• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
nah but root will
I don't dislike Root, and I'll be happy if he scores more runs than Cook.

Bell, Pietersen and Strauss have been better batsmen from England than Cook in the last 15 years. I always said so even when Cook was having his purple patch.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular

Bell and Pietersen have been better batsmen from England than Cook in the last 15 years. I always said so even when Cook was having his purple patch.

m8, 7,500 runs at 49 with 25 centuries in 92 games ain't a purple patch.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Drinking red wine, watching England ease to wiping out a deficit and being glad I'm not weldone. What an evening.
Drinking Darjeeling tea, wanting England to win this and being glad I'm not GIMH. What an evening.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Bell, Pietersen and Strauss have been better batsmen from England than Cook in the last 15 years. I always said so even when Cook was having his purple patch.
They may have been but Cook WILL get about 14000+ runs and score well over 30 centuries. That is a fact, Can see him having a great spell once he loses the captaincy and it may take him losing it to regain his form but he will.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
m8, 7,500 runs at 49 with 25 centuries in 92 games ain't a purple patch.
It is perhaps a discussion for another thread how many of those runs came against very good bowling and in really difficult conditions...

Mohammad Yousuf and Mahela Jayawardene scored far more runs with far better averages...surely you don't think they're ATGs?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Finally, we're punishing Bishoo's poor balls. I'm not one to rag on cook and trott for slow scoring, but as scaly said earlier (before the thread turned to an utter ****-fest) we were just doing nothing against his poor balls, he really isn't bowling any better than Moeen, just the Windies bats put away his bad balls.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
They may have been but Cook WILL get about 14000+ runs and score well over 30 centuries. That is a fact, Can see him having a great spell once he loses the captaincy and it may take him losing it to regain his form but he will.
As I said, I'll be surprised if Cook ends up with 12000+ runs OR 45+ average.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
This is really useful when you have Stokes, Buttler & Ali to come next. Players who can strike the ball hard and shouldn't let the scoring rate slip.

flibbertyjibber

It is perhaps a discussion for another thread how many of those runs came against very good bowling and in really difficult conditions...

Mohammad Yousuf and Mahela Jayawardene scored far more runs with far better averages...surely you don't think they're ATGs?
Nobody has said Cook is an ATG, we just know that with the amount of games England play and with the runs he has already before his 30th birthday IF he carries on as a test player until his late 30's he will end up with a runs and centuries total close to SRT. Not saying he is in the same class as he isn't but weight of games means he will get closer than most to him.

If Cook plays all the games in our ridiculous schedule in the next 12 months he will be on 126 tests before the English summer of 2016 starts. At the age of 31 and a half he could play another 100 after that if he remains a decent proposition.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
O
Finally, we're punishing Bishoo's poor balls. I'm not one to rag on cook and trott for slow scoring, but as scaly said earlier (before the thread turned to an utter ****-fest) we were just doing nothing against his poor balls, he really isn't bowling any better than Moeen, just the Windies bats put away his bad balls.
I really don't see how anyone could say he's not bowling better than moeen? Yes he's dragging it down a bit now but he beat the bat plenty of times and was unlucky not to have 2/3 wickets.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Nobody has said Cook is an ATG, we just know that with the amount of games England play and with the runs he has already before his 30th birthday IF he carries on as a test player until his late 30's he will end up with a runs and centuries total close to SRT. Not saying he is in the same class as he isn't but weight of games means he will get closer than most to him.

If Cook plays all the games in our ridiculous schedule in the next 12 months he will be on 126 tests before the English summer of 2016 starts. At the age of 31 and a half he could play another 100 after that if he remains a decent proposition.
Not every player plays well till late 30s - Cook certainly won't.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep it was irritating to see Cook and Trott so tentative to what were boundary balls. Not only not scoring but almost getting out to them, Cook had a bump ball past the inside of first slip. Trott was getting in a tangle to leg-side half volleys.

flibbertyjibber

O

I really don't see how anyone could say he's not bowling better than moeen? Yes he's dragging it down a bit now but he beat the bat plenty of times and was unlucky not to have 2/3 wickets.
He has bowled more good balls but bowled just as many bad ones but they went unpunished.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tbf, it's pretty hard to comprehend why the current England captain would say his best friend and current best bowler, who also has more wickets than anyone else from England, is one of the country's best players ever.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
He has bowled more good balls but bowled just as many bad ones but they went unpunished.
Bishoo is an attacking leg spinner bowling against the top and middle order when the conditions are heavily loaded in the batsmans favour. You'd expect him to drag some down.

Moeen is a finger spinner bowling against the middle/lower order with the ball swinging, seaming and spinning. I think he bowled dreadfully whereas Bishoo has been ok.