• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please piss off ECB

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Surely in India Tests should just be rotated between the really big cities? (thinking Mumbai, Dehli, Kolkata, Bangalore and Chennai here)
I don't think the BCCI works that way, and in some ways it's nice that cities all across the country get to hold international matches. Who said keeping a billion fans happy is easy?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've thought this for a while. Boards don't rely on gate receipts for profits; if you're not selling out your grounds (or close to) then your prices are probably too high.
They kinda do here to an extent.

In England at least the counties (+MCC for Lords) bid for the right to stage a test (which is why Cardiff keeps getting ****ing Ashes tests, one assumes) and it's the money from those successful bids that swells the ECB's coffers, rather than the gate receipts as such but the assumed income from the paying punters is a factor in the amounts bid.

If counties couldn't charge for entrance to the tests, they'd be no mileage in bidding for the right to host them, so a (vomits quietly) revenue stream would be lost.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They kinda do here to an extent.

In England at least the counties (+MCC for Lords) bid for the right to stage a test (which is why Cardiff keeps getting ****ing Ashes tests, one assumes) and it's the money from those successful bids that swells the ECB's coffers, rather than the gate receipts as such but the assumed income from the paying punters is a factor in the amounts bid.

If counties couldn't charge for entrance to the tests, they'd be no mileage in bidding for the right to host them, so a (vomits quietly) revenue stream would be lost.
England is entirely different; Tests attendances are excellent there.

Niall

International Coach
England don't need those really. They get good crowds and could realistically play till about 7:30pm in good summer months.
I think if day/night test cricket comes in, then it should be up to the teams playing each other whether they would like that option before a series. Obviously England when Australia come to town would be happy enough with tests at the same time as now, but I think maybe in the UAE where Pakistan host they would be keen for day/night tests as attendances are awful. Heck I think even South Africa and NZ would be keen on them when sides who they wouldn't consider strong draws turn up. eg Sri Lanka, West Indies, Pakistan etc.

Flem274*

123/5
The way forward for low profile series is smaller venues. The basin, seddon park, uni oval etc. They're always packed. Eden park for anything except nz v big name in an odi? Nah. I suspect it would be the case Ed lsewhere too

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Completely agree which is why I felt that New Zealand were the better hosts initially at the World Cup. Scotland vs Afghanistan was the perfect example, played at a small intimate ground which meant that the ground felt packed and there was a decent atmosphere that would have been completely lost if the game had taken place in say Brisbane or Adelaide.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Completely agree which is why I felt that New Zealand were the better hosts initially at the World Cup. Scotland vs Afghanistan was the perfect example, played at a small intimate ground which meant that the ground felt packed and there was a decent atmosphere that would have been completely lost if the game had taken place in say Brisbane or Adelaide.
Canberra and Hobart did a good job with similar games, to be fair.

michaelmax

Cricket Spectator
Hi new here.

Ok four day Teests nonsensical idea. However, this thing about WI missing IPL stars is silly since with the exception of Chris Gayle, NONE of them actually play Tests. Pollard has never played a Test. Narine has hardly played any . Bravo ahs not played a Test since 2010. Russell does not play Test cricket and his style of batting and bowling do not command a place, and Sammy could only make the side as captain. Now Pollard frankly does not have the technique to play Tests inmho and Bravo well maybe but that assumes you don't have a better number 6. So West Indies isn't really missing anyone who would have featured in the tests bar Gayle. The majority of the team will be a number of the players who lost 2-1 to NZ and lost more heavily to SA but it is not a second XI.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not that it needs saying. But neither Giles Clarke nor the wider ECB are representative of English cricket fans. Thanks

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not that it needs saying. But neither Giles Clarke nor the wider ECB are representative of English cricket fans. Thanks
As much as it needs saying that BOTM winners aren't representative of CWers. Thanks.