• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

U-23 Batsmen Watch/Prediction/Gloat when they succeed Thread

91Jmay

International Coach
Dan Lawrence (18) has the potential to be a superstar. Insanely clean striker of a ball, and 3rd youngest CC centurion ever. He will be at the U19 WC and I expect big things after he dismantled Australia U19 in English summer.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jake Lehman - already putting big numbers up and obviously comes from a good family. Hopefully he gets a run earlier than his dad did.
Unlikely. When his dad was his age, he had already had two 1000+ runs/50 average seasons. Jake's played 4 FC games.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
If Kenya ever reaurface in the International scene again it will mostly be Irfan Karim's doing

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bump. 3 years on and the only name in this thread with any decent amount of success would be Babar Azam and Hope in ODIs.

SeamUp

International Coach
India
Prithvi Shaw
Shubman Gill

South Africa
Matthew Breetzke
Raynard van Tonder
Wiaan Mulder
Sinethemba Qeshile

England
Ollie Pope
Harry Brook
Tom Banton
Jamie Smith

Australia
Will Pucovski
Josh Philippe
Jason Sangha

New Zealand
Rachin Ravindra
Finn Allen

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I'll do ours. Feel free to expand or disagree WW :). It's not a good time for our young batsman who play on some terrible wickets, so this list is based mostly on rumour/reputation or having seen them bat a few times.

Barbados

Kraigg Brathwaite (22) - Already scored over 1000 test runs. Prolific appetite for batting. Won't win any beauty contests but would be very surprised if he doesn't average between 45 and 50 in tests. Incredibly mentally strong.

Shai Hope (21) - Prolific Under 19 batsman a few years back, hasn't done anything at FC level yet. Really aesthetically pleasing batsman, if you watch him for 5 minutes you'll think you're watching the next big thing in West Indian batting before he inevitably finds a way to get out.

Guyana

Shimron Hetmyer (18) - Big hitting left hander who is very powerful for an 18 year old. A Mathew Hayden style bullier of bowling, he has looked pretty good in his first few FC matches without scoring many runs.

Tagnerine Chanderpaul (18) - Shiv junior is a determined young batsman who scores heavily at Under 19 and district level. He's very similar to Shiv when he was the same age but with slightly more power and less runs to his name.

Jamaica

Jermaine Blackwood (23) - Very attractive batsman to watch, he has all the shots in the book and more. He has dominated some pretty good attacks on dodgy pitches but is going through a bad patch at the moment. He is my favourite young batsman to watch and I hope he maintains and expands on the decent start he has had to his test career.

Leroy Lugg (18) - Never seen him bat but absolutely love the name so he had to make this list.

Leeward Islands

Literally no-one. Zilcho. Nada. Whatever happened to the islands that produced Sir Viv and Richie?

Trinidad & Tobago

Nicholas Pooran (19) - The new Gilchrist, he packs an amazing amount of power for a slightly built 18 year old. Keeps very well too. Potentially a real star, but unfortunately didn't get to play much cricket this year after badly breaking his leg in a car crash.

Evin Lewis (23) - Gifted left handed opener in the Jayasuria mould, he has been excellent in the T20 format but sadly hasn't translated that to scores in the 4 day format this year which is a shame because he was good last year.

Windward Islands

Sunil Ambris (21) - Tall and elegant right hander who played really well last year. He has really disappointed this year though which is a shame. Hoping for a big end to the season for him as he was up there with Blackwood at the end of last season.

Emmanuel Stewart (15) - I've never seen him bat but people in the Windward Islands think he's the best batsman they have produced for decades. He's a little wicket keeper/batsman. He toured Australia with the T & T Under 16 team as a guest batsman when he was 14 and scored lots of runs. Apparently the coaches at the Darren Lehman academy thought he was an awesome young talent.

So Emmanuel Stewart is my 'gloat when they succeed' candidate whilst Kraigg Brathwaite is the most obvious choice for success at the highest level (he's already doing it really).
Massive tail of woe mostly. Our cricket board couldn't develop a camera film let alone a test class batsman.

Kraigg is regressing at an alarming rate, Shai is superb in ODI's but apart from one ATG test match has been ordinary. Hety has been superb in ODI's, pretty up and down in tests. Blackwood hasn't adapted his game but was rather harshly dropped. Ambris has been treated badly in ODI's but stank up the place in tests.

Emmanuel Stewart has started a duck farm so far in FC cricket so I am suitably shamed.

My main hope is Pooran who has had an amazing start to ODI cricket and IMHO should be fast tracked into tests.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Brandon King. Brandon King. Brandon King
I agree, he is silky smooth. Looking forward to seeing him break into the team during the next FC season I think this thread has taught me to just stay quiet and enjoy it if they do happen to make it in spite of our system.

Tage could get a spot with another good season. He does need to up his scoring rate a little bit though.

If this was an Under 23 list of fast bowlers I would be very confident as we have a plethora coming through.