• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Possible restrictions on bats being looked at

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Thank god, really detracts from my enjoyment of watching cricket.

I feel like I'm being lied to when I see leading edges go for 6.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another strangely sensible move from the ICC. It'll be interesting to see what - if anything - they come up with in this regard.

andmark

International Captain
About time. One wonders if they'll go through with it though, what with big hitting being more financially viable than good bowling in attracting non- cricketing fans.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah biggest farce in cricket - feels so cheap seeing a mistimed leg glance sail over the point boundary.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I really hope so, but this sentence is so full of hedging as to be meaningless:

"the ICC will be looking at giving perhaps some consideration to placing limitations on the depth of a bat in particular."

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So short-sighted. Two new balls, changes to the ring fielder rule and boundaries brought in yet bat technology is being blamed? Come on.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Two new balls wasn't a good fix, tbh. Takes the spinner and reverse swing out of the game.

HeathDavisSpeed

So short-sighted. Two new balls, changes to the ring fielder rule and boundaries brought in yet bat technology is being blamed? Come on.
Seeing as their first solution is to move the boundaries back out, I don't think things are quite as short sighted as you're making out.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the interview sounded quite reasonable.

He also made plenty of justifications for two new balls.

HeathDavisSpeed

Also fail to see what changes to the ring fielder restrictions has to do with Richardson's main point about poor shots and top edges going for six. You could have no fielding restrictions and that would still be an issue.

RossTaylorsBox

I propose no restrictions on bats, but everyone has to make their own bat from a log they get at the start of the season.

social

It's ridiculous

For example, boundary ropes were originally introduced as a safety pre-caution/insurance issue IIRC

They were not originally intended to create a huge buffer to house cameramen, sightscreens, advertising hoardings, assorted hangers on, etc or to fundamentally change the nature of several grounds

At a bare minimum, I would like to see the introduction of a rule whereby a maximum setback distance (say 2 m) is imposed.

That would at least allow grounds to retain their distinctive flavour and ensure that batsmen aren't able to drop-kick 6s on artificially short boundaries at many Australian grounds.

I also do not understand the rule whereby a fielder must remain completely within the rope even after completing a catch

After all, if a rugby player gets the ball down before going into touch, it is still a try irrespective of where he ends up

It is also a nonsense that a batsman gets awarded with 6 if the ball hits the rope on the full

I could go on but you probably get my gist

Anyway, there are far easier options than outlawing bats of a certain type

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You sound just like a batsman and the bat-making industry. Please declare your possible conflicts of interest

JBMAC

State Captain
It's a big hoo hah over nothing. This subject also reared it's ugly head back in the sixties because Peter Burge used a bat twice the weight of conventional usage ones of the times. Bowlers have to learn /relearn the art of bowling to accommodate these heavier bats. Maybe even the "ropes" should be moved closer to the boundary fence. Imagine the sixers Bradman would have hit with shortened fields.

HeathDavisSpeed

I've said it before, so it won't stop me from saying it again... If every batsman can have their own bat, then every bowler should have their own ball.

That should balance things out a bit.