• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Viv voted the Greatest ODI Player

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
They both shouldn't be in the top 5, but Gilchrist especially. Murali and one of McGrath or AB should be in the top 5.
Gilchrist is by no means out of place in the top 5, and neither is Dhoni. Gilchrist was a completely devastating opener as well as a very good keeper. Gilchrist's strike rate at the top of the order was incredible, and he was completely unselfish in regards to playing for red ink. As keepers who can bat top six they make an ODI team very formidable.

viriya

International Captain
Gilchrist is by no means out of place in the top 5, and neither is Dhoni. Gilchrist was a completely devastating opener as well as a very good keeper. Gilchrist's strike rate at the top of the order was incredible, and he was completely unselfish in regards to playing for red ink. As keepers who can bat top six they make an ODI team very formidable.
He wasn't that groundbreaking though. He basically was Jayasuriya with gloves (with a lower chance of tonning up than Jayasuriya even though he averaged a bit higher). Dhoni you could say redefined finishing.

Murali was undoubtedly the best ever bowler in the middle overs, McGrath was probably the best ever new ball bowler. And AB is.. well he's AB.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He wasn't that groundbreaking though. He basically was Jayasuriya with gloves (with a lower chance of tonning up than Jayasuriya even though he averaged a bit higher). Dhoni you could say redefined finishing.

Murali was undoubtedly the best ever bowler in the middle overs, McGrath was probably the best ever new ball bowler. And AB is.. well he's AB.
I didn't say he was groundbreaking.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah Dhoni gets in because of his limited overs captaincy along with being keeper/ATG bat.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Remember when Wisden put out a list on the greatest ODI bowlers in 2002. It was Wasim, Donald, Waqar, McGrath, and Garner as the top 5.

viriya

International Captain
Remember when Wisden put out a list on the greatest ODI bowlers in 2002. It was Wasim, Donald, Waqar, McGrath, and Garner as the top 5.
That was 2002 though.. I think Murali and Pollock would feature if it was done now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What was the methodology behind the points? Because while I accept the case for Viv, I'm surprised there's such a massive margin over Tendulkar.

smash84

The Tiger King
I guess margin over peers would be a big factor. Average over 47 and SR of 90 in 70s and 80s is ridiculous. Its excellent even by today's standards

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Just out of curiosity for long was ODI cricket 60 overs before they changed it to 50?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I guess margin over peers would be a big factor. Average over 47 and SR of 90 in 70s and 80s is ridiculous. Its excellent even by today's standards
Tendulkar has an absolutely enormous margin over other openers as well, in terms of both average and strike rate, and that's before you factor in how long he sustained that type of performance.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just out of curiosity for long was ODI cricket 60 overs before they changed it to 50?
Difficult question to answer because it was kind of mixed up & all over the shop. They played 60 over cricket in England well into the 80s, so the first 3 world cups there were all 60 overs, even 1983 in spite of the fact NZ, Australia & the rest of the world were playing 50 over cricket from the early 80s.

After that and although 50 overs became universal for world cups... England instead reduced it's home ODI games from 60 to 55 overs and continued playing 55 overs home ODIs right up until 1995.