag & Tendulkar bring to the game.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
jackster83 said:
Overrated - Marcus Trescothick: he only makes runs against weak teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh...
- The whole Indian cricket team: they were flogged in every away series prior to the Australian tour...

Underrated - Darren Lehmann: he has a massive amount of 1st class runs and can bowl pretty well and would captain most international one day sides
- Heath Streak, Chaminda Vaas and Chanderpaul also deserve more respect because they too often have to carry their teams against the top sides in the world
If the Indian team is so overrated, how come Australia were not able to beat them in the test series playing at home ?

After all Australia are the world champions.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Over Rated

Ashish Nehra
Parthiv Patel
Tatenda Taibu
Nasser Hussain

I wouldn't say Taibu or Hussain are rated highly enough to be called over-rated. Anyway, IMO Taibu is a superb wicketkeeper at this stage and will get better very fast.

Hussain has always been a solid batsman and I don't see people calling him anymore. He certainly wasn't over-rated as a captain.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
If the Indian team is so overrated, how come Australia were not able to beat them in the test series playing at home ?
I believe he's more talking about the over-hyping of the Indian XI based on basically 1 series of good performances.

They need to follow it up with more good results to justify some of the comments surrounding them.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
I believe he's more talking about the over-hyping of the Indian XI based on basically 1 series of good performances.

They need to follow it up with more good results to justify some of the comments surrounding them.
Agreed, I also want to see them win in South Africa.. Then we will know who the number 2 side in the world is :D

Salamuddin

International Debutant
South Africa may be on a high at the moment but I fancy they will flop big time when they play Australia again -- paricularly their bowling.

Choora

State Regular
Overated -- Shane Bond. No doubt that the guy can bowl fast and is talented but comments like "when fit he's the best fast bowler" seems to be highly inappropriate.

hyounis786

Cricket Spectator
Don Ricardo said:
Overrated: P.Patel (sure he has potential, but recently he's missed so many simple stumpings)

A.Nehra (bowls pies, rivals tuffnel with batting and fielding ability-some much for a star paceman to propel india to future world domination)

T.Taibu (hes actually pretty good, just not as good as a lot of people make him out to be. in the thread on wicketkeeprs some considered him to be the best in the world- thats over the top. in the vb series he seems to fumble a lot keeping up to the spinners. his batting aint that great either)

Underrated: B. Williams (a lot of people on this forum seem to knock him- hes been close to the most effective aussie bowler all summer, and he always puts in in the outfield)
totally agree with u bud, taibu is definately underated, the first time i noticed him was when zimbabwe came to england last yr i think.from there onwards i knew he was going to emerge as a fine w/k although many commentators did not speak of his significance on the zimbabwe team.fairly short, but with a heart of gold this lad, quick in the air, gr8 reflexes and agility. he is the player who has not been recognised for his talent. is it just a few ppl who recognise his talent or issit just me overating him?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Under-rated = West Indian top 6.
Over-rated = Indian top 6, bar Sachin of course.
Why exactly are the Indian top 6 overrated ?

Because they had problems playing at the WACA....well every set of batsmen have their own weaknesses ...didn't Australia, "the world's best batting line-up" flop miserably on India's turning wickets ?

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
most overrated -

india - sachin tendulkar
vvs laxman
saurav ganguly
parthiv patel
pakistan - shoaib akhtar
mohammed sami
shahid afridi
sri lanka - sanath jayasuriya
australia - brett lee