• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Bond

Craig

World Traveller
Sanz said:
Mcgrath, Pollock aren't really Express fast bowlers like BOND, Lee, Akhtar, Sami etc. The difference between Fast and medium fast is only 20 KMPH. :) Gillespie isn't the force he used to be. Based on what I have seen of Bond, Yes he is better than Jason Gillespie roght now.
I disagree.

Gillespie was the pick of the Australian fast bowlers against India.

Choora

State Regular
Sanz said:
When Fit, I rate him the best Fast bowler in the World right now. When is he going to be fit again ??

Let him get fit again and see what he really does, Bond haven't done wonders to be praised soooooooo highly!:rolleyes:

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Re: Re: Shane Bond

Choora said:
Let him get fit again and see what he really does, Bond haven't done wonders to be praised soooooooo highly!:rolleyes:
except bowl some of the best dilveries ever.

Totally destroying the aussies,who were supposedly the best.

anzac

International Debutant
thierry henry said:
Well, you said he was never a "quick", I'd say that a 140+ bowler is very much a "quick". Certainly Cairns was regarded as NZ's potential next big thing-whether or not he would have been a 150 kph+ bowler is not clear, although considering he hit 146 in England in 1999 despite the accumulation of injuries over the years stunting his progress, it seems possible.

Anyway, what I was really getting at was that while Cairns has played much of his career as a batting all-rounder and a 130-135 kph medium-fast bowler, and often only a third or fourth seamer, as a youngster all the potential was in his bowling. His big hitting was supposed to be a bonus but the real excitement was that he was a genuine replacement for Hadlee. Of course, his first serious injury came in his very first test and they never let up from there, so nobody will ever know how good (or fast) a bowler he could have been.
ok so I use the term quick = fast etc - hence my original post etc....

from memory Cairns was not just seen as the next best newball bowler of some potential / pace, but his batting was also a factor in the 'Hadlee replacement' theory as genuine allrounder..........

another thing about his bowling that made everyone sit up & take notice was his height, and the fact that he banged it into the deck - an 'Australian' type seamer - most of NZ's seam options at that stage were 'along the wicket' types.........Cairns was different - the start of the new breed with a more aggresive delivery at the crease.........

:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BlackCap_Fan said:

Interesting that he totally destroyed someone whom he averaged 96 in a series against.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Do you think that could be because McGrath is actually a phenomenal bowler?
No, I think it is because he benefits from poor batting quite a bit.
How many times?:rolleyes:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
Richard - Gillespie is a great bowler but I have to admit he isn't as good as he was in 2000-2001. I saw him bowl on the flat tracks in India, he was deadly, Yesterday I saw him at Perth and sad to say I was not impressed. Even during the test series, he was good but hardly as good as 2000/01. I also think he has lost couple of yards in speed.

That said, I think he still is a world class bowler and I would pick him above Akhtar,Lee etc. But If it came to a fully fit Bond and Fully fit Gillespie - I will pick Bond any day.
I'm rather surprised at that.
Gillespie hasn't bowled especially well in this VB Series, but he's still been easily the second-best (after :O Williams) of the Australians (Hogg doesn't really count). OK, Bond has been phenominal in ODIs most of his career but I'd still say they're about equally matched.
Gillespie's ODI record has been consistently superb since the 1999 Aiwa Cup. 4.03(?)-an-over and an average of just over 21. Bond's exploits aren't quite as good nor quite as extensive.
As for Test-matches, Bond has had one series of note (in West Indies) and Gillespie has had many. All right, he's been a little flattered in recent months (England, West Indies and Bangladesh, who didn't exactly have well-performing batting-line-ups) but he is a fantastic seam and swing bowler. Bond may be so too, but as of yet we don't know that he is.
As for the Test-series, Gillespie may have been perceived to have bowled very well in 2000\01 but the fact is he averaged a nothing-special 30 for the series. In the recent series in Australia he didn't do very well either, but was still comfortably his team's best.
He has probably lost 1 or 2 mph in pace (about a third of a "yard") in the last year or two. No more. He was always up and around close to 145 kph, and is now more like 135-40.

Choora

State Regular
Re: Re: Re: Shane Bond

BlackCap_Fan said:

I thought the best spell was by Akhter against Australia in which he took 5 wkts in just 15 balls.

And if performance against Aus is all that matters then India should be regarded as the number one team in the world:O

Choora

State Regular
The so called BEST bowler of the world has an impressive average of 96.33 against Australia in test matches.If his performance in ODI against Aus makes him the best OD player, then his performance against them in test matches makes him the worst possible bowler currently:P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, I think it is because he benefits from poor batting quite a bit.
How many times?:rolleyes:
Keep going, and one day you may find a second person to join you in this crazy theory, but I very much doubt it.

Glenn McGrath is one of the all time greats, and who knows how many wicket's he's created for his team-mates?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
UPDATE ON BOND.

The latest on Shane Bond is that New Zealand cricket are working on his action, and changing it completely to stop the injuries. If bond does return I believe he will be a medium fast bowler bowling around 135-140kmph.

If you look closely at his current action you will see that he feet are out of alignment causing him to crunch his back everytime he bowls.

anzac

International Debutant
Re: UPDATE ON BOND.

Tamara said:
The latest on Shane Bond is that New Zealand cricket are working on his action, and changing it completely to stop the injuries. If bond does return I believe he will be a medium fast bowler bowling around 135-140kmph.

If you look closely at his current action you will see that he feet are out of alignment causing him to crunch his back everytime he bowls.
thanx for the update Tamara......

which if memory serves me is basically what Dizzy ended up having to do...............square up at the delivery..........

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain

Tamara said:

there goes one of our best strike bowlers.

140 kph in swinging yorker may be dangerous,but a 154 kph in-swingin' yorker is more deadly then a tomahawk missile.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Yeah very disappointing to think that he not going to be able to come back to his best but lets hope her can do a mcgrath like job now. At least this will mean he will spend more time on the field and less on the sideline.

nibbs

International Captain

Tamara said:
If bond does return I believe he will be a medium fast bowler bowling around 135-140kmph.
i saw the news a few weeks ago and it said he would lose only a little speed. But not that much.

nibbs

International Captain
Choora said:
The so called BEST bowler of the world has an impressive average of 96.33 against Australia in test matches.If his performance in ODI against Aus makes him the best OD player, then his performance against them in test matches makes him the worst possible bowler currently:P
If I recall correctly he bowled brilliantly against the Aussies in that series. Just because you don't take wickets doesn't necessary mean you've bowled badly. He caused the AUssies all sorts of problems in the two games he played in Australia.

anzac

International Debutant
nibblet said:
If I recall correctly he bowled brilliantly against the Aussies in that series. Just because you don't take wickets doesn't necessary mean you've bowled badly. He caused the AUssies all sorts of problems in the two games he played in Australia.
I didn't see much of his debut Test, but in the Perth Test he was just about unplayable at times.....

he troubled ALL the Aussie batsmen with both pace & movement - none moreso than M Waugh whom he cut in half & got inside edges that went for 4 runs.............I credit Bond v M Waugh as being the death knell for Waugh's Test career!!!

he should have had better figures if the ZIM Ump had been up to his job...........& NZ should have had a Test & series win accordingly.........

8D

anzac

International Debutant
Re: Re: UPDATE ON BOND.

nibblet said:
i saw the news a few weeks ago and it said he would lose only a little speed. But not that much.
I really hope so........Dizzy only lost about 5 kph so hopefully Bond will still be able to bowl in the mid 140ks like Dizzy..........

I don't really care if he never gets up near 150 kph again so long as he has better than 140kph pace & can still move the ball in the air & off the deck!!!!

:(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anzac said:
he should have had better figures if the ZIM Ump had been up to his job...........& NZ should have had a Test & series win accordingly.........
No matter if it were undeserved! ;)

anzac

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
No matter if it were undeserved! ;)

the match win in Perth would have been deserved on performance, and that would have given them the series win.......which is a different story altogether....

NZ may have deserved to win at Perth, but by the same token AUS did not deserve to loose the series - but then again that's cricket & how many time do we see the weather play a role........one way or the other.........

big thing IMO is that it's a good case for a 'rest' day re weather as we used to have, and also why there should not be any 2 Test series...........too many drawn 2 Test series from no results / rain affected matches can drive the public away and also give an inflated points rating..........