• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds or Glenn Maxwell?

Which one?

• Roy

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • The Big Show

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
M Waugh plays ahead of Watson no matter what. Superior batsman, very useful bowler and one of the greatest fielders in history. You don't leave someone like that out.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Watson can probably only make it in the role that he played at the 2007 WC, especially considering Mark Waugh's WC record.

Watson's fielding another thing to bring into account.

watson

Banned
Symonds over Maxwell as ATG ODI bowlers would probably out-think and out-smart Maxwell's unorthodox batting. That is, the likes of Wasim Akram or Joel Garner would merely turn Maxwell inside-out, back-the-front. Symonds for all his flamboyance was actually quite orthodox and kept a pretty straight bat.

01. Adam Gilchrist
02. Mark Waugh
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Michael Clarke
05. Steve Waugh
06. Michael Bevan
07. Andrew Symonds
08. Shane Warne
09. Brett Lee
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Glenn McGrath

Note: Symonds, M.Waugh, S.Waugh, and Clarke (? Bevan) should have no problems mopping up 10 overs.

Last edited:

morgieb

M Waugh plays ahead of Watson no matter what. Superior batsman, very useful bowler and one of the greatest fielders in history. You don't leave someone like that out.
The big difference between the two for mine is their bowling. Yes Waugh is a better ODI batsman than Watson.

As it stands Australia don't really hve a great 5th bowling option. Using Waugh/Symonds/Bevan for 10+ overs feels like a liability IMO. I think Watson can handle the 5th bowler duties better than the others can, and helps our balance out.

Fielding however is an important factor. Had kinda ignored it if I'm being honest.

Reality is though Australia have an embarrassment of riches in ATG XI's, and the gap is even more pronunced in a format that has largely coincided with Australia's dominant era.

Riggins

International Captain
Like seriously, I know Maxwell has a dick-load of raw talent but how the **** are people genuinely considering this!?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, agree that Junior Waugh needs to be picked ahead of Hayden if Symonds is the lone fifth bowling option otherwise.

Jr
Gilly
Punter
Deano
Bevan
Hussey
Symonds

Seems like a very good batting line up indeed. Gets10 decent overs between Symonds and Waugh (and even Bevan can pitch in, and if things get real bad, so can Ponting).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hayden's at best the 4th choice opener. Mark Waugh and Shane Watson both comfortably eclipse him as batsmen IMO before you start considering their bowling.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hayden's at best the 4th choice opener. Mark Waugh and Shane Watson both comfortably eclipse him as batsmen IMO before you start considering their bowling.
I can take people holding onto Hayden as a pure better opener than Watson, esp. on the back of his World Cup in 2007.

But before that renaissance, his record was pretty ordinary really. And when you think about how much Watson's been injured over the past ten years, he already has more ODIs than Hayden...

watson

Banned
I can take people holding onto Hayden as a pure better opener than Watson, esp. on the back of his World Cup in 2007.

But before that renaissance, his record was pretty ordinary really. And when you think about how much Watson's been injured over the past ten years, he already has more ODIs than Hayden...
New thread?

'Best Aussie ODI openers.'

Or

'Where does Shane Watson sit in the pantheon of Australian ODI greats?'

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Well, Symonds would have been even more effective with these rules. The last 20-25 overs are just too easy for the batsmen on most pitches.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Maxwell could genuinely end up averaging over 40 with a strike-rate of 150 plus and walk into any ATG side. I wouldn't bet against it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Maxwell's sixes tend to go into the crowd, dunno if boundary ropes make that much difference to him.