• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand

anzac

International Debutant
Token said:
3 News showed that Astle had his knee cleared of any problems and scored a brisk 30 in an un-official game for Canterbury which they were using for preparation for the State Shield final as the team hasn't played for 1-2 weeks. He was also running freely between the wickets and is a starter for the Canterbury vs CD game, looks certain to be back in black come 13th Feb.

that's some good news.........

:)

anzac

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
"A few games back?"

That's not Great form, 1 50 in domestic Cricket.

not when you consider that 3 out of Fleming's last 4 innings were unbeaten Limited Overs tons..........:O

or that Oram scored a limited overs ton in his only match since the ODI series..........

but to his credit Cairns has scored more runs back in Shield games than H Marshall since their return after the ODI series........

:D

Kent

State 12th Man
It's 4.10am. Anyone want a cat that jumps at door handles, then brings in mice? :rodent:

anzac said:
I'm afraid I'm one of those who has called for the dropping of both Vincent & McMillan (as well as Cairns). With Vincent I don't see him as an opener in either squad, but I do consider him for an anchor type role in the middle orders of each, until / unless other options are tried / found
There's nothing wrong with having called for either to be dropped. It's interesting to me though - Vincent still averages about the same as nostalgic hero Bruce Edgar did as an opener, with only one less ton. Meanwhile Vettori's bowling average is ballooning into embarrassing realms, but he's still given sole reign by most.

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
Kent said:
It's 4.10am. Anyone want a cat that jumps at door handles, then brings in mice? :rodent:

There's nothing wrong with having called for either to be dropped. It's interesting to me though - Vincent still averages about the same as nostalgic hero Bruce Edgar did as an opener, with only one less ton. Meanwhile Vettori's bowling average is ballooning into embarrassing realms, but he's still given sole reign by most.

interesting re Vincent's stats v Edgar.....I think I also heard somewhere that his partnerships with Richardson have been the most successful re opening stands of 50+ since Wright & Edgar........

my main problem with him opening in Tests is his inconsistency - if he doesn't perform he gets out early - whereas Edgar was more like Richardson so even if he got out cheaply he had invariably seen off the new ball attack - the main function of your openers in Tests.......

to further complicate the Vincent opening issue I believe that the ODI situation has eroded his confidence, which you need as an opener to do your job.........

IMO he should have been given a break earlier, and then given more time to establish a rapport with Fleming..........correct me if I'm wrong but I think Cumming has possibly played more consecutive games with Flem as openers than anyone........Vincent was already in trouble b4 Flem took on the role & was unable to get his confidence / form together ...........

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Astle getting better is great news.

what did I tell yeh?

Anyway,about the opening,I think Richardson is solid as a rock for opening.But who at the other end?Vincent,and possibly fleming...

Has marshall done any good in tests?

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Another good thing about McCullum is that his brother is the national keeper and Brendon must atleast have a good a worest understanding of Naths bowling.

Mingster

State Regular
marc71178 said:
"A few games back?"

That's not Great form, 1 50 in domestic Cricket.
He's only played 2 games for an average of 56.50. I mean that's crap isn't it Marc? :rolleyes:

Mingster

State Regular
Taylor is younger than Papps and Fulton. Taylor is 18 and those other two are 24/25.

We have enough talent in the batting in Tests. I'm not worried.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Suggest you read the comments and not put words into peoples' mouths.

It's not crap, he never said it was, but he's not at (or even particularly close to) his best from what evidence I've seen.

Marshall has played one Test three years ago and made a painstaking 40*.

anzac

International Debutant
BlackCap_Fan said:
Astle getting better is great news.

what did I tell yeh?

Anyway,about the opening,I think Richardson is solid as a rock for opening.But who at the other end?Vincent,and possibly fleming...

Has marshall done any good in tests?

awww hell - can we please NOT consider Fleming as candidate for Test Opener!!!!!

My vote is for Papps as both opener & 'keeper for the Test side.....

as Neil posted Marshall has a 40no from his only Test appearance in RSA several years back as a 20 yr old - but he batted further down the order on that one.........one of the reasons it was painstaking is because he was almost single handedly trying to hold together the innings as the batting collapsed around him........

anzac

International Debutant
Mingster said:
Taylor is younger than Papps and Fulton. Taylor is 18 and those other two are 24/25.

We have enough talent in the batting in Tests. I'm not worried.

yep - I knew both Taylor & Ryder are the babies of the bunch - I was just giving a general overview re age brackets eg Papps, McIntosh & Fulton are mid 20ish, whereas the others are early 20ish or younger and have a couple of years to be developed to continue their current performances etc........

I'll just remain a bit skeptical re the batting until I see some of these guys selected either in the team or squad

as I said b4 IMO it's still only potential until you see if they can step up to the next level...........eg who'd have thought that Hicks wouldn't make it when we saw him playing for ND let alone when he went to England!!!!!:O

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mingster said:
He's only played 2 games for an average of 56.50. I mean that's crap isn't it Marc? :rolleyes:
2 matches isn't enough to determine form.

He could go on score a few runs in the next 3 or 4 games, or he could score a load.

At the moment, he cannot be called in "great" form, so that's what I said.

Mingster

State Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Marshall has played one Test three years ago and made a painstaking 40*.
Um he did well when all our batsmen crumbled.

I suggest you take the situation into equation before saying that.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Astle doesnt want to risk it

well,we have fleming in the odis and richardson in the tests...but I think Astle made the right desicion to wait till the tour of england.Bond will be ready then prbably too.

Edit: Fixed your link :)

Last edited by a moderator:

anzac

International Debutant
I think the Shield final has given the selectors some food for thought & they will be watching the S.O.O. performances keenly as a result of the apparent lack of application from some of the current senior internationals.

Having said that & in view of their continued faith in Cumming & Cairns, I doubt that they will have the nerve to make any changes for the first couple of matches - otherwise we could see a few new faces start the series, ie another opener and 2 new batsmen in the middle / lower order, & possibly another seam / swing bowler to be introduced!

8D

Mingster

State Regular
Craig said:
Richard Jones a chance of playing against South Africa?
I doubt it. Especially if the likes of Fulton and Papps continue their rich vein of form.

Jones doesn't have the ability methinks to make it at the top level.