• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are good bowlers better rewarded in modern day cricket?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Over the last decade we have gradually seen batsmen attacking game reaching heights never seen before however in the same time period what i have noticed is the gradual decline in the defensive game of modern day batsman. More gap between bat and pad, following the swing and nicking it to keeper these are pretty common sights these days on pitches that offer little bit of something and even the best of today batsmen are guilty of showing such loose technique.

Aus-NZ game at Eden park is a perfect template of what I am saying sure there was something in it for bowlers and Starc, Boult are both quality bowlers but they were aided by some bad batting and it was not a 150 plays 150 track. I believe on a batting wicket batsman are more unforgivin these days but as soon as there is something in to support the bowler a good bowler is more likely to pick 6-31 in 11 overs then a 3-73 he would get in 28 overs 20 years back.

Thoughts?

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's an interesting question, but I think some pitches negate even good bowlers these days. On anything resembling a sporting pitch I think you're totally right.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Sometimes I think the death just comes down to how good a hitter a batsman is and his form and the bowler is kind of irrelevant.

Xuhaib

International Coach
It's an interesting question, but I think some pitches negate even good bowlers these days. On anything resembling a sporting pitch I think you're totally right.
yeah as I said if its a road batsman are much more unforgiving these days but we are more likely to see 150 all out on pitches these days where a par score would be 275.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Batsmen have less technique to cope if the ball does move around these days, the T20/ODI way of smashing through the line on roads means they don't need to work on it. Look at how Australia batted on the last few ashes tours when there was cloud cover as opposed to a sunny day. Or take Kohli last summer when there was a touch of movement he was stuffed.

Last edited: