• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** U-19 World Cup 2004

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Well its just 2 weeks away and some warmup games are underway this week.

A AUS, SL, ZIM, CAN

B RSA, ENG, NEP, UGANDA

C IND, NZ, BANG, SCO

D WI, PAK, PNG, IRE

Who do you tip as group winners and semi finalists ?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
All the groups are around the same level IMO - don't pay much attention to the fact that Bdesh & Zim are Test Nations.

Zimbabwe's youth policy is too dominated by racism, and Bangladesh are weaker than Nepal at U19 level. Don't count out Ireland, either - they nailed the Qualifying competiton and one of their spinners ended with 19 wickets at 6 or something daft like that...

Don't forget that Tatenda Taibu was player of the tournament for his batting, keeping and bowling last time, so it's not that much of a guide to the future - what we're looking for are real standouts.

Hope it's a great tournament!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I know the RSA u-19's team is quite strong. They will fancy their chances of being the first RSA team to win a WC at any age level (seniors, u-19 or u-15).

Aus u-19 are not supposed to be as strong as they were when they won in 2002.

The Windies squad to me looks good on paper -- I guess we'll be able to realistically gauge their prospects only after their group against Pakistan.

India and SL generally produce good youth sides so I expect a strong challenge from them. More pertinently, they both made the final of the recent Asian u-19 championship ahead of Pakistan and Bangladesh.

PAKistan are unpredictable as always. I don't know much about NZ u-19's or Eng -- how do their supporters see their chances ?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm down in Christchurch next week & i'll be heading out to the Academy to see the NZ U19 team play.
From what I can gather, this is the best NZ U19 team yet.
I think they'll have to do pretty well to achieve what the 1998 NZ U19 team achieved though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ will do really well if they beat India...a few of those Indian U19 players have 'A' and first class honours whereas none of the NZ players have any of the sort.

If NZ do beat India, i'd seriously back them to go the whole way in the WC.

masterblaster

International Captain
For me, India to win their group quite easily, and even possibly the WC.

Rayadu is an awesome, awesome batsman, and there is some other great talent here.

India won it in 2000, Australia won it in 2002, India to win it again.

iamdavid

International Debutant
India look the favourites for me , Australia will still be right up there & I'll back Adam Crosthwaite to win player of the tournament.
But the Aussie squad , while still good , is nowhere near the same calibre as it was last time when White , Casson , Doherty , Bird , Cassell , Marsh , Burke etc where all there.

The Windies & South Africa both have pretty decent looking teams aswell.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Which players in the various teams have actually played first class cricket? I dont know why Indians under 19 manage to play first class but thats not quite the case with other teams..

iamdavid

International Debutant
Pratyush said:
Which players in the various teams have actually played first class cricket? I dont know why Indians under 19 manage to play first class but thats not quite the case with other teams..
Of the Australian's Crosthwaite has one ING cup game & Paine's got a Tasmanian state contract.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Tim said:
NZ will do really well if they beat India...a few of those Indian U19 players have 'A' and first class honours whereas none of the NZ players have any of the sort.

If NZ do beat India, i'd seriously back them to go the whole way in the WC.
Well actually Rayudu is the only one in that India u-19 team to have played for India A.

But yes a few of the players have played first class cricket -- I think this is one of the few positive features of the Ranji trophy as it currently stands; ie young talents are fast tracked from age-level tournaments into first class cricket to see how well they cope.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
I guess it all depends on how "first class" this first class Cricket actually is...
WEll it's probably more first class that the so-called "first class" in England. :D

southern man

U19 Cricketer
GO KIWI

I only know about one New Zealand player and that is Sean Eathorne who has been in good form recentley.
In a tour to Australia with the school he scored three 50's and one hundred in five games.
In the U19 champs ge got four fifties and a hundred, Also took a great catch when Dayle Hadlee was talking to Mark Bracwell (Otago coach) about selecting him.
Still in High school.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Kapil Dev had come in my younger brother, Abhinav's school to promote the under-19 world cup for TV channel Set Max. Read about it here

They distributed a cap with the under 19 world cup logo on it and a Kapil Dev signature. Nice souvenier :)