• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predict your test XI in 3 years time.

Debris

International 12th Man
If you don't impart enough backspin on the ball you can have perfect seam release and not swing it.
I was thinking of a bowler notorious for never swinging the ball in Glenn McGrath. He was famous for keeping the seam bolt upright and I would have thought he had plenty of backspin on the ball (backspin needed to stop wobble and create bounce?). Was lack of backspin his problem or something else?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I was thinking of a bowler notorious for never swinging the ball in Glenn McGrath. He was famous for keeping the seam bolt upright and I would have thought he had plenty of backspin on the ball (backspin needed to stop wobble and create bounce?). Was lack of backspin his problem or something else?
McGrath did swing it pretty frequently though. It wasn't extravagant but he could do it.

Bowlers who bowl with the seam bolt upright don't tend to be massive swingers anyway (heh), you have to angle the seam to get it to hoop.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ahmed Shehzad
Sami Aslam
Azhar Ali(C)
Babar Azam
Haris Sohail
Asad Shafiq
Mo Rizwan(wk)
Mo Aamer
Yasir Shah
Ehsan Adil
Juanid Khan

Debris

International 12th Man
McGrath did swing it pretty frequently though. It wasn't extravagant but he could do it.

Bowlers who bowl with the seam bolt upright don't tend to be massive swingers anyway (heh), you have to angle the seam to get it to hoop.
I guess I need to ask the question the other way then. Which quick bowler didn't swing the ball?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I guess I need to ask the question the other way then. Which quick bowler didn't swing the ball?
Brent Arnel
Ian O'Brien
Darryl Tuffey in his final years
Doug Bracewell stopped swinging it for a couple of years

Mitchell Johnson flukes swing from time to time but typically doesn't get it

Debris

International 12th Man
Brent Arnel
Ian O'Brien
Darryl Tuffey in his final years
Doug Bracewell stopped swinging it for a couple of years

Mitchell Johnson flukes swing from time to time but typically doesn't get it
And the reason was not keeping seam straight?

GGG

State Captain
The more backspin you impart on the ball, the more angular momentum it has. The more angular momentum it as, the more stable it is in it's rotational axis it is. This means the ball spins strongly in its release position and "cuts" a path through the air with the seam proud rather than tumbling randomly through the air. It's the same principle as the "gravity defying flywheell" demonstration so common in high school physics.

Am I the only one who thought that was Glenn Maxwell?

vandem

International 12th Man
M Bracewell
Latham
Williamson (c)
Taylor
Young
Anderson
Watling
Santner
Henry
Southee
Boult
(Wagner 12th)

Too soon for Carter and O'Donnell, will be waiting for M Bracewell to fail and Taylor to retire.
Taylor will be 33, will be struggling for runs but not dropped until the following season.
Neesham unfortunately won't make enough runs, but will play the occasional test when Anderson injured.
Blundell as keeper if Watling's fitness doesn't hold up (although if Watling hangs on, Siefert will eventually be the test keeper)
Craig won't take enough wickets to hold his place, Sodhi won't develop. Santner will make ODI squad in 2015-16, then will fill Vettori-like reliable SLA in test team, but not sure if he'll take enough wickets to be a long term option.
Milne will play some test cricket but body won't hold up.
Quinn and Duffy to be other seamers in squad.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Latham
Brownlie
Williamson
Taylor
M Bracewell
Anderson
Watling+
Santner/Craig/Sodhi
Southee
Boult
Bennett

:ph34r:

SeamUp

International Coach
Suppose this XI could carry on for more than 3 years. I went for Hendricks because I think it may be unfair on van Zyl & he may not take the opportunity. Returns right-hand & left-hand opening partnership from Knights days.

Elgar
Hendricks
Faf
Amla
AB
JP
de Kock
Philander
Harmer
Steyn
Morkel

I then went for who could come in if the above do falter.

OPENERS

Markram
Rickelton

I could easily have gone for Cloete & White who seem to be there and there abouts making recent 'A' squads but even if they are openers in SA, I'm not sure early 30's averages at 23 is going to cut it. Also I like the majority of my players to be fairly all-round and they don't play limited overs cricket at franchise level.

MIDDLE ORDER

van Zyl
Rossouw
Bavuma
de Bruyn

Two lefties and two righties split for top-to-middle order. Rossouw & de Bruyn naturally quick scoring while the others or more patient.

KEEPERS

Second
Fortuin

Not sure keepers will be required too much with de Kock around.

ALL-ROUNDERS

Savage
Phehlukwayo
Galiem

Don't think I will be considering Albie, McLaren, Wiese and Morris for the long term. Putting my hopes in these 3 youngsters to carry on the all-round tradition. The aim would be for them to be number 7 after de Kock and be first change bowlers.

SPINNERS

Piedt
Shamsi
Linde

Tahir will probably travel with Harmer in the immediate future. Gone with a left-arm spinner, right-arm off-spinner and chinaman wrist-spinner for variation.

SEAMERS

Abbott
Parnell
Rabada
Dupavillon

Abbott and Parnell are mid 20's & opportunities will be around for the next 3 years with injuries. Whether they can knock out the current 3 is a big question mark. Decided to leave de Lange out as his injuries will continue to haunt him. So went with the 2 youngsters who are good athletes and always at you and can bowl the same pace in their last spell as to their first.

Last edited:

aNarcHy2day

Cricket Spectator
For Test matches, I think the possible Line-Up could be...

L. Rahul
M. Vijay
C. Pujara
A. Rahane
V. Kohli
K. Nair
D. Karthick
R. Ashwin
B. Kumar
I. Sharma
Md. Shami

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Warner
Burns/Maddinson/Carters
Smith
Clarke/S.Marsh/Handscomb
Maxwell/M.Marsh
Nevill (+)
Johnson/Pattinson
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood
Burns next in line for second opener's spot , put a line through Cowan. Not sure who else, you could say Carters or Maddinson, the former though I don't know if a keeper or opener, if at all, the latter depending on where he bats.
Clarke has ambitons to go on, looks to have eyes to the Test championship, depending on fitness and form. S.Marsh at the crossroads (how many chances does he have to have?) Handscomb looks the real goods. Johnson not too sure about either.