• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection thread 2015/16

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Code:
Khawaja 1076 @ 41.38 2 100s 6 50s
This is discounting county matches right? Regardless i'm surprised he's managed to average over 40 in the last few years given how it's plummeted so far since his debut.

adub

International Captain
Laughed also to see that with all the tons Smarsh has scored lately the **** still couldn't crack a 40 ave for the period. Did not expect that, but probably 12/13 dragging it down?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is 2012/13 when they started cracking down on result pitches? Tas boys were still tearing it up in 11/12, but Copes had come back down to earth. Cricket Records | Sheffield Shield, 2011/12 | Records | Most wickets | ESPN Cricinfo

Such a shame that Lynn keeps getting injured.

Someone should precision crowbar Wade's knees so he gives up on this keeping nonsense. He would be a very useful middle order batsmen atm.
Result pitches became a thing of the past in 2013/14 IIRC.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Moz is unlucky that Watson was in his way and now he isn't a Marsh.

Love those Finch numbers btw.

cnerd123

likes this
Jesus, Finch scored more in that one warmup against NZ than he has in the last 3 years of Sheffield Shield cricket. Ridiculous.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Such a shame that Lynn keeps getting injured.

Someone should precision crowbar Wade's knees so he gives up on this keeping nonsense. He would be a very useful middle order batsmen atm.
Pick him and don't give him the gloves. He's a top bat the last few years. I'm sure when he's wearing the baggy green he'll get over that he's not a very good keeper

Finch is a FC hack no matter how much NZ try to get him in the team.
Can't blame them trying. If Finch walked out to play a test it would put a massive smile on the opposition's faces. I really think he's a top guy though, so if Finch could turn it around by some miracle I wouldn't mind having him in the group. He's got a long way to go though

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
Result pitches became a thing of the past in 2013/14 IIRC.
Seems they announced it and were dressing down states at the start of 12/13 and enforced it from midway. Pitches to improve for Shield games - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Pick him and don't give him the gloves. He's a top bat the last few years. I'm sure when he's wearing the baggy green he'll get over that he's not a very good keeper
Sure, I just think he's more likely to be selected if he's focused on batting and building long innings at 5. Squatting and diving all day on and off the field has got to be ******ing his numbers. And these selectors are very big on the numbers.

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
When Copes got called up for the crucial Zim-RSA-Aus A series in 2011, this was the only place I could find talking about it.

was pumped when he got Dilshan out at short cover for his first wicket in SL.

adub

International Captain
Copes is still gun. Will be an important cog in the bl00s Shield side.

not much chance of playing tests again though tbf.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Copes is still gun. Will be an important cog in the bl00s Shield side.

not much chance of playing tests again though tbf.
If we didn't have Lyon, I'd play Copes in the Ronnie Mac role that was so successful in the '09 South Africa series. Alas, we do have Lyon so don't have to get that funky.

McDonald @ 8 still the best piece of tactical selection I've ever come across, ftr.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If we didn't have Lyon, I'd play Copes in the Ronnie Mac role that was so successful in the '09 South Africa series. Alas, we do have Lyon so don't have to get that funky.
Who plays the North role though? Voges?

Ronnie Mac role is only possible if you have a North.

adub

International Captain
I thought TPC for the North role too, but then remembered Smitteh sometimes doesn't score a ton if he gets to double figures.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So thoughts on the West Indies side?

The two main queries are - with Starc out who will be the 4th pace bowler for the series? And will we see the back of the brother Marshes?

I'm hoping the second happens, but I doubt it will. Mitch at least is bowling well, and that still helps. And in his defence for a lot of the series the positions he's batted in haven't been great, and in the first two Tests he kinda was on a hiding to nothing. But still I think Henriques balances us better. Fortunately for Mitch Marsh though he's injured again so I presume he'll still make it.

As for Shaun though....he really shouldn't be playing for Australia any more. Especially if Khawaja is not 100% certain to be fit by Boxing Day. I mean there's plenty of other options...Klinger, Ferguson, Handscomb, etc. And Burns I don't trust as an opener either, so there's a gap for Cowan or Bancroft potentially, though it probably sends mixed messages if he does get moved down the order. But we all know that Darsh is very highly rated internally so he may still hold onto his spot, and it's not going to be a huge issue in my eyes as it's basically a stop-gap.

I'm presuming that Pattinson comes in for Starc, but both him and Hazlewood will probably need to be rotated once during the West Indian series. And the pitches likely won't favour a call-up for O'Keefe, so I suspect that there'll need to be another quick in the side. Trouble is, who?

There's no shortage of options, but all have question marks......

Bird - played 3 Tests a couple of years back and did pretty well. Unfortunately since then he's had injury issues and hasn't really been able to play FC cricket consistently and when he has he hasn't been amazing. I also wonder how much he's rated by CA.
Bollinger - probably the best option in my eyes. Was very good when he did play Tests and he's generally taken wickets at Shield level in recent years. But he's no longer guaranteed a spot in the NSW side and he's probably been put in the "too old" basket. Plus when I suggested him for an Australian call-up to the Ashes squad I was dismissed by some people as "Geoff Lawson". I don't expect a selection here.
Fekete - made the Bangladesh squad but just got dumped from his state team and still feels a 'one-season wonder' in my eyes. Would be disappointed if he was selected.
Hastings - injured recently and was exposed in his one Test. No thanks.
Sandhu - offers variety but he's not enough of a strike bowler for my liking in these conditions. Maybe in Asia you would but he needs to do more to get ahead of the queue.
Coulter-Nile - hasn't played Shield cricket yet this season due to injury. Might be selected otherwise but not right now.
Berendorff - again his recent injury hurts else I'd think he may well get the call-up and at the very least would deserve it. Oddly was picked in the squad twice for WA but missed the starting XI - what's the deal there? And he hasn't been in the mix for Australian places to the same extent the Sandhus and the Coulter-Niles of the world have....though that might be down to injuries and his relatively recent improvement.
Stanlake/Paris - have only played the one FC game each. It would be a massive reach to select them now.
Mennie - might be taking wickets but his two seasons before this one was poor, not making a fairly average SA side. Won't happen.
Abbott - just hasn't been consistently excellent to the extent that he should be selected.
Faulkner - the wildcard. I don't think he's a good enough bowler to hold down a 3rd seamer role, but against the West Indies we probably won't have too many problems taking wickets but they could roll us once or twice. Having the extra batting may help. Has he been 100% forgiven for that drink driving incident during his time at Lancashire though?

Probably others I'm forgetting too. I have NFI which way they go out of those.

Flem274*

123/5
If Ferguson is scoring big runs then I'd give him a look. His technique was always tidy so he's more likely to translate his FC form to tests than a Mitch Marsh or Joe Burns (though Burns has been very very good so far).

Midwinter

State Captain
Sketetee might be in the frame as an up and comer.

As they say now " bring him into the stetup give hima look at the top level"

Not a strike bowler but has potential.

The dark horse could be Hogan (if he is still eligible) as a back up for a one off test.

Why the need to rest Hazlewood or Patto ?

There is 13 days till next game then 12 day break till boxing day, assuming the first test goes 5 days.

Last edited: