• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Is Holder good enough for test cricket as a front line bowler? He is in great from with the bat, maybe he can bat in top 7 and play as a 5th bowler, but I don't see him as such a good frontline option atm. If Holder can't bat in the top 7, he should be out of the team.

With Roach looking slightly off, Holder is just making the bowling line-up weak.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can't find it now (it was also posted in cw years back)

It was essentially what I've said...something along these lines - I don't see what was so great about those West Indian bowlers. I think a good batsman from today could easily make runs against them. What was so great about them? Some people say that they were very fast. But you see Fidel Edwards and you can't help thinking he's just as fast. Probably those bowlers were like him.
So basically something you've made up and decided to straw man against. Cool.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Samuels is so much like Hooper, not just as a batsman. Even as a bowler, he bowls 'em, lollipops and pops one here and there.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can't find it now (it was also posted in cw years back)

It was essentially what I've said...something along these lines - I don't see what was so great about those West Indian bowlers. I think a good batsman from today could easily make runs against them. What was so great about them? Some people say that they were very fast. But you see Fidel Edwards and you can't help thinking he's just as fast. Probably those bowlers were like him.
And Fidel Edwards was also one of the better bowlers in the world for a few years. His erratic early years and his dip in fitness at the end may give him a poor average, but if you watched him in the early 2010s he was almost certainly in the top 10 quicks going around.

West Indies problem isn't talent. It's managing it.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Is Holder good enough for test cricket as a front line bowler? He is in great from with the bat, maybe he can bat in top 7 and play as a 5th bowler, but I don't see him as such a good frontline option atm.
At the moment he's a 4th seamer on flat pitches and very good when it swings and seams. I think/hope he'll develop given a run of matches. I actually rate Carlos Braithwaite more highly as a seamer as he has just a bit more pace.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
And Fidel Edwards was also one of the better bowlers in the world for a few years. His erratic early years and his dip in fitness at the end may give him a poor average, but if you watched him in the early 2010s he was almost certainly in the top 10 quicks going around.

West Indies problem isn't talent. It's managing it.
He was not making that comment to praise Edwards, but to belittle the West Indies golden era bowlers.