• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in The West Indies

PY

International Coach
For me, it is the fact that Harmison has long arms which he can open up and slog it if required but make no mistake, unless he is defending, he is a total rabbit.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I love how Harmison is like Warne when he bowls, really shows his face with great expression. Good fun to watch. Also, you can notice the instant change of stance Gayle has when he switches into his more aggressive mode.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
By the way, how tall is Chris Read? If he can hit so many sixes, he may have a good build, to match his sense of timing. Might come of some use when selecting a wicketkeeper who can bat
Except the selectors don't seem to think he can...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
For me, it is the fact that Harmison has long arms which he can open up and slog it if required but make no mistake, unless he is defending, he is a total rabbit.
He can hang in if needed, not the definition of a rabbit to me.

PY

International Coach
marc71178 said:
He can hang in if needed, not the definition of a rabbit to me.
Read my post.

"unless he is defending"

There was a reason why I wrote that. ;)
ie ODI rabbit.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Smith. Wow. Absoloutely bloody amazing. That guy can hit a six better than Cairns can. I take my hat off to him. ...okay, I don't have a hat. But if I did, I would take it off to him. That last flicker over the top was brilliant.

PY

International Coach
To me, that means 2-1 West Indies.

Unless Vaughan and Fletcher pull a miracle out the bag.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I predicted Trescothick would get runs in this series and its proved to be correct.

But without that innings, England could well have keeled over for less than 180, if you look at the other batsmen's scores.

Loony BoB

International Captain
And what a team effort. I think every single batsman aside from Lara upped his average on that one, and Lara still managed a good knock. Oh man, it's been way too long since I got to watch a good ODI. I'm so glad I go Sky installed. What a thrilling display. I thought the Windies were done and dusted by the English at one point. God I love it when the underdogs take that kind of step up.

Of course, England did a wonderful show for the most part. I just never expected for Smith and Sarwan to pull those off. It's like they came out of nowhere, as if they were almost wanting England to think they had it won or something.

Do I get too excited by these things? Haha. I love watching ODI's. Haven't seen a full ODI for over two years. I am one happy chappy.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Hey, it took me two years of paying off debt before I went for it, so I worked my weight! But yeah, you can call me whatever you like, it's cool. =]

It was nice to see Vaughan not make excuses or anything but rather admit that the batting display at the end was just beyond belief.

a massive zebra

International Captain
After this game Trescothick's 3 highest ODI scores were all made in matches England lost. He hardly scored a run in the Tests when England were winning. No point in having a batsman who only scores runs when his team loses. Drop him!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point of batting is to score runs, so that your team has more chance of winning, but in Trescothick's case a successful innings contradicts the very priniciple of making one - to help win a match. It would be better for England to select a batsman who would hardly score a run in international cricket (someone like Keith Newell), if they won with him in the side. Team success should generally be placed above individual success, except in rare cases like the 4th Test, where I believe Lara was right to go for the record because it meant more to the West Indian population than a consolidatory win would have done.

Am I talking crap?

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
Hey, it took me two years of paying off debt before I went for it, so I worked my weight! But yeah, you can call me whatever you like, it's cool. =]

It was nice to see Vaughan not make excuses or anything but rather admit that the batting display at the end was just beyond belief.
I was only kidding anyway, I'm sure you worked for it. I'm just jealous of everyone with SKy as I've only watched 2 ODI in the past 3 years.

One being England v Australia, WC 2003 and England v Pakistan NatWest Trophy 2003.

It is a truly depressing situation and I don't see it improving as my degree doesn't finish for 3 more years.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Loony BoB said:
And what a team effort. I think every single batsman aside from Lara upped his average on that one, and Lara still managed a good knock. Oh man, it's been way too long since I got to watch a good ODI. I'm so glad I go Sky installed. What a thrilling display. I thought the Windies were done and dusted by the English at one point. God I love it when the underdogs take that kind of step up.

Of course, England did a wonderful show for the most part. I just never expected for Smith and Sarwan to pull those off. It's like they came out of nowhere, as if they were almost wanting England to think they had it won or something.

Do I get too excited by these things? Haha. I love watching ODI's. Haven't seen a full ODI for over two years. I am one happy chappy.
Yeah your soooo right. A brilliant team effort. An awesome match.

Loony BoB

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
After this game Trescothick's 3 highest ODI scores were all made in matches England lost. He hardly scored a run in the Tests when England were winning. No point in having a batsman who only scores runs when his team loses. Drop him!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point of batting is to score runs, so that your team has more chance of winning, but in Trescothick's case a successful innings contradicts the very priniciple of making one - to help win a match. It would be better for England to select a batsman who would hardly score a run in international cricket (someone like Keith Newell), if it they won with him in the side. Team success should generally be placed above individual success, except in rare cases like the 4th Test, where I believe Lara was right to go for the record because it meant more to the West Indian population than a consolidatory win would have done.

Am I talking crap?
That's definitely an interesting alternative way of looking at things. xD Of course, if Trescothick really does lose matches by getting runs and yet England are still winning a lot of matches lately, would that not mean that if he bats poorly, it would increase England's chances of winning? ;) And if so, why not keep him in the team and have him get a load of ducks? :p

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Well I predicted Trescothick would get runs in this series and its proved to be correct.

But without that innings, England could well have keeled over for less than 180, if you look at the other batsmen's scores.
Alternatively you could've followed the match and you might have come across a more realistic scenario.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loony BoB said:
God I love it when the underdogs take that kind of step up.
Since when were the West Indies underdogs in this ODI series. I was of the opinion that people considered the teams evenly matched.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Since when were the West Indies underdogs in this ODI series. I was of the opinion that people considered the teams evenly matched.
He might have been referring to the fact that the West Indies looked like underdogs after Lara fell, not necessarily underdogs at the start of the match or series. Great win though, Sarwan really is a brilliant finisher, and Smith... well, he can hit sixes :D. Six sixes in three overs, unbelievable.