• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

THe Gabba - An International Cricketing Backwater

howardj

International Coach
It has to go on population otherwise, by your reasoning, all you have to do is have a great venue...irrespective of the population in and aroundthat venue

Doesn't pass the pub test, sorry gentlemen

howardj

International Coach
What if the Lord Mayor of Oonadatta was to have built a great venue?

Extreme example, but illustrates the point that population must be the principal factor

Not as though the Gabba is prmitive or a suburban joint

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah it should just be strictly based on population. Gold Coast, Newcastle, Canberra, Sunshine Coast and Wollongong should all get Test matches ahead of Hobart every summer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't really know why population should be a factor at all. You can't fit more people into the stadium just because there are more people in the city; the same amount of people get the experience regardless of population (assuming sell out).

dermo

International Vice-Captain
I don't really know why population should be a factor at all. You can't fit more people into the stadium just because there are more people in the city; the same amount of people get the experience regardless of population (assuming sell out).
well more people would then have the opportunity to go, though the decision should definitely be based more on the quality of the venue

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
well more people would then have the opportunity to go
If I live in Brisbane and can't go because it's sold out.. how if that any different to if I couldn't go because the game was somewhere else? Either way I can't go and watch it at home instead.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It should really just go on the quality of the ground on how many people it's likely to attract IMO. If you've got a stadium with a capacity of 150,000 in a wasteland that'll only draw 5,000, then obviously that's worse than selling out a ground that holds 20,000. The quality of the ground should obviously be a factor too to enhance the experience of people who attend and the atmosphere for those watching at home, and you obviously do want to share it around a bit, but population doesn't matter at all IMO.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It has to go on population otherwise, by your reasoning, all you have to do is have a great venue...irrespective of the population in and aroundthat venue

Doesn't pass the pub test, sorry gentlemen
This is a dumb argument.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two things; there's just simply more interest in attending cricket games in Adelaide right now than Brisbane and the McLachlan factor. The latter has been instrumental in affecting the former through the Oval's redevelopment. This is what you get when you have a board full of pollies instead of ex-players (or, in McLachlan's case, both) creating a very powerful lobbying effect. Managing the expectations of the ****s in North Adelaide and commercial interests has just about always been impossible but there you have it, the new ground rules and people are responding so CA are going to respond favourably.

AO feels new and exciting for the first time since, well, ever. The Gabba redevelopment in the late 90s had a similar effect. It's just AO's time. Deal.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
My beef wasn't just around the WC, but the SA series at the start of Summer, plus the Tri-Series

Total Aussie Games?

A duck

howardj

International Coach
POSTED BY Rajesh.Kumar on | March 2, 2015, 11:23 GMT

This ground seems to be good for Ashes, but not for anything else. I applaud ICC for assigning it a smaller number of games for the ICC world cup. Although, I would argue that even 3 games is too many. One or two would have been more than enough.

:laugh: sounds like furball

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL seriously howard........I doubt the GABBA is top of anyone's list of cricket grounds to visit before they die. Queesntown would be 1st or second on mine (toss up with Newlands)

Or to put it another way.........

This

Queenstown.jpg

Or this

Gabba.jpg