• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection thread 2015/16

Niall

International Coach
The current Australian team would still beat everyone on their home soil and most teams overseas. For some reason they couldn't be bothered, or didn't see the need, to adapt to English conditions and paid the penalty.
You missed them getting whitewashed in the UAE and India I assume?

Flem274*

123/5
it's lillian thomson guys the bloke doesn't watch every series he comes here to revel in being a self aware **** and winding you all up with ease

SeamUp

International Coach
I flat-out do not rate Bancroft.
Got to ask the same question as Nufan ?

He shows the ability to play time and play each ball on its merits. Scores big hundreds and is the old fashioned opener. Could be a good foil for Warner. First tour to sub-continent I imagine & has shown his game has adaptability.

Between him , Burns and Khawaja for that spot.

M. Marsh, Handscomb, Ferguson, Head, Maddinson, Lynn the challengers for the 3 middle order sports still up for grabs potentially.

Don't think they will go back to the future with Cowan, Doolan, Quiney etc

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The selectors could easily, and wrongly, take the easy way out for the summer.

Warner
Darsh
Smith
Voges
Watson/Burns
MMarsh

Cowan should considered short term for the opener slot.I would consider Burns and Lynn for 4 and 5.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Love how 'adapting to English conditions' is apparently easy and just something they decided not to do :laugh:

Tangles

Not easy but they didn't seem to have a plan b when plan a (go hard, #intent) didn't work.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Love how 'adapting to English conditions' is apparently easy and just something they decided not to do :laugh:
It pretty well established that part of their downfall was trying to play the same game as they do on harder wickets with bat and ball. Nice of you to laugh at the only part of what I wrote that was actually true though.

Gob

International Coach
i rate Usman so he is in. Shaun Marsh is okay. I would also consider moving Smith to 4 to make it not so top heavy but it would be a backward step for him so dunno.

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Marsh
Nevill
Marsh

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
You really see them beating the SC sides except Bang in the SC? I do not think they can keep eking out wins in RSA either with this many players gone if blokes like Pattinson or Cummins do not realize the potential they showed when they first burst on to the scene. They have already shown they can't be even as competitive as India were last year in English conditions. Your definition of "most" is very interesting, to say the least.
I actually think the Bangladesh series is 50/50. Bangladesh has more patience, a better middle order and more spinning depth.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
i rate Usman so he is in. Shaun Marsh is okay. I would also consider moving Smith to 4 to make it not so top heavy but it would be a backward step for him so dunno.

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Marsh
Nevill
Marsh
My problem with Usman is that he hasn't made a score of 50+ for almost a year in First Class Cricket. it is a fairly small sample size but all his runs of late have been in List A matches. Also, there are question marks on his ability to handle spin, so Bangladesh could be a tricky test for him.

In saying that, I think there are negatives about every single candidate so maybe I just need to focus on the positives such as management naming him Captain for Australia A recently and he really is at a good age to get back into the team to have a long career, plus yeah his List A form has been great.

The Battlers Prince

The selectors have shown their cards by naming Ussy captain, his injury behind him, plus scoring runs even at a lower grade seems he's in.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
My problem with Usman is that he hasn't made a score of 50+ for almost a year in First Class Cricket. it is a fairly small sample size but all his runs of late have been in List A matches. Also, there are question marks on his ability to handle spin, so Bangladesh could be a tricky test for him.

In saying that, I think there are negatives about every single candidate so maybe I just need to focus on the positives such as management naming him Captain for Australia A recently and he really is at a good age to get back into the team to have a long career, plus yeah his List A form has been great.
Such an un-Australian problem to have, eh? Welcome to the club.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

His footwork is only second to Johnson in how robotic and plonky it is.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah true Gnske.

Hey Red Hill, I'm waiting for your new team with Mark Cosgrove in it. He did just make a century in County Cricket and as long as you don't confuse his red ball cricket form with his white ball, you could definitely argue that he has the runs on the board that most other candidates don't.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You know I ****ing love Cossie. And he should've been in the test team for the last 5 years. Far better than both Marshes and Watson and Voges. Still only 31. Still time. He's durable.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Imagine Warner and Cosgrave as an opening combo. ****!

But even better for this summer…

Rogers (stays on)
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Cosgrove
Burns or Lynn
Nevill

Won't see that bundled out for under 100

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it is safe to say there will be more attention on the Australian summer and selection from the rest of the world than normal. Clearly going to be 3 or 4 places up for grabs and maybe more.