• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Cook
2. Robson
3. Ballance
4. Bell
5. Root
6. Moeen
7. Buttler
8. Woakes
9. Broad
10. Anderson
11. Kerrigan

12. Lyth
13. Taylor
14. Stokes
15. Plunkett
16. Wood

IMO.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Don't get why Trott should be in the reckoning tbh. He'll be 34 in April and at his best was a solid rather than outstanding batsman.
Would actually make more sense to pick some younger guys and blood them ahead of the series against the Kiwis and the Aussies.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Don't get why Trott should be in the reckoning tbh. He'll be 34 in April and at his best was a solid rather than outstanding batsman.
Would actually make more sense to pick some younger guys and blood them ahead of the series against the Kiwis and the Aussies.
Well If they select Trott for this tour it would be with the intention of playing him against NZ and Australia. I probably wouldn't select him but it sounds fairly likely that he's getting the callup and he's probably still better than current Lyth/Robson or Taylor.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be licking my lips in glee if Trott played against Australia. Then again, the same would apply for anyone who's opening with Cook.

theegyptian

England may gamble on Moeen Ali?s fitness for West Indies tour | Sport | The Guardian

If moeen is out injured that's gonna really screw the team over.

No way Rashid could play the role as the sole spinner. Maybe second spinner but I'd be more in favour of giving him a go in ODI cricket.

No mention of Monty so he's probably still a persona non grata after all the problems with him in the last couple of years. There's really been no mention of Monty the whole winter and I don't think he's been playing cricket anywhere so it would seem unlikely he is getting selected.

Doesn't leave much though. Riley is less than a year out of university. Tredwell is behind Riley in terms of 4 day selection at Kent. Kerrigan had a moderate season last year and a battering when he last played for England.

It's pretty out of the blue but I'd be strongly thinking about the possibility of bring along Gareth Batty at 37 with the intention of playing him as the frontline spinner in the first test if Moeen is unfit.

They'll probably go with Tredwell but Batty was very decent last year in the championship div 2(39 wickets @ 23) and could add a more combative edge to the dressing room. It's only a stopgap but I'd be more inclined to go with Batty for the ashes than Tredwell so he may as well go on this tour. If they want that reliable frontline spinner if Ali isn't there it needs to be Batty or Tredwell and Tredwell doesn't have a great track record in first class cricket recently.

So I'd probably go Batty (frontline) + Kerrigan/Riley (for experience) + Ali (injury + allrounder)

theegyptian

Moeen out would mean Woakes and Stokes play with one spinner right?
Maybe. They have the allrounder depth to cover the injury so could stay with the same formation. Could also play the straight 6 best bats 4 best bowlers if they wanted to also (so no Stokes and possibly Woakes as third seamer?) . Doubt they play two spinners without Moeen.

Whatever happens if Ali is injured it leaves England picking a spinner they don't really want to.

One article I read suggested that the intention was to rest Root from the tour but that had now changed given their WC performance.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking at Reece Topley's figures, surely you could make a case for him being in and around the Test team right now? Averaging mid 20s after a reasonable sample size of games. I know he's had injury problems but surely he's very close when fully fit?

Raffski

School Boy/Girl Captain
Looking at Reece Topley's figures, surely you could make a case for him being in and around the Test team right now? Averaging mid 20s after a reasonable sample size of games. I know he's had injury problems but surely he's very close when fully fit?
Spent all his career in division two and as you mentioned, somewhat injury prone. Certainly a very promising player however, always impressed me when I've seen him, could well be the answer to England's lack of variety.

theegyptian

Topley would probably have been considered in the last couple of years but for his injuries. Injuries really only just came on in the last couple of years. Still untested outside England and given that he's an early 80mph swing bowler (albeit from 6'7'' height) he really needs to prove that he can do a bit outside England with the lions before England select him for test cricket. Would probably of had a go instead of Gurney in odi or t20 last year were it not for injuries. Needs to get fit and hit 85mph+ more regularly.

Paul Newman ‏@Paul_NewmanDM 5m5 minutes ago

Hearing Ben Stokes, Mark Wood, Adam Lyth, Adil Rashid, Jonny Bairstow and Liam Plunkett all in England's Test squad. More on @MailSport soon

If true that's a lot of Yorkshire players away for the start of the county season.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Wonder if this series will the one in which Chanderpaul calls it a day ?

Any stabs on a WIndies lineup ?

Braithwaite
?
Dazza Bravo
Marlon
Chanders
Blackwood
Ramdin
Permaul
Holder
Roach
Taylor

???

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonder if this series will the one in which Chanderpaul calls it a day ?

Any stabs on a WIndies lineup ?

Braithwaite
?
Dazza Bravo
Marlon
Chanders
Blackwood
Ramdin
Permaul
Holder
Roach
Taylor

???
Devon Smith or Leon Johnson probably to open probably, Lil Bravo is just as likely to show for the series as he is to be missing so Johnson could take his place at 3 anyway.

Chanders has to be close to going though, the thought would be very much in his mind after the SA series so he's got to be at least halfway there already.

Last edited: