• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

THe Gabba - An International Cricketing Backwater

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No we don't because they serve up a **** schedule

THen they punish us further by alloting an even ****ter schedule

Vicious cycle

Seriously though, it's just way out whack - what Sydney and Melbourne get in comparison to the rest

If Mel or Syd sold out or got anywhere near selling out their ODIs for example, then maybe my case would be weakened somewhat - but they don't

It's way out of whack
Get an upper house of Parliament and maybe you'll get a game.

JBMAC

State Captain
JB, do you think making the ground an all-around stadium has taken something away from it? I went up to watch day one of the test vs the Windies about a decade ago when McGrath rolled them for 70 (2000-2001 maybe?) and it sort of felt like a lot of the atmospherics had disappeared from the place. I know they had to get rid of the dog track and all, but I wonder whether keeping the old Cricketers' Club or some such thing might have kept some character.

I haven't been to Adelaide since the refurb, but it seems they've pretty well got it right in keeping one end of the ground quite open so the cathedral is still visible, whereas the Gabba seems to be ubiquitous these days. I know the MCG is a massive dome as well, but it was always a massive dome in some form or other, so it's a bit different to the situation at the Gabba imo.
Definitely taken some of the intimacy away since they have made it an "all round" Sports Arena but I believe still a wonderful venue to watch cricket. I would like the opportunity to have a bat on the drop ins

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have watched and played at The Gabba since 1946.It was a brilliant ground to watch at and the wicket always ran relatively true.From '46 to the advent of Brisbane Lions and drop in pitches I would rate it as the best. Unfortunately I have only ever played on the SCG a few times and I still rate The Gabba as the best. This post could be considered biased but I say what I believe is true Blue..
C'mon JB - we need you to spill the beans here - who did you play for and what was your role? and while you're at it career stats too please

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The Gabba is the ugliest ground in the world and it's in Queensland. Pretty much justifies its treatment IMO.

howardj

International Coach
The Gabba is the ugliest ground in the world and it's in Queensland. Pretty much justifies its treatment IMO.
I reckon your grumpiness would get you a job as one of the over-bearing security people that mann the Gabba

Debris

International 12th Man
The treatment by Cricket Australia (CA) of the Gabba is bordering on farcical, and is seriously alienating everyone who loves cricket here in Queensland…

This Summer has been pitiful:

• We didn’t host even one of the five games in the ODI series against South Africa
  • On top of that, we didn’t get to see Australia play at all in the Tri-Series involving India and England (all we got was one India v England game which was mid-week) while Sydney and Melbourne both got to see Australia play twice, and every other venue in Australia got to see Australia play at least once…yes, even Hobart, which many quite rightly don’t regard as part of Australia)
  • Then, for the World Cup, we have to munch on an unpalatable diet of minnows (the only time we get to see Australia is a game against the woeful Bangladesh, while the only other two Gabba World Cup games feature “powerhouses” such as Zimbabwe, UAE and Ireland)
  • And of course we don’t get any of the knockout games at the pointy end of the World Cup (QF’s, SF’s or Final) while outposts such as Auckland and Adelaide do
  • Furthermore, CA seriously considered abandoning just the Brisbane Test after the Hughes incident

On top of all that, it’s the only cricket ground in Australia were they don’t sell spirits (unless you’re in the Members Section) because they think the spectators are too feral

Furthermore, the security at the ground is so stifling and miserable that they didn’t even let me hang my Phil Hughes banner up during the Test, yet it was allowed at all other grounds in Australia this Summer

Why is a cricket loving girl or boy in Brisbane any less entitled to see their team play than a cricket loving child in Sydney? Even on economic grounds it doesn't make sense, as the Gabba holds just as many people as the SCG

CA sure do everything to turn Queenslanders off cricket…I’m surprised they didn’t veto Joe Burns’ selection in the Test team earlier this Summer
That was the point where I lost all interest in your post. A comment either in very poor taste or completely oblivious to circumstances.

There were only 4 cities in Australia to host a test match this summer and Brisbane was one of them. You should be grateful.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How the hell does Adelaide get such good treatment?

The population is smaller than Brisbane, the economy is on life support, the new stands look as if they were designed by my 4yo and it's ****ing Adelaide

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

The population is smaller than Brisbane, the economy is on life support, the new stands look as if they were designed by my 4yo and it's ****ing Adelaide
The ****?? The Adelaide Oval is the best sporting venue in this country mate.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

ludicrous. Adelaide Oval ****s on the Gabba for AFL and cricket viewing.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah not to mention that Adelaide actually manages to draw some seriously impressive crowds during the BBl