• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Intelligent Sloggers.

FRAZ

International Captain
Well Afridi is just a slogger and so is ROmesh Kaluwitharana. Excellent Sloggers mean the guys who have control over there slog shots in the gaps unlike Afridi .
I will give them a rating as followed
1 . Adam Gilchrist
2. Jaysuria
3. Sehwag.
4. Moin Khan
5. AbdulRazzaq
And as far as worst are concerned
1. Afridi.
2. Azhar Mehmood
3. KaluWitharana
4. Shoaib Malik
Comments?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Nathan Astle.Call me biased if you want.

When he wants to slog,he slogs it well.He barely EVER just slogs it down a fielders throat.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Gilly rarely slog's to be honest apart form his slog sweep.

He cut's pulls and drives the ball somtimes arial but they are 90% of the time proper cricket shot's.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Think you're being a bit harsh on Gilchrist , Jayasuria , Kalu & to an extent Azhar , they can all throw the bat in a manner definable as 'slogging' when in the mood.
However they are also capable of playing quite sensibly when required.

Sloggers for me are the likes of Afridi , Brett Lee , Akhtar , Shane Bond , Andre Adams.
The guys who can play the 'slogging' role but basically nothing else.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Brett Lee has developed into a bit of a slogger but he is much better than that.

His drives onside and offside are quite good so is his cut shot off the quick's.

The two test fifty's he has made have been very well constructed inning's hardly any sloging at all.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jayasuriya is definitely not a slogger. I understand what you are trying to get at, where there is a difference between going out there and throwing the bat and slogging "properly", but Jayasuriya isn't in either of those categories.

FRAZ

International Captain
You know what I heard a lot about this 222 inning by Astle . I dont know why I havent seen it . Gonna look for any video of this match ..

FRAZ

International Captain
Jono said:
Jayasuriya is definitely not a slogger. I understand what you are trying to get at, where there is a difference between going out there and throwing the bat and slogging "properly", but Jayasuriya isn't in either of those categories.
hmmmmmmm Ok

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Watching Gilchrist and Symonds atm in Perth, you would be hard pressed to find better. An awesome assault.

Craig

World Traveller
Eclipse said:
His drives onside and offside are quite good so is his cut shot off the quick's.
I reckon he cover drives pretty well that most batsman would be proud of.

Sudeep

International Captain
Lance Klusener, Jacques Kallis, Moin Khan, Abdul Razzaq, Andy Blignaut etc. I'm not saying that these guys always slog. They, most of the times, play proper cricketing shots. But when required, they improvise the best, to SLOG.

I hate Virendar Sehwag. Yes, his shots are a treat to watch, but he has no temperament. I don't think he carries out PLANNED slogging. He's just THROW THE BAT AT EVERYTHING.

It's important to plan a slog, and the guys I mentioned are very very good at it.

Nathan Astle can also be added to the list, purely on the basis of his 222, but I haven't seen him do THAT often.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I would never have classed him as an improviser/slogger in the same class as the other four you list. He's much closer to someone like Astle, say, who hits proper shots hard.

And even so, he's only started playing in a more aggressive manner in the last few months.

Craig

World Traveller
Lance Klusener.

He is not hitting it well ATM.

This is going to change and going to make me look foolish.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Lance Klusener.

He is not hitting it well ATM.

This is going to change and going to make me look foolish.
Klusener 41 not out off 38 balls isn't too bad. He time a couple of shots nicely.