• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

U-23 Batsmen Watch/Prediction/Gloat when they succeed Thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now I do realize that there's no doubt that India has the most talented young batsmen in the world, but for the sake of not letting the others feel too bad, I'll give the rest of the nations a mention too. I'll exclude WI of course, just to bait WW into posting his list of the 'next big things' in cricket that's always good for a few lulz.

India

Sanju Samson
Vijay Zol
Unmukt Chand
Baaboi Apparajith
Rahul Dravid Jr

Pakistan

Ahmed Shehzad
Sami Aslam
Babar Azam
Usman Salahuddin

Australia

Mitchell Marsh
Nic Maddinson
Jordan Silk
Peter Handscomb
Other tidy wicketkeeper whose name I can't recall

Bangladesh

Mominul Haque
Anamul Haque

New Zealand

Tom Latham
Corey Anderson
James Neesham
Joe Carter
Something Mitchell or Michael something

Zimbabwe

Your move, PEWS

England

Have a history of producing talentless players but just developing them into good players through their superior facilities and infrastructure. Not much to see here.

Sri Lanka

Maximas pls

Associates

Heef thx.

So yeah, rate your top 5 or something

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Usman Ghani surely the pick of the associate young'uns.

Not much on offer from Namibia - Stephan Baard or Gerhard Erasmus are both young, and hopefully with the opportunities Namibia are getting, they'll improve.

EDIT: Hard to get much information on other associate teams without being closer to the action.

Daemon

Usman Ghani surely the pick of the associate young'uns.

Not much on offer from Namibia - Stephan Baard or Gerhard Erasmus are both young, and hopefully with the opportunities Namibia are getting, they'll improve.

EDIT: Hard to get much information on other associate teams without being closer to the action.
Yeah he looked decent against India.

Irfan Karim? Never watched him, maybe Andruid (sp?) knows more.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England

Have a history of producing talentless players but just developing them into good players through their superior facilities and infrastructure. Not much to see here.
Slightly harsh even if tongue in cheek. Although it isn't much fun watching Cook, Ballance, Root etc bat - I wouldn't quite say they were without talent.

I'd suggest the best or most likely to succeed u23s English batsman would be Alex Lees(21), Sam Hain(19) and Haseeb Hameed(18). I like Joe Clarke(18) as well as a keeper bat but that's more a punt. Vince, 23, could be very good also although there are some doubts at present. Billings also 23 has got a chance.

Last edited:

Beamer

I'll do ours. Feel free to expand or disagree WW :). It's not a good time for our young batsman who play on some terrible wickets, so this list is based mostly on rumour/reputation or having seen them bat a few times.

Barbados

Kraigg Brathwaite (22) - Already scored over 1000 test runs. Prolific appetite for batting. Won't win any beauty contests but would be very surprised if he doesn't average between 45 and 50 in tests. Incredibly mentally strong.

Shai Hope (21) - Prolific Under 19 batsman a few years back, hasn't done anything at FC level yet. Really aesthetically pleasing batsman, if you watch him for 5 minutes you'll think you're watching the next big thing in West Indian batting before he inevitably finds a way to get out.

Guyana

Shimron Hetmyer (18) - Big hitting left hander who is very powerful for an 18 year old. A Mathew Hayden style bullier of bowling, he has looked pretty good in his first few FC matches without scoring many runs.

Tagnerine Chanderpaul (18) - Shiv junior is a determined young batsman who scores heavily at Under 19 and district level. He's very similar to Shiv when he was the same age but with slightly more power and less runs to his name.

Jamaica

Jermaine Blackwood (23) - Very attractive batsman to watch, he has all the shots in the book and more. He has dominated some pretty good attacks on dodgy pitches but is going through a bad patch at the moment. He is my favourite young batsman to watch and I hope he maintains and expands on the decent start he has had to his test career.

Leroy Lugg (18) - Never seen him bat but absolutely love the name so he had to make this list.

Leeward Islands

Literally no-one. Zilcho. Nada. Whatever happened to the islands that produced Sir Viv and Richie?

Trinidad & Tobago

Nicholas Pooran (19) - The new Gilchrist, he packs an amazing amount of power for a slightly built 18 year old. Keeps very well too. Potentially a real star, but unfortunately didn't get to play much cricket this year after badly breaking his leg in a car crash.

Evin Lewis (23) - Gifted left handed opener in the Jayasuria mould, he has been excellent in the T20 format but sadly hasn't translated that to scores in the 4 day format this year which is a shame because he was good last year.

Windward Islands

Sunil Ambris (21) - Tall and elegant right hander who played really well last year. He has really disappointed this year though which is a shame. Hoping for a big end to the season for him as he was up there with Blackwood at the end of last season.

Emmanuel Stewart (15) - I've never seen him bat but people in the Windward Islands think he's the best batsman they have produced for decades. He's a little wicket keeper/batsman. He toured Australia with the T & T Under 16 team as a guest batsman when he was 14 and scored lots of runs. Apparently the coaches at the Darren Lehman academy thought he was an awesome young talent.

So Emmanuel Stewart is my 'gloat when they succeed' candidate whilst Kraigg Brathwaite is the most obvious choice for success at the highest level (he's already doing it really).

Last edited:

Gowza

U19 12th Man
I'll do ours. Feel free to expand or disagree WW :). It's not a good time for our young batsman who play on some terrible wickets, so this list is based mostly on rumour/reputation or having seen them bat a few times.

