• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They guy that Kent pick ahead of him you would have thought....

I remember Danny Briggs taking loads of wickets on a Lions tour of the West Indies a few years ago, career has not really gone anywhere since then. I partly blame Hampshire for this, he had a decent season last year and they still went and brought Tahir in for the last couple of games.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
God, if we're having problems selecting spinners for the WI tour, what the hell are we going to cope in the UAE later on, when we (have to) select two spinners. Panesar? Kerrigan? Rashid? Crumbs.

grecian

God, if we're having problems selecting spinners for the WI tour, what the hell are we going to cope in the UAE later on, when we (have to) select two spinners. Panesar? Kerrigan? Rashid? Crumbs.
A season to come, we'll hope someone comes through. It's all very well talking about Riley, but what's the point of picking him and probably not playing him, if he could be playing in County Cricket, same with Borthwick.

Anyway, am I just being more miserable than normal, or is this article/blog really hideous?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
A season to come, we'll hope someone comes through. It's all very well talking about Riley, but what's the point of picking him and probably not playing him, if he could be playing in County Cricket, same with Borthwick.

Anyway, am I just being more miserable than normal, or is this article/blog really hideous?
No you're not. I read that piece about 10 mins ago before opening this thread............it's right up there with the worst thing ever published on cricinfo (and that is saying something)

Still got nfi what the author is trying to convey (is he bigging up or knocking Root??). The headline grabbed my attention and I really wished I hadn't bothered.........10 mins of my life I'll never get back.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah, it's not you.

Wrong-headed, lazy, format-conflating, baby-with-the-bathwater bollocks.

Batsman does worse against primo quick bowling? Well stripe me. Who'da thunk it?

Pothas

Well I think they should pick him and play him. He would be much better served bowling in the Caribbean in May than in England. Moeen obviously comes back as soon as he is fit and Riley plays for Kent until the end of the season and if all goes well then plays in the UAE.

Pothas

And yes the article is awful. I hate how the always pretend for these things that players like Jos Buttler don't exist.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think its fine to go with one spinner, 3 quicks plus Moeen and Root in the UAE.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At least there's an extra season (so the Riley types may improve) and Moeen should be fit.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
My current pet theory is that on suitable wickets, Moeen + Rashid present our least worst chance of taking a test or two off the Australians this summer.
Obviously we aren't going to compete with them them on wickets that suit the quicks.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
My current pet theory is that on suitable wickets, Moeen + Rashid present our least worst chance of taking a test or two off the Australians this summer.
Obviously we aren't going to compete with them them on wickets that suit the quicks.
Not sure I necessarily agree.

The wickets that suit quicks aren't going to be really quick or anything. That kind of discounts the threat of Johnson to a degree who is already showing signs of being a lesser threat than he was. Sure Harris is still a massive threat but Anderson and Broad in home conditions are also very decent. And whilst Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc, whoever are very talented they haven't show any real consistency in test cricket and have limited experience in test cricket in England.

With regards to the spinners I don't think Moeen or Rashid are good enough to really bank on them winning tests regularly. Lyon is the mystery in the equation because he would be the best spin bowler in either team but he seems to need the bounce that he only really gets from australian wickets and struggles on the slow low turners that you get in England- but you'd imagine that he will get it right at some point.

Best wickets for English will be the slowish slightly green wickets that aren't easy to play shots on (to counter the likes of Warner) and offer a bit in them for the swing bowlers. Broad and Anderson are still the best bet we have imo in English conditions.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
My main concern over Broad and Anderson is that they weren't even a consistent threat 2 years ago. Both had one outstanding test, but didn't threaten the rest of the time. Harris, otoh, was outstanding throughout. Starc has played county cricket, and there have been plenty of Aus quicks over the years who have done a more than handy job in their first series over here. I agree that Rashid and Moeen won't regularly win us test matches, and I chose my 'least worst chance' wording deliberately.

Not that I'm looking to mount a seriously conclusive argument here. Just pondering really.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
The WICB have spent a lot if time on the pitches for this series so hopefully we'll see some good cricket in the tests, less of the turgid stuff apparently. I'll guess we'll see though!