• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please piss off ECB

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Graves living up to the bluff, pulled-himself-up-by-his-bootsraps, bread and dripping, "nay, lad" Yorkshire stereotype.

Says what he likes and likes what he bloody well says.
Maybe KP will only come back if it's 4 day test matches? #KPsFault

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It doesn't seem so long ago that the ICC were talking about having six day Tests in certain areas of the subcontinent (specifically Pakistan, if I recall correctly) due to shortened daylight hours.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It doesn't seem so long ago that the ICC were talking about having six day Tests in certain areas of the subcontinent (specifically Pakistan, if I recall correctly) due to shortened daylight hours.
It's almost as if they're a clueless bunch of ****s who make it up as they go along...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I do like the bit about 'playing as long as you can in the evening' or whatever. Given how late it stays late in summer it's criminal when they walk off in dazzling sunshine despite being 60 overs behind in the game

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
Fewer Tests for England would be a great idea. Give a few to England and you can still have the same number of Tests in the cricketing calendar whilst not having to overdose on England tests.

But four day tests are an awful, awful idea. Would stand a good chance of killing Test cricket off entirely.
On that basis I support 4 day Tests, I am apathetic to the proposals otherwise,although I do feel that 40 overs a side is not good for the game!

We just had a great 50 over World Cup if it aint broke dont fix it!!

Niall

International Coach
Test cricket doesn't need any tinkering and it's perfect as it is... bunch of morons.
It really does though sadly, the attendances in Asian grounds are weak. Indian test cricket's massive drawcard was Sachin for the last few years, what happens now Sachin is gone? Same for Lanka with Mahela and Kumar also nearly gone as well.

England is also slowing beginning to see smaller crowds, action is needed and the ideas proposed are left field but deserve some discussion.

Out of curiosity for the Indian brigade, could 4 day 100 over a day test matches work in your country?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It really does though sadly, the attendances in Asian grounds are weak. Indian test cricket's massive drawcard was Sachin for the last few years, what happens now Sachin is gone? Same for Lanka with Mahela and Kumar also nearly gone as well.

England is also slowing beginning to see smaller crowds, action is needed and the ideas proposed are left field but deserve some discussion.

Out of curiosity for the Indian brigade, could 4 day 100 over a day test matches work in your country?
I think India would be better served keeping Tests 5 days and eliminating admission fees for Test matches entirely. The BCCI makes enough from television revenue to compensate the Test centres. It is the easiest way to ensure bums on the seats.

cnerd123

likes this
Also a more exciting brand of cricket would help - faster pitches, faster outfields, and more help for the bowlers. Slow turning roads are really dull to watch.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think India would be better served keeping Tests 5 days and eliminating admission fees for Test matches entirely. The BCCI makes enough from television revenue to compensate the Test centres. It is the easiest way to ensure bums on the seats.
I've thought this for a while. Boards don't rely on gate receipts for profits; if you're not selling out your grounds (or close to) then your prices are probably too high.

Niall

International Coach
For Indians fans here.

Would you consider taking test cricket to areas which rarely see International cricket of any kind or would you keep them in the supposed strongholds for Indian test crowds?

The free entry would be a good idea for certain sides at least, teams like the West Indies who may not be a draw, although not so sure I'd be keen on it once Australia or England show up and most certainly would not be if Pakistan were to.
I

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I never understood why they would try to make money from fans who turn up on the grounds at the test matches. They can charge absolute minimal and just get as many people to watch matches, my virtue of people in the ground they can always cross-sell in terms of merchandise and food at the ground level anyways.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
For Indians fans here.

Would you consider taking test cricket to areas which rarely see International cricket of any kind or would you keep them in the supposed strongholds for Indian test crowds?
I
Yeah definitely, most big cities have their set of IPL/International games a year which makes going to a test match just another option as oppose to the only option. Smaller cities might be more inclined to show up as they barely get games, having said that the cost should again be minimal as people in small cities/villages don't make nearly as much and so the prices should be affordable.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Surely in India Tests should just be rotated between the really big cities? (thinking Mumbai, Dehli, Kolkata, Bangalore and Chennai here)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
England don't need those really. They get good crowds and could realistically play till about 7:30pm in good summer months.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah I never understood why they would try to make money from fans who turn up on the grounds at the test matches. They can charge absolute minimal and just get as many people to watch matches, my virtue of people in the ground they can always cross-sell in terms of merchandise and food at the ground level anyways.
Often it's the state/county associations who are the ones who get the profits from the gate, rather than CA/BCCI, etc.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The idea of it becoming a better spectator sport by increasing the hours of play each day doesn't really make sense to me.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Often it's the state/county associations who are the ones who get the profits from the gate, rather than CA/BCCI, etc.
I'm sure the BCCI could compensate them from there own pocket in an effort to get more people at the ground though. I'm not sure how much they would be making at the gate given the lack of crowds at test matches to begin with.