• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Viv voted the Greatest ODI Player

smash84

The Tiger King
Tendulkar has an absolutely enormous margin over other openers as well, in terms of both average and strike rate, and that's before you factor in how long he sustained that type of performance.
Other than longevity I can't seem to think of Tendulkar as so far above the likes of Hayden, Anwar, M Waugh.

Viv has a better average and a better SR despite him retiring at the time when tendulkar just came in. Think about that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Other than longevity I can't seem to think of Tendulkar as so far above the likes of Hayden, Anwar, M Waugh.
You what?

Tendulkar averages 5 runs more than Anwar, and absolutely domatinates him in every facet of ODI batting. I'm sure he'd even bat left handed better if he really wanted to.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
44.8 vs. 39.2
oh, the difference is fairly big :p

Hayden was above 40 for sure and had a SR close to 80 for sure (if not greater than that).

But I wouldn't be surprised if the gap b/w Viv and his contemporaries is quite a bit greater.

Viv was striking faster than Dhoni at the time when Tendulkar was making his debut. And Dhoni can score quick. Beat that.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Viv was a guy who happened to be at the right place at the right time, ODI cricket was almost made for a player like him and ODI cricket since had only just started back when Viv was around. So while he was incredible as a player and had an incredible record, I can't help but think most other teams and players didn't really know how or what to do in ODI's whereas Viv kind of just played the format almost as same as in tests.

viriya

International Captain
I was surprised he wasn't in the top 5 too.
I think with time I would rate players like Bevan lower. When you get players like Dhoni, you realize Bevan's SR was not impressive even for his time. He just was a man for the crisis, but not necessarily the best finisher.

subshakerz

International Coach
Not usually a fan of Dhoni but I can see a strong case for him in the top five. One of the best finishers and one of the best ODI captains, along with being a pretty effective keeper.

Gilchrist I feel is a bit too highly rated.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think with time I would rate players like Bevan lower. When you get players like Dhoni, you realize Bevan's SR was not impressive even for his time. He just was a man for the crisis, but not necessarily the best finisher.
Fair enough I guess. He did average 50+ though.

There's no doubt that, rightly or wrongly, Tendulkar and Viv's legacy in ODI cricket has stayed strong over the years whereas the emergency of players like Dhoni and AB have taken Bevan down a peg in some people's minds.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think Viv was a guy who happened to be at the right place at the right time, ODI cricket was almost made for a player like him and ODI cricket since had only just started back when Viv was around. So while he was incredible as a player and had an incredible record, I can't help but think most other teams and players didn't really know how or what to do in ODI's whereas Viv kind of just played the format almost as same as in tests.
well, that can be said for many players tbh.

Anyhow, Viv was just a special cricketer though. Incredible batsman. You had to watch him bat to realize just how special he was. I guess he also had an aura and charisma that others didn't have that also helped to make him look special. But I guess I am just going at a tangent now :p

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I think people are forgetting that this exercise is for the greatest cricket and not greatest batsmen. Dhoni and Gilcrhist have things other than simply batting going for them and that's part of why they are on the list. Not saying I necessarily agree with the list but its picked based on how you've contributed as a player overall. Tendulkar's bowling and Akram's batting would have been a factor as well.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think people are forgetting that this exercise is for the greatest cricket and not greatest batsmen. Dhoni and Gilcrhist have things other than simply batting going for them and that's part of why they are on the list. Not saying I necessarily agree with the list but its picked based on how you've contributed as a player overall. Tendulkar's bowling and Akram's batting would have been a factor as well.
well, you could put Viv's bowling there too if you are putting Akram's batting and Tendulkar's bowling

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep good point re Dhoni and Gilly

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
44.8 vs. 39.2
That before limiting to only matches played as opener where Tendulkar averages 48+, which is monstrous. Has a case to be considered better than Viv if you only consider his record starting from the game against NZ when he first opened.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I have a feeling Bevan's stock will fall over time. CW doesn't seem to rate him the same as it did few years back.
That's probably a byproduct of Dhoni/AB/Kohli and co continuing to do well rather than finding out what Bevan lacked.

Teja.

Global Moderator

Viv has a better average and a better SR despite him retiring at the time when tendulkar just came in. Think about that.
Tendulkar has 15,000 runs @ 48.29 as an opener at a SR of 88.29, Anwar has 8000 @ 39.98 and a SR of 79.93, Waugh has 5700 @ 44.06 and a SR of 76.7, Hayden has 5800 @ 44.35 and a SR of 78.7.

Even ignoring longevity, that SR especially for the 90s era is mindboggling and he still managed to average over 48. Ignoring longevity, he's a few leagues ahead. Accounting for longevity, he's a galaxy ahead.

He averaged 48 with a SR of 91 in the 90s as an opener. A 90 SR opener who's also the most reliable batsman in the world at setting up the game was a complete game breaker in the era Tendulkar played most of his best cricket in.

and then you have things like Tendulkar scoring 9 ODI hundreds in 1998.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Viv, Tendulkar, Wasim, McGrath, Gilchrist.

Dhoni extremely close to Gilchrist with captaincy taken into account and will jump to 4 if he wins this WC for India - will be something crazy with how low pre-WC expectations were among the cricket tragics.

Bevan, Murali, Ponting and Pollock the others in the top 10 for me.

Last edited: