• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which young players will shine in comming Indo-Pak series?

Which young players will shine in comming Indo-Pak series?

• I Pathan

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Y Hameed

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • I Farhat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Danish Kaneria

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Kaif

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Karthik

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patel

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Any other

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Richard said:
Check out his series-by-series record.
Then reconsider.
He has been performing very well in ODIs. getting 17 wickets in the last 8 macthes (excluding NZ tour) And it was in these matches when he got his best figures 5/10. He has been performing well before these 8 matches aswell getting wickets consistently. So i wouldn't change my opinion on what i said.

I do agree he still needs quite alot of experince and it will hopefully come by playing more cricket and getting some help from good fast bowlers.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Richard said:
Did I ever mention ODIs?
So now ur telling me you were only talking about tests???
The reply you posted from the quote of IMRANRAB was supposed to be in general. So you could have mentioned tests in your reply.
Either way to say he has been consistently poor is wrong because recently if you look at the series by series record he has improved his bowling average and his strike rate in both tests and ODIs. So the comment you made about him is wrong in my opinion other than this i dont know the way you look at a bowlers performance.

FRAZ

International Captain
Choora said:
Initially Waqar wasn't good, unlike Akram waqar did took time to settle down in the initiall part of his career
Absolutely wrong .Actually In case of any Pakistani youngster this statement is wrong .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most Pakistani youngsters (ie 17-20-year-olds) who come in don't make an impression.
Because, quite simply, that age is too young to be playing international cricket for all but the very, very best (eg Imran, Wasim, Waqar).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
godofcricket said:
So now ur telling me you were only talking about tests???
The reply you posted from the quote of IMRANRAB was supposed to be in general. So you could have mentioned tests in your reply.
Either way to say he has been consistently poor is wrong because recently if you look at the series by series record he has improved his bowling average and his strike rate in both tests and ODIs. So the comment you made about him is wrong in my opinion other than this i dont know the way you look at a bowlers performance.
In ODIs Sami's average is very good.
In Tests his bowling record is poor, full-stop.
Oh, and in a bowler I look for the ability to swing, seam, cut and reverse-swing the ball, plus the ability to bowl as accurately as possible. Plus some emphasis on pace and height, but this is the least important.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Richard said:
In ODIs Sami's average is very good.
In Tests his bowling record is poor, full-stop.
Yes i agree that hes gotta a good bowling average in ODIs and very poor in tests. But when we look at the matches he has played in tests which is only 12 then its no surprise to see his average around the 40 mark. But his recent performance against NZ in the first test in which he destroyed the batting line-up of NZ does show he can perform. Getting 5 wickets is by no means a poor performance. So he needs a bit more time to settle in and hopefully he will get most of his basics right.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm...
12 Tests, while not by any means a guanteed accurate measure of a player's ability, is not quite the raw deal that some players get. An average of 40 after 12 Tests is something that suggests an improvement is needed very soon indeed in order to maintain a place.
ODI form should never influence Test selection.