• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Cook
Trott
Ballance
Bell
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Broad
Tredwell
Anderson
Plunkett

I guess. Rashid isn't really a good enough bowler is he?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
When Stokes fails they're so gonna SOS Ravi just to make scaly explode, aren't they?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'd have gone with Batty over Tredwell as I already stated. Plus a 16 man squad with Moeen potentially to come back to make it 17 is too many imo when the players could be playing county cricket.

Can't wait for the Boycott rant when Lyth, Bairstow, Rashid and Plunkett are all left out of the team.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'd have gone with Batty over Tredwell as I already stated. Plus a 16 man squad with Moeen potentially to come back to make it 17 is too many imo when the players could be playing county cricket.

Can't wait for the Boycott rant when Lyth, Bairstow, Rashid and Plunkett are all left out of the team.
Hopefully they're just in the squad to carry the drinks and disadvantage Yorkshire in the Championship. :ph34r:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hopefully they're just in the squad to carry the drinks and disadvantage Yorkshire in the Championship. :ph34r:
I think this is a good move, Somerset's year this year, clearly.

Well good to see Wood and Lyth in. Disappointed for Taylor. The spin department looks rank, but time for Adil to prove me wrong.

theegyptian

tredwell averaged 41 in the cc last season.

absolutely dire pick.
There was no good pick to be made. That's where England are at with regards to spin options.

Glad there is no Finn or Taylor.

Finn still not offering much value on that central contract he is on.

Taylor might have been useful on the slow turners but I can't see him succeeding at test cricket long term and England's batting is already back foot, leg side, grinder dominant with the likes of Cook, Ballance, Root without adding Taylor to the mix who is more limited than any of them.

On the opening spot. They've gotta find someone. They can't keep playing Compton, Carberry, Robson, Lyth? for 6 or 7 tests then dropping them. They've gotta stick with someone. Robson I like and think might come again but had that big technical issue so I can see why they dropped him. Lyth I feel may well go the same way as the others. Not sure he is quite good enough to do anything but average 30 or so like the rest. Hopefully proved wrong though and it's not just another punt in the dark doomed to failure by the selectors.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was no good pick to be made. That's where England are at with regards to spin options.

Glad there is no Finn or Taylor.

Finn still not offering much value on that central contract he is on.

Taylor might have been useful on the slow turners but I can't see him succeeding at test cricket long term and England's batting is already back foot, leg side, grinder dominant with the likes of Cook, Ballance, Root without adding Taylor to the mix who is more limited than any of them.

On the opening spot. They've gotta find someone. They can't keep playing Compton, Carberry, Robson, Lyth? for 6 or 7 tests then dropping them. They've gotta stick with someone. Robson I like and think might come again but had that big technical issue so I can see why they dropped him. Lyth I feel may well go the same way as the others. Not sure he is quite good enough to do anything but average 30 or so like the rest. Hopefully proved wrong though and it's not just another punt in the dark doomed to failure by the selectors.
You get the feeling they'll just play it safe with Trott though, depending on how the two warm-up games are for him and Lyth.

theegyptian

You get the feeling they'll just play it safe with Trott though, depending on how the two warm-up games are for him and Lyth.
Yes I completely overlooked Trott at the time I was writing it. Likeliest scenario is Trott opening but they might also play both of them (with Lyth opening, Trott at 3 or 4 and everyone else drop a place) as Ali won't be around to bat in the top 6, and then play the 4 straight bowlers.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
As much as I like Trott, and admire his resolve for coming back, I just can't understand why he'd be selected for this tour (and open, should that be the case). Selecting him for this one says 'we're planning on selecting him in the summer', and forgive me, but he'll get taken to pieces by the Kiwis and especially the Australians. Johnson and co., MJ with the new ball, even on the slower tracks in the UK, will love nothing more than to get stuck into a guy they've scared before, and if he starts to falter, then he'll be in for some pretty nasty barracking out in the middle.

andmark

International Captain
As much as I like Trott, and admire his resolve for coming back, I just can't understand why he'd be selected for this tour (and open, should that be the case). Selecting him for this one says 'we're planning on selecting him in the summer', and forgive me, but he'll get taken to pieces by the Kiwis and especially the Australians. Johnson and co., MJ with the new ball, even on the slower tracks in the UK, will love nothing more than to get stuck into a guy they've scared before, and if he starts to falter, then he'll be in for some pretty nasty barracking out in the middle.
You'd have to be a classless **** to sledge him over his mental health. Hopefully the umpire and/or the ICC would get involved if it happened.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Happy enough with the squad though needs more Yorkshire in it.

I would imagine they will go with this as the side.

Cook
Lyth/Trott
Ballance
Bell
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Rashid
Plunkett
Broad
Anderson

ImpatientLime

International Regular
mj will need to get the duke on the bowling strip first.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Trott does have three test centuries in the six tests he's played against Johnson tbf. I'd actually be interested to see how they fare when they're not at opposite extremes of their careers.