• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should England recall Kevin Pietersen from his England hiatus?

Should England recall Kevin Pietersen from his England hiatus?

• Yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure this has been stated before, but the time to dump him was after he sent those txts to the South Africans.

Once they recalled him from that, it made no sense to dump him after the Ashes. As ****ty as his behaviour might have been, I doubt it was worse than actual treachery.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha no it bloody is not.
It depends from player to player, KP is one of those players who just raises his game depending on the quality of the opposition, to ask him to match the latest set of county cricketers who are having awesome FC seasons just doesn't work imo. I feel KP is still a better ODI/T20 bat then most of what England have currently and its showing in England's recent ODI form.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, and of course that's backed up by his ODI record since 2009. Oh wait, no it isn't, his record since then is ****, with just one good series in 5 years. I guess that he must've only played against poor sides in ODIs as well then? And the last IPL must also be full of crap teams...

I think it's telling that the people calling for him to come back are not English and the ones who don't want him are.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't like to get too involved in the political reasons since none of us really know what goes on in the England dressing room, but purely on cricketing reasons I was against the sacking but would similarly be against a recall.
Yeah me too

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It is if you tell him he's never playing again. Depends purely on what he was told.
Why would you tell him to go and score more runs if you've told him he's never being picked again regardless? In fact, why would you tell him anything at all.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm sure this has been stated before, but the time to dump him was after he sent those txts to the South Africans.

Once they recalled him from that, it made no sense to dump him after the Ashes. As ****ty as his behaviour might have been, I doubt it was worse than actual treachery.
Or the idea that letting him back in would see a change in behaviour from Kevin. I'm sure that never came.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, and of course that's backed up by his ODI record since 2009. Oh wait, no it isn't, his record since then is ****, with just one good series in 5 years. I guess that he must've only played against poor sides in ODIs as well then? And the last IPL must also be full of crap teams...

I think it's telling that the people calling for him to come back are not English and the ones who don't want him are.
No, my point is that stats alone don't work, ESPECIALLY in the case of guys like Sehwag, Gayle and KP. Hell even someone like Rahane has had a below average ODI record ever since he made his debut (and still does), but he's a high quality batsmen and worth persisting with because he's good enough for the top level. These are the kind of players who you need to have a slightly different set of rules in which to judge them. You are also ignoring the fact that he's had knee troubles for the longest time which obviously affected his performances.

Also I'm not calling for him to be back, I'm just saying that judging him based on his numbers in the last few years is not the best way to go in order to determine if he's in good nick or not. There is a reason why its telling that most non English fans would want KP back and English fans wouldn't, its the way the English and English selectors view the ODI game, notwidthstanding external issues, very few other teams wouldn't want KP in their ODI side.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No, my point is that stats alone don't work, ESPECIALLY in the case of guys like Sehwag, Gayle and KP. Hell even someone like Rahane has had a below average ODI record ever since he made his debut (and still does), but he's a high quality batsmen and worth persisting with because he's good enough for the top level. These are the kind of players who you need to have a slightly different set of rules in which to judge them. You are also ignoring the fact that he's had knee troubles for the longest time which obviously affected his performances.

Also I'm not calling for him to be back, I'm just saying that judging him based on his numbers in the last few years is not the best way to go in order to determine if he's in good nick or not. There is a reason why its telling that most non English fans would want KP back and English fans wouldn't, its the way the English and English selectors view the ODI game, notwidthstanding external issues, very few other teams wouldn't want KP in their ODI side.
Yeah, this might be the case if cricket wasn't a team game and that it hadn't been well-documented that the guy is a pernicious fool who was an absolutely toxic presence in the dressing room. Painting the whole thing as being an issue tied to what he can do at the crease is to miss the point entirely.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indians should ask was Vinod Kambli worth the hassle, we gave KP far more chances and now he is an aged crock who plays very little cricket. No reason to bring him back if he is hardly playing. If he was giving it a proper go and in form then you could argue in his favour but not when he is only playing hit and giggle.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Also, lets be honest, it's not like any of us really expected KP to hang around that much longer. He probably would've retired after this world cup or something had he not been sacked. The way it goes on you'd think he was cut short before his prime rather than an international of nine years who was reaching his mid 30's.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, this might be the case if cricket wasn't a team game and that it hadn't been well-documented that the guy is a pernicious fool who was an absolutely toxic presence in the dressing room. Painting the whole thing as being an issue tied to what he can do at the crease is to miss the point entirely.
Or maybe you could actually go back and read my posts, and by doing so you might realize that the only aspect that I disagreed with was the suggestion that he doesn't merit a team in the place is due to his batting form, and not an argument suggesting that KP deserves to be in the England side at all costs.

If someone comes up to me and says "KP is a disruption to the team and he causes problems for others, etc etc etc.. and therefore should not be a part of the England side" - I can totally understand that. If someone comes up to me and says "I think England's top 7 ODI bats are all better than KP because he hasn't played well in X previous years etc" - That's not something I'd agree with, that's my personal opinion and I would definitely back KP to make siginficant contributions in this WC had he been given a chance to play. Whether or not he deserves that opportunity is an entirely different argument altogether, one that I'm not actually getting into, sorry if I made it sound that way.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Or maybe you could actually go back and read my posts, and by doing so you might realize that the only aspect that I disagreed with was the suggestion that he doesn't merit a team in the place is due to his batting form, and not an argument suggesting that KP deserves to be in the England side at all costs.

If someone comes up to me and says "KP is a disruption to the team and he causes problems for others, etc etc etc.. and therefore should not be a part of the England side" - I can totally understand that. If someone comes up to me and says "I think England's top 7 ODI bats are all better than KP because he hasn't played well in X previous years etc" - That's not something I'd agree with, that's my personal opinion and I would definitely back KP to make siginficant contributions in this WC had he been given a chance to play. Whether or not he deserves that opportunity is an entirely different argument altogether, one that I'm not actually getting into, sorry if I made it sound that way.
As if I cbf to read your posts.