Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Could 4 day tests actually be brilliant? Or, how to make them so....

U19 Debutant

Could 4 day tests actually be brilliant? Or, how to make them so....

Not that I want it, but the 4 day test thing could be interesting if it resulted in more bowler friendly conditions.

I reckon a 4 day test with the following might be great...

- Pitches with a tinge of green in Aus, Eng, SA and crumbling dustbowls on the Subcontinent (WI are skint, so they'll keep their low, dead tracks as is).
    - Direct the umpires to play on for as long as possible, rather than whisking the players off the moment it gets just a tad dark.
    - For me, the biggest win that DRS has provided is the willingness of umpires to give the bowler the full 3 stumps for leg before, extend that further by removing that heinous ball hitting outside off restriction. The double benefit is that it forces the batsman to play more and makes that 'tuck the bat behind the pad' feint a bit pointless.
    - Dump the stupid Kookyburra, swingy Duke balls for everyone
    - Allow the bowler to legally modify the condition of the ball however only the use of substances naturally existing on the field of play is allowed. ie. Fingernails are fine, toothpicks are not.

The batsman is king of the limited over formats, that isn't changing any time soon. Giving the bowler tests seems like a natural compromise to me.
    Hurricane likes this.

The ICC doesn't have a deep hatred of currency.

The 200 plays 180 plays 220 plays 190 matches with one hard fought century every 2-3 tests and RRs of around 2.4 appeal to a small % within the CW-style hardcore test cricket fans who are a drop in the ocean relative to the overall commercial audience. It'd be financial disaster.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

I like (most of) those changes, but can't we just bring them in and still keep the game 5 days?
    Prince EWS, Flem274*, Jono and 1 others like this.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    I'd love to see an old school series of timeless tests played. Endurance would need to be a real thing. Might see the use of more spinners than quicks. Tactically it would be really intriguing (different).
    andmark and zorax like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I don't think the batsmen of today would really thrive on it - it's hard to curb your natural instincts that much. And I don't think it's good for cricket if they do. The Test would likely end in five days anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Nah it'd be great. You'd get some serious scoreboard pressure when there was no reason to make sure you declare with enough time to bowl them out and you end up chasing 800 in the fourth. The much loved Australian method of batting out the draw would actually be a decent idea!!

I don't really want to see 1200 runs scored off 1200 overs though. That does not sound like something I'd want to sit through.

That didn't happen before though did it?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    I'd love to see an old school series of timeless tests played. Endurance would need to be a real thing. Might see the use of more spinners than quicks. Tactically it would be really intriguing (different).
    I think if we ever have a Test Championship; the final should be a Timeless Test. Just to ensure a result, and think of how much money you could make off a final that lasted 6-7 days.

Imagine the road they'd prepare for a timeless test though the greedy ****ers. Would rather watch a good five day test.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Duckett, Hameed, Jennings, Stoneman, Denly, Roy | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati.

Even if it is a road, innings 3 and 4 would be interesting. The pitch would eventually break up, bowlers start to break down, batsmen and fielders get frustrated.

Make it a 5 day match and sides are more likely to play for the draw IMO. Flat pitch to last 5 days, and sides being unwilling to risk losing to win because they know if they draw the trophy is shared.

You take the draw out of the equation and you're going to see more determination to win.

But an extremely high percentage of five day games end up with a result these days. What it would lead to is pretty boring cricket where batsmen feel that they need to take literally zero risks. Also you say innings 3 and 4 would be interesting but how boring as hell would the first seven days of that test?
    Last edited by silentstriker; 26-02-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    If they are going to *** with it & reduce it to 4 days....then at the very least increase the daily quota of overs from 90 to 100. That way it only really reduces from 450 overs to 400..as opposed to 360 with the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    But an extremely high percentage of five day games end up with a result these days. What it would lead to is pretty boring cricket where batsmen feel that they need to take literally zero risks. Also you say innings 3 and 4 would be interesting but how boring as hell would the first seven days of that test?
    I think that's the charm of it. Watching sides used to producing results in 5 days try and curb their natural game to suit the timeless test challenge. How would they cope knowing they could bat as long as they wanted? How would they bowl knowing their opponents will probably never declare?

Imagine batsmen like McCullum and Warner trying to come to terms with this, or India's bowling attack actually having to take 10 wickets to get the innings to end. Imagine the challenge for sides like Australia who carry such fragile quick bowlers.

I think it would be fascinating. You won't have anymore declaration bowling, perhaps 5 bowlers in each side, more aggressive bowling plans than simply 'bowling dry', and each wicket would be worth so much more.

Probably not great to watch live in the stands, but definitely very interesting to follow.

Dan
    Warner's not going to suddenly start making 100 (400) just because the Test can run for six weeks if it wants to. I think the extreme majority of non-weather affected Timeless Tests finished within 5 days anyway.
    zorax likes this.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I'm the worst poster on this forum, end of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information