• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The first ever Ashes and the hallowed sport of cricket!

Gareth Thomas

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Gareth and write about sport's history. I found this forum when researching a piece about cricket and thought i'd get involved!

I'm not advertising please don't think that but thought I would share what I had written because I'm sure it would be of interest to some of you who absolutely love cricket, particularly cricket history!

Anyway here it is: The Sporting History Boys: Cricket - The hallowed English sport & the first ever 'Ashes' - 1882. Featuring a bit of the initial growth of cricket from Britain, the first cricketing celebrity W.G. Grace and then that famous test match between England and Australia that led to the "Ashes" legend we have today!

Hope you enjoy and look forward to chatting cricket!

Gareth