Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A fast bowler's physical peak vs his intellectual peak?

A fast bowler's physical peak vs his intellectual peak?

Which one would be harder to face? One example would be Wasim Akram who hit his physical peak from 1992-1994 where he was at his fastest, and in the year 1999 he lost some speed but compensated it with the ability to set up a batsman on any pitch (we all remember that ball to Dravid in 1999 Chennai test).

Hadlee is another example who shortened his run up after experience gained in county games and transformed into an all time great by peaking in his 30s.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Smarter over faster in a fairly superficial way I reckon.

Playing pretty low grade cricket as I do, I'd much prefer to face the 20 year old who's pretty quick over the 40 year old who knows the tricks.

Tricks over quicks.
    Hutton - Gavaskar - Bradman - Lara - Richards - Sobers - Gilchrist - Hadlee - Akram - Warne - Lillee

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Pretty weird question imo. Depends on way too many things. It's never as clear cut as choosing one or the other.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    I wouldn't always put it as a physical v intellectual peak per say. If a bowler has more speed earlier on in his career say and is taking wickets, doesn't mean that he is not wise. Later, more than wisdom, it is about being able to adopt to physical limitations which crop up with age. Some can do it while others can't depending on the type of bowling action, type of bowler, physical state and other dynamics.

At his intellectual peak, a fast bowler should be teaching 14 year olds how not to screw up the cross seam fwiw.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Speed is over-rated when it comes to quicks. Just compare Shaun Tait to Glenn McGrath.

Ranges on the bowler. Take Shaun Pollock at his physical peak circa 99-2000 ahead of him with more experience around 2005 everyday. Waqar too (although he was more injury hampered rather than just aged).

However I'd take Zaheer with more experience later in his career but far slower, because he just knew his game and how to work batsmen out.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post
    Speed is over-rated when it comes to quicks. Just compare Shaun Tait to Glenn McGrath.
    McGrath was the exception. While speed is not every thing, I would rather have Steyn than Bhuvneshwar Kumar in my team, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Pretty weird question imo. Depends on way too many things. It's never as clear cut as choosing one or the other.
    Which is why its a good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    McGrath was the exception. While speed is not every thing, I would rather have Steyn than Bhuvneshwar Kumar in my team, thanks.
    Me too, but you could take 15km/h off Steyn and he'd still be a very dangerous bowler. Take his accuracy and swing away and you've got nothing.

Just to chip in and add my take on things - I think OP is not asking "Accuracy vs pace". It's a bit hard to deduce what he actually means by "intellectual peak" - but it may not necessarily imply only accuracy.

When I read the title the first bowler I had in mind was Zaheer - a much faster bowler in his early years but not possessing the guile and knowledge of how to attack various batsmen's specific weaknesses. Obviously accuracy is a major part in this but i think if this thread develops into a "sheer-pace vs accuracy" then it may be simplifying things a bit.

Didn't really articulate it that well, hopefully some of you get what I meant

The obvious answer to this would be that it's harder to face a cunning bowler who's in his physical prime.

I think pace is underrated tbh, not over rated. While obviously you don't want a player spraying it all around whether he bowlers at 150 or 120 km/h, that extra pace, with a certain level of accuracy is always more than welcome. Would I have Bhuvneshwar Kumar ahead of Varun Aaron right now? Absolutely. Would I have Bhuvneshwar Kumar ahead of Kyle Abbott? Not really except in more helpful conditions to swing, possibly. Having said that, I thought Kumar was bowling in nice rhythm in the Ranji game, and I could posssibly take him ahead of Abbott. It is such a tricky thing.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    There is no way pace is underrated considering even respected commentators and hardcore fans often watch the speed gun more than they watch the game.

It's more useful to land the ball on a penny with late swing at 150kph than it is to do it at 130kph, but a mediocre 150kph bowler is less valuable than the good 130kph bowler and even a world class 130kph bowler can be better than a world class 150kph bowler (i.e. Glenn McGrath).

Short version - it's better to be good at bowling than bad at bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpanzee View Post
    Just to chip in and add my take on things - I think OP is not asking "Accuracy vs pace". It's a bit hard to deduce what he actually means by "intellectual peak" - but it may not necessarily imply only accuracy.

When I read the title the first bowler I had in mind was Zaheer - a much faster bowler in his early years but not possessing the guile and knowledge of how to attack various batsmen's specific weaknesses. Obviously accuracy is a major part in this but i think if this thread develops into a "sheer-pace vs accuracy" then it may be simplifying things a bit.

Didn't really articulate it that well, hopefully some of you get what I meant

The obvious answer to this would be that it's harder to face a cunning bowler who's in his physical prime.
    Yes. You can say this thread is closer to Hadleesque brains vs Akhtarsque brawns.

I guess we have to ask what it means to bowl 'intellectually'. To me it implies at least some preference of accuracy over pace, in that hitting the right channels and bowling to a plan is mentally more difficult than just hurling it down as fast as possible. Even though there's a place for that, of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information