• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Viv voted the Greatest ODI Player

Eclipse

International Debutant
They do, but then I would make an argument for Aravinda in the top 5 then.. you can't just pick him for this list based on WC performances - it has to be overall.
No problems with that.. I too rate Aravinda much higher than stats alone would indicate.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yes, teams generally tend to play more at home than in any other country. Thank you for the excellent insight.
Drop the patronising tone mate. I've not said anything negative towards you.

What I meant was there are more ODI's played in India than any other country - and yes India do play in most of them and they also play the most ODI's overall hence why they where the best example.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Drop the patronising tone mate. I've not said anything negative towards you.

What I meant was there are more ODI's played in India than any other country - and yes India do play in most of them and they also play the most ODI's overall hence why they where the best example.
India - 302 home ODIs out of a total of 879.

Australia - 412 home ODIs out of a total of 853.

You were saying?

Eclipse

International Debutant
India - 302 home ODIs out of a total of 879.

Australia - 412 home ODIs out of a total of 853.

You were saying?
I'm talking about total ODI matches between all teams. Please read more carefully

I might be mistaken but I think the total number of ODI matches staged in India would be more than in Australia or any other country at least in the last 10 years.

I didn't come here for an argument mate so if that's what you're trying to start I'll just let you have this one.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm talking about total ODI matches between all teams. Please read more carefully

I might be mistaken but I think the total number of ODI matches staged in India would be more than in Australia or any other country at least in the last 10 years.

I didn't come here for an argument mate so if that's what you're trying to start I'll just let you have this one.
Total number of home games in the last decade - Ind 114, Aus 110.

If you're talking about ODI matches between all teams, consider not singling out a specific country; you will get called out for that sort of bs. Do not go around making misinformed claims if you truly do not seek an argument.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Uh.. no.. only irrelevant if you're trying to get the team out of a crisis.
No, if someone's playing the finisher role then the key stat is the number of not outs. How quickly the runs are scored do not matter as long as they're scored.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well that's horse****. Context matters. I'd say the key stat is almost number of wins - nobody is going to laud your 52*(80) if you lost by 30 runs.

I mean - the very nature of a finisher is that they're meant to be the person to get you over the line.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, if someone's playing the finisher role then the key stat is the number of not outs. How quickly the runs are scored do not matter as long as they're scored.
Well that's horse****. Context matters. I'd say the key stat is almost number of wins - nobody is going to laud your 52*(80) if you lost by 30 runs.

I mean - the very nature of a finisher is that they're meant to be the person to get you over the line.
Nah, you're talking about chasers here, not finishers in totality. SR in isolation tells us nothing about how good someone is at second innings chasing...however, high SR is undoubtedly a big factor in first innings finshing. The best ones at this role do have high SRs and typically aim to come in at over 35 and smash 60 (40).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I value clutch a ridiculous amount in ODIs and variance or not, Gilchrist has absurd clutch performances.

54 (36), 57 (48) and 149 (104) is just out of the world. Imagine if Sachin/Dhawan did 149 (104) in 2011/now in the WC final, we'd win the match in the first 20 overs.
I might be alone here but I think the whole big match thing is way overrated. I get the whole pressure and big game kinda emotional arguments, but beyond the fact that you play strongest opposition in these big finals, I can't objectively and logically see why these performances should have a (significantly) higher weight. At the end of the day, in big games everyone can't suck. There is pressure on you and on opponents; it must cancel out. You can't put a premium on all performances in big games. Just because there is pressure, it is not possible for batsmen to score slow and bolwers to go for many runs simultaneously. That's just not mathematically possible.

Or we must agree exactly what is harder in big games. If batting performances get a premium than bowling performances must get a discount. If chasing gets premium, batting first must get a discount. But because there is no agreement on which aspects are harder in big games (and as corollary which ones easier), I tend to not get too swayed by this argument.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Pressure doesn't necessarily cancel out. You might have the nerves and have to fight yourself and overcome it. It's like golf.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
In a team sport like Cricket I can't bring myself up to rate someone that much higher just because the player happened to be in a team which gave the most opportunity for its players to play in big games. Had Gilchrist played for any other team he wouldn't have gotten the chance to play 3 finals, but as it stands he played for Aus and its not his fault he ended up playing 3 WC finals and performing in them.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think there's a case for rating performances in KO games lower the more you play them. In today's match the pressure experienced by India and Bangladesh would not have been the same simply because it was uncharted waters for the kittens and the Indians had experienced it before.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In a team sport like Cricket I can't bring myself up to rate someone that much higher just because the player happened to be in a team which gave the most opportunity for its players to play in big games. Had Gilchrist played for any other team he wouldn't have gotten the chance to play 3 finals, but as it stands he played for Aus and its not his fault he ended up playing 3 WC finals and performing in them.
Yeah that too. And he opened each time. And never really put against a biggish total to chase.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that too. And he opened each time. And never really put against a biggish total to chase.
I wouldn't go that far, his 149 in 07 was absolute quality and he deserves every bit of credit for it. But the other two weren't out of the world performances, I'm not going to discredit Gilly for playing the innings he did but for me those two fifties are not what I would use to rate him higher than some other cricketers/batsmen if it came down to it.