Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was spin bowling once an easier art?

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar

Was spin bowling once an easier art?

I don't know if this is the case, am asking out of pure curiosity, but was it easier to be a more successful(statistically speaking) spinner in years gone by? Due to uncovered pitches and other factors etc which resulted in a lot of spinners e.g laker ending up with such low averages, not to mention even older spinners such as rhodes and verity, who ended up with ridiculously low FC averages.Or was it just the case that they were technically brilliant?
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Pitches, IMO
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Yes it can be uncoverved pitches.

Though what hurts current spinners averages in particular is attacking batting employed these days by batsmen.

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    True, but the whole point of spin bowling is deception to the point that hand eye co-ordination of a batsman cannot counter whatever a spin bowler is making the ball do. Therefore the more a batsman attacks the ball, the more likely he is to get an edge etc, that is if the bowler in question has a lot of variation. Many pitches (away from the subcontinent) no doubt add to this fact that averages are going up however because of the lack of options they give to spin bowling.

International Coach
    Pitches for me, too.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

I am of the opinion that a good spin bowler in one era would be good in every other era. Pitches may help him to improve stats but a good spinner will remain good. A lot of bowlers today are not flighting the ball enough due to the one day cricket which is the reason they are not bein successful. You look at the Pakistani spinners right now or the Indian spinners of the 70s... they all used to flight the ball except Chandra.

The spinners which are doing well right now, be it Warne, Murali or the lesser category of vettoris and prices, all flight the ball.

International Captain
    There is an old saying that a young beginner fast bowler with a messed up action later becomes an Off spinner ...... Right ?
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

International Coach
    Yup.

When Warne and Murali were young, they both used to bowl medium.

They switched to spin for various reasons.

Originally posted by halsey
    Yup.

When Warne and Murali were young, they both used to bowl medium.

They switched to spin for various reasons.
    And Kumble still bowls medium pace..

International Coach
    Very true.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Giles, of course, used to be a seamer.
    If you ask me a wristspinner can be a dangerous bowler anywhere, a fingerspinner can be dangerous only once the pitch offers a certain amount of turn.
    Otherwise it is simply not possible for a human hand to impart the neccesary spin to turn the ball dangerously.
    There can surely be no question that uncovered wickets caused these conditions to prevail far more often and hence fingerspin used to be effective far more often than it is now.
    Flight, with loop and drift, is very useful but only as a compliment to turn. It will simply make a dangerous bowler even more dangerous. It will not make an innocuous bowler a dangerous one.
    If you try to attack spin when the ball is turning, meanwhile, the chances are you'll pay for it sooner rather than later, so I don't think attacking batting has made potentially good bowlers less so.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Coach
    I agree with everything you say here.

International Debutant
    Originally posted by Richard
    Giles, of course, used to be a seamer.
    If you ask me a wristspinner can be a dangerous bowler anywhere, a fingerspinner can be dangerous only once the pitch offers a certain amount of turn.
    Otherwise it is simply not possible for a human hand to impart the neccesary spin to turn the ball dangerously.
    There can surely be no question that uncovered wickets caused these conditions to prevail far more often and hence fingerspin used to be effective far more often than it is now.
    Flight, with loop and drift, is very useful but only as a compliment to turn. It will simply make a dangerous bowler even more dangerous. It will not make an innocuous bowler a dangerous one.
    If you try to attack spin when the ball is turning, meanwhile, the chances are you'll pay for it sooner rather than later, so I don't think attacking batting has made potentially good bowlers less so.

very good & very true...........

IMO not only were the uncovered pitches a factor but also the pitches today are 'dead' in comparison - as per the flat tracks thread - no bite on Day1 for the seamers & no turn on Day 5 for the finger spinners in particular.......hence why AUS has a preference / prevalence for wristies atm..........

Pinball Champion!
    Better Pitches
    Better Bats
    Better Outfields

Id say its harder bowling in general these days, whatever you happen to be bowling...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Captain
    And you know why Subcontinent spinners are good. Coz of their natural thin and FLEXIBLE wrist . And actually their fingers also are thin and so their grip is firm and placement of fingers is very flexible . Not me saying only The experts do say this thing also ... right ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information