• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Kane Williamson Average Watch thread

Will Kane average 50 in both ODIs and Tests at some point before Feb 2017?

• Total voters

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
The point of this thread is to serve as a platform for me to state my prediction that Williamson will average over 50 in both Tests and ODIs at some point within the next two years.

Currently, Williamson averages 45.96 from 39 Tests and 45.00 from 64 ODIs.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Did read an article by Martin Crowe a few years ago that the future batting superstars (or the Fab 4) will be: Joe Root, Virat Kohli, Steve Smith and Kane Williamson.

Sounds about right.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Did read an article by Martin Crowe a few years ago that the future batting superstars (or the Fab 4) will be: Joe Root, Virat Kohli, Steve Smith and Kane Williamson.

Sounds about right.
Yep, sounds bang on.

Williamson could get close to a 50 average in both forms of the game within the next couple of years, but it'll take a lot of consistency and a lot of luck with injuries. Might just save my vote until Jan' 2017.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
The point of this thread is to serve as a platform for me to state my prediction that Williamson will average over 50 in both Tests and ODIs at some point within the next two years.

Currently, Williamson averages 45.96 from 39 Tests and 45.00 from 64 ODIs.
From 59 innings batted, to be precise.

In the last two years he's played 30 innings at 56. If he plays the same number of innings at the same average for the next 2 years he'll have an average of around 48.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
From 59 innings batted, to be precise.

In the last two years he's played 30 innings at 56. If he plays the same number of innings at the same average for the next 2 years he'll have an average of around 48.
Fair point, but if anything having played 59 innings means his average will go up even quicker as there are fewer outs to divide the runs total by.

Also, he's clearly a better player now than he was one year ago, and is still only 24. If he keeps improving at anything near this rate he'll make it over 50 in ODIs.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
For those still in doubt, Statsguru tells me that at the start of last year, Williamson averaged a humble 35.41. So I'm betting that his stats will go up by half as much over two years as they have already done over the last 12 months alone.

akilana

International 12th Man

Sounds about right.
Not sure about Root but the other three have been fantastic.

Flem274*

123/5
The exciting thing about Kane is if he were to stay as he is now he would still be a high quality batsman for his career and one of our very best. Since he's only 24 though and very eager to learn and improve you would be brave to bet against him getting even better. I don't know or care what he averages as long as it's a good one but he's going to play so many more superb innings for New Zealand and that's what counts.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Most of the players who average more than 50 in ODI cricket have a large proportion of not outs and bat in the middle order, not near the top. It's very difficult to maintain that high of an average at number 3.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
It's very difficult to maintain an average of 45 batting at No. 3. Yet Williamson has done it, including a long period where he was still learning the ropes of the game at the top level.

viriya

International Captain
Only Kohli and Amla have a 50+ ODI average batting at the top. Kane is great but not at their level in ODIs. 50+ Tests I expect him to get.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Still remember when Williamson had what 2 or 3 ducks in a row during his debut series back in 2010, he's come a long way since then, solid player. batting has become easier in limited overs cricket these