• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's agree on a definition of "choke"

akilana

International 12th Man
No, I'm getting it perfectly fine.

A poor team losing and being knocked out is not choking.

A much over-hyped team getting spooked as soon as pressure comes upon them is choking.

I know that as a South African for you it is hard to swallow (pun not intended) but SA do choke much much more often than anyone else.
Well I am not SAfrican for a start.

The explanation you gave suits England pretty well. They were supposed to do better than get knocked out by Ireland and Bangaladsh. They also choked in champions trophy after getting closer to victory in 2004 against WI and a year before against India. As an English fan, you can deny all you want because it must be really hard for to accept but choke is a choke.

akilana

International 12th Man
And that explanation suits England's Ashes campaign last year. When the pressure was applied, the much hyped team fell apart and stopped competing.