• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in The West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
I wouldn't be surprised if BCL fell on his sword too.

Visions of deja-vu here.
I'm pretty certain that Lara would have to be sacked to lose the captaincy. I can't see him resigning, especially not at this stage in West Indies cricket fortunes.

Mr Mxyzptlk

SpaceMonkey said:
Thats a bit rubbish :) lots of umpires take time, Bucknor for one! The fact it was shown that he was indeed out from TV replays shows he made the right choice to think about it and give it out.
Bucknor does tend to do the same, but that doesn't make it acceptable. If you're taking that long to make a decision, there must be some doubt. Any doubt goes to the batsman. Innocent until proven guilty. It's not like the 3rd umpire. He's not watching a replay.
Also it cant help team moral if the captain has to drop himself 2 places down the order cos he feels his batting isnt up to the task.
If he's physically not up to the task, there shouldn't be a problem really.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
If he's physically not up to the task, there shouldn't be a problem really.
More to the point, is he at the moment mentally up to the task?

That's why I was advocating him possibly stepping down from the captaincy awhile. The poor bloke's just got so much on his shoulders.

Give the poisoned chalice to someone else for the next test.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Yep, i have to agree with you there.

Trescothick has made 18 runs in 4 innings this series with a highest score of 7.

Impressive :lol: :lol: :lol:
This stuff is beginning to annoy me now.

He has had a bad series, not disputing that. But form is temporary, class is permanent.

I believe in the past year, he averages over 45?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:

He has had a bad series, not disputing that. But form is temporary, class is permanent.

Since when was Trescothick 'class'?

Watch his non existent foot movement.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tom Halsey said:

If Trescothick was class, then he would be able to hit himself into form in the County Championship, and make himself irresistable to the selectors with form...

So maybe his biggest test is yet to come...

If he is class, ive never seen a class player have such an appalling technique...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Matt Sinclair?

Both Trescothick & Sinclair have an excellent eye for the cricket ball, but they're never ever going to be consistent enough because either their technique or footwork is going to let them down most of the time.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Trescothick will get runs against NZ, because I think they'll set bowling & field plans like they did for Damien Martyn & make him their bunny.

As usual there will always be 1 player that a team will find hard to dismiss...I have a feeling Nasser Hussain may well be that man against NZ.

Mr Mxyzptlk

luckyeddie said:
More to the point, is he at the moment mentally up to the task?

That's why I was advocating him possibly stepping down from the captaincy awhile. The poor bloke's just got so much on his shoulders.

Give the poisoned chalice to someone else for the next test.
I don't think Lara will be able to function at his best without the captaincy. Also, I think he'll captain the side even if he isn't captain.

When he played under Daren Ganga for T&T this season, he was constantly talking to Ganga and the bowlers. I'm sure that's the way it will be.

One other point is that it would reflect very poorly to the rest of the team if their captain was to step down now.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Trescothick is a hitter, no more, no less.

He thrives on confidence, middling the ball and having bowlers who carry a negative attitude (in other words, 'must not bowl it there' as opposed to 'must bowl it there' - not very well put but I've been on the Guinness).

As a consequence, he's always about a maximum of half an hour away from hitting top form - a bit like Adam Gilchrist only half as good but with twice a thirst for cider.

I'd be happy to see him out of the side for a bit, but it certainly won't happen for the third test. Maybe the fourth.

Craig

World Traveller
Wow what a series for HArmison and Jones (or rather this Test).

Has Flintoff been his usual bowl well without luck in this series?

Andre

International Regular
Tim said:
Matt Sinclair?

Both Trescothick & Sinclair have an excellent eye for the cricket ball, but they're never ever going to be consistent enough because either their technique or footwork is going to let them down most of the time.
IMO, Tresco is a step above Sinclair as a batsman...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sinclair - 20 tests, 1100 runs, 37.93, 3 hundreds 1 fifty
Trescothick - 45 tests, 3193 runs, 41.46, 5 hundreds 21 fifties

While Sinclair has only played 20 tests (perhaps through his own fault & occassionally the selectors for not giving him a decent run) he hasn't had the chance to build up a test career like Trescothick has.
Throughout Trescothicks career he's shown the same inconsistency's that has plagued Sinclair..yet NZ seem to be less forgiving on Sinclair than England has with Trescothick.

Could you be more specific on why you think Trescothick is a step above?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I think Flintoff will do well to get his test bowling average below 35.
He's similar in a way to Daniel Vettori...both seem to be used as defensive or bowlers who try and create pressure at one end.

Andre

International Regular
Tim said:
Sinclair - 20 tests, 1100 runs, 37.93, 3 hundreds 1 fifty
Trescothick - 45 tests, 3193 runs, 41.46, 5 hundreds 21 fifties

While Sinclair has only played 20 tests (perhaps through his own fault & occassionally the selectors for not giving him a decent run) he hasn't had the chance to build up a test career like Trescothick has.
Throughout Trescothicks career he's shown the same inconsistency's that has plagued Sinclair..yet NZ seem to be less forgiving on Sinclair than England has with Trescothick.

Could you be more specific on why you think Trescothick is a step above?
It's partly his batting, partly what he brings to the side.

Safe hands in the slips and a fairly sharp cricketing brain.

Aside from that, I do still feel Trescothick is a better all-round batsman than Sinclair. Despite his lack of footwork, he uses his feet slightly more than Sinclair. He also possesses the ability to blow a game wide open, something that Sinclair cannot. Sinclair, IMO, is far more a run accumulator than a hitter.

In saying that, Trescothick's selection in the English side offers something differant as Butcher, Hussain, Thorpe and to an extent Vaughan are accumulators - and hence gives the outfit, IMO, a more balanced look.

Basically, I believe Trescothick is a match-winner and I'll always take him in my Enlish side - something which I wouldn't do with Sincalir and New Zealand because he's less likely to change a match, hence he can't really afford to go 3 or 4 Tests without a score.

Remember last time Trescothick's place was under slight pressure - before the Oval Test vs South Africa, and he peeled off a double hundred.

I expect to see him score runs in the remainder of the series.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough, you've made some valid points there.

Although there is one other key difference between the 2. One is an opener, the other is a middle order batsman.

Sinclair may have had more opportunities in the NZ team had he been an opener.

Andre

International Regular
Tim said:
Fair enough, you've made some valid points there.

Although there is one other key difference between the 2. One is an opener, the other is a middle order batsman.

Sinclair may have had more opportunities in the NZ team had he been an opener.
Yes, but remember, I didn't make the original comparison ;)