Barbados

Kraigg Brathwaite (22) - Already scored over 1000 test runs. Prolific appetite for batting. Won't win any beauty contests but would be very surprised if he doesn't average between 45 and 50 in tests. Incredibly mentally strong.

Shai Hope (21) - Prolific Under 19 batsman a few years back, hasn't done anything at FC level yet. Really aesthetically pleasing batsman, if you watch him for 5 minutes you'll think you're watching the next big thing in West Indian batting before he inevitably finds a way to get out.

Guyana

Shimron Hetmyer (18) - Big hitting left hander who is very powerful for an 18 year old. A Mathew Hayden style bullier of bowling, he has looked pretty good in his first few FC matches without scoring many runs.

Tagnerine Chanderpaul (18) - Shiv junior is a determined young batsman who scores heavily at Under 19 and district level. He's very similar to Shiv when he was the same age but with slightly more power and less runs to his name.

Jamaica

Jermaine Blackwood (23) - Very attractive batsman to watch, he has all the shots in the book and more. He has dominated some pretty good attacks on dodgy pitches but is going through a bad patch at the moment. He is my favourite young batsman to watch and I hope he maintains and expands on the decent start he has had to his test career.

Leroy Lugg (18) - Never seen him bat but absolutely love the name so he had to make this list.

Leeward Islands

Literally no-one. Zilcho. Nada. Whatever happened to the islands that produced Sir Viv and Richie?

Trinidad & Tobago

Nicholas Pooran (19) - The new Gilchrist, he packs an amazing amount of power for a slightly built 18 year old. Keeps very well too. Potentially a real star, but unfortunately didn't get to play much cricket this year after badly breaking his leg in a car crash.

Evin Lewis (23) - Gifted left handed opener in the Jayasuria mould, he has been excellent in the T20 format but sadly hasn't translated that to scores in the 4 day format this year which is a shame because he was good last year.

Windward Islands

Sunil Ambris (21) - Tall and elegant right hander who played really well last year. He has really disappointed this year though which is a shame. Hoping for a big end to the season for him as he was up there with Blackwood at the end of last season.

Emmanuel Stewart (15) - I've never seen him bat but people in the Windward Islands think he's the best batsman they have produced for decades. He's a little wicket keeper/batsman. He toured Australia with the T & T Under 16 team as a guest batsman when he was 14 and scored lots of runs. Apparently the coaches at the Darren Lehman academy thought he was an awesome young talent.

So Emmanuel Stewart is my 'gloat when they succeed' candidate whilst Kraigg Brathwaite is the most obvious choice for success at the highest level (he's already doing it really).
What do you think of alzarri Joseph?

Beamer

What do you think of alzarri Joseph?
I've only seen a little bit of footage of him so can't really give an informed view but he looked like a tall and nippy fast bowler to me. Certainly very promising for an 18 year old. He should be playing for the Leeward Islands regularly.

Have you seen him bowl?

Gowza

U19 12th Man
I've only seen a little bit of footage of him so can't really give an informed view but he looked like a tall and nippy fast bowler to me. Certainly very promising for an 18 year old. He should be playing for the Leeward Islands regularly.

Have you seen him bowl?
No haven't seen him bowl but heard his name thrown around quite a bit.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Slightly harsh even if tongue in cheek. Although it isn't much fun watching Cook, Ballance, Root etc bat - I wouldn't quite say they were without talent.

I'd suggest the best or most likely to succeed u23s English batsman would be Alex Lees(21), Sam Hain(19) and Haseeb Hameed(18). I like Joe Clarke(18) as well as a keeper bat but that's more a punt. Vince, 23, could be very good also although there are some doubts at present. Billings also 23 has got a chance.
Also think Daniel Bell-Drummond (21) has half a chance too.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
At the moment Usman Ghani is slightly better than Tom Latham (MVP).

Anderson is obviously awesome but I don't consider middle order batsmen real batsmen.

morgieb

Now I do realize that there's no doubt that India has the most talented young batsmen in the world, but for the sake of not letting the others feel too bad, I'll give the rest of the nations a mention too. I'll exclude WI of course, just to bait WW into posting his list of the 'next big things' in cricket that's always good for a few lulz.

India

Sanju Samson
Vijay Zol
Unmukt Chand
Baaboi Apparajith
Rahul Dravid Jr

Pakistan

Ahmed Shehzad
Sami Aslam
Babar Azam
Usman Salahuddin

Australia

Mitchell Marsh
Nic Maddinson
Jordan Silk
Peter Handscomb
Other tidy wicketkeeper whose name I can't recall

Bangladesh

Mominul Haque
Anamul Haque

New Zealand

Tom Latham
Corey Anderson
James Neesham
Joe Carter
Something Mitchell or Michael something

Zimbabwe

Your move, PEWS

England

Sri Lanka

Maximas pls

Associates

Heef thx.

So yeah, rate your top 5 or something
Whiteman?

In addition to your list I'd have Travis Head there somewhere, and Doran seems a big talent.

Who's Rahul Dravid Jr?

morgieb

Nah. Maybe a Collingwood style plonker but he doesn't hit the ball like an elite bat.

So so good.

He's the one who played the last few tests in the series just gone morgie.
Then why didn't he say Lokesh Rahul :p

Do think he looks pretty solid. Crap debut though.

Daemon

Yeah made an okay hundred in the last game. Easy wicket and the bowling wasn't great but still, a ton overseas in his second test deserves some recognition.