• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

Burner

International Regular
Just found out that after the end of the over, the batsmen don't change ends and that the coming over is bowled from the other end and that it's the fielders and keeper that actually change positions. All my life I've watched cricket and I find some serious intel like this NOW. Yesterday, when my brother tried to debunk this childhood lie of ours, I was ready to go barbaric on his ass. Now I am glad I didn't.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bishoo is an attacking leg spinner bowling against the top and middle order when the conditions are heavily loaded in the batsmans favour. You'd expect him to drag some down.

Moeen is a finger spinner bowling against the middle/lower order with the ball swinging, seaming and spinning. I think he bowled dreadfully whereas Bishoo has been ok.
I agree, I was talking yesterday of the release of the pressure but Cook and Trott let him just bowl and get away with it. Root has shown how to do it.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
This kind of listless bowling/fielding effort is reminiscent of England during the Ashes Whitewash in 2013/14. No Direction, just waiting for someone to get themselves out.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, it's pretty hard to comprehend why the current England captain would say his best friend and current best bowler, who also has more wickets than anyone else from England, is one of the country's best players ever.
Calling Anderson a better bowler than Trueman, Barnes, Larwood and Laker can only mean one thing (Notice that he is calling him the best-ever bowler from England, not a country with limited history of great bowlers like India - where you could vaguely understand such a statement). The belief gets strengthened when you hear him say that the great West Indian pace bowlers were overrated and they were no better than Fidel Edwards. He doesn't rate yesteryear cricketers at all - they were all amateur muppets in an age when cricket was too easy. This is a very very extreme case of 'cricket is best in my era' line of thought.

Maybe it is just my Indian mentality - but I believe that one can never reach zenith of success if one doesn't respect the greats in that field (because he will never even begin to try to understand what makes them so great).

Anyways, I won't want to derail this thread any more.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Shannon Gabriel looks like a bloke who'll be beastly first up but who'll really struggle come his 3rd or 4th spell of the day.

Kinda kicking myself I didn't post this yesterday.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
This kind of listless bowling/fielding effort is reminiscent of England during the Ashes Whitewash in 2013/14. No Direction, just waiting for someone to get themselves out.
It's the kind of thing we do too often as well. It's alarming how quickly their heads go down when things go against them. They've been ok in that regard so far in this series but this is too easy now. I'm a bit worried about Ramdin's captaincy, he goes quiet during these periods and isn't proactive enough. I hate the fact that Samuels gets to bowl so many overs, he's such an ugly bowler.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just found out that after the end of the over, the batsmen don't change ends and that the coming over is bowled from the other end and that it's the fielders and keeper that actually change positions. All my life I've watched cricket and I find some serious intel like this NOW. Yesterday, when my brother tried to debunk this childhood lie of ours, I was ready to go barbaric on his ass. Now I am glad I didn't.
Good for you :thumbsup:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
It's the kind of thing we do too often as well. It's alarming how quickly their heads go down when things go against them. They've been ok in that regard so far in this series but this is too easy now. I'm a bit worried about Ramdin's captaincy, he goes quiet during these periods and isn't proactive enough. I hate the fact that Samuels gets to bowl so many overs, he's such an ugly bowler.
would you trust ramdin and holder at 6 and 7 in order to facilitate another quick bowler?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
DSA on cricinfo seems a card, you know what would be even better than reading his witterings in the commentary section, not reading them. At least here I could put him on ignore.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What was this Fidel Edwards comment anyway?
Can't find it now (it was also posted in cw years back)

It was essentially what I've said...something along these lines - I don't see what was so great about those West Indian bowlers. I think a good batsman from today could easily make runs against them. What was so great about them? Some people say that they were very fast. But you see Fidel Edwards and you can't help thinking he's just as fast. Probably those bowlers were like him.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Root is playing a very important inning in the context of this match (considering the forecast of rain for tomorrow)

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
would you trust ramdin and holder at 6 and 7 in order to facilitate another quick bowler?
In the Caribbean 100% yes. I'd bring in Carlos Braithwaite to bowl seamers and bat at 8 and swap Gabriel with a second spinner. Allow Bishoo to attack and Permaul to hold up an end. We're not going to beat any top teams with 4 bowlers.