• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Throwing the cricket ball

neville cardus

International Debutant
Old news now, but new to me, and apparently it hasn't yet been mentioned here: Roald Bradstock, the veteran Olympian, has broken Robert Percival's disputed century-old record:

On November 9, 2010 at the ripe old age of 48, I attempted to break the most unbreakable of records for a fifth and final time. On a fairly cool and windy day in Atlanta, Georgia I went to the track with some friends. I took just two throws with the cricket ball. The first throw was an unimpressive chuck of 119.46 metres but still better than anything I had done before on my previous four attempts. Then I took my second throw. I used a special "black" promotional cricket ball that Sky Sports had sent me, to try to beat the record. The measurement for this throw was 132.66m or 145 yards ½". So I had done it, but at the time I had mistakenly thought the record was 140.2 meters not 140 yards 2ft. It was nearly a year later before I realised my mistake and that my distance that day had actually surpassed Percy's record.​

I'd love to see a few of our big-name moderns have a go. As this is probably the only aspect of the game in which accurate inter-generational comparisons may be made, and as we cricket tragics are notorious for our delight in such comparisons, methinks it's high time an international ball-chucking event were thrown together. The present World Cup provides a near-perfect opportunity. So let's make this happen, as a matter of urgency, in the only way one makes anything happen nowadays: Let's start a social-media campaign.

Hashtag, anyone?

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
I'm going to be terribly imaginative and kick things off with #throwthatball. If you have as much time on your hands as most CricketWeb users appear to have, please go mad with it.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Surely if a 48-year old can break the record some of the younger guys in international cricket could do it. Dale Steyn or Corey Anderson could give it a decent hiff.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Bradstock, in fairness, isn't just any forty-eight-year-old. He has a plausible claim to a number of throwing records. But your point's taken. Now make it on Twitter.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I like the idea - we could have had a world throwing competition as the half time event throughout the world cup, or something like that. I am not on twitter however.

140m is an enormous throw - longer than a throw from one boundary to the opposite boundary on many grounds. I'd be amazed to see someone throw that far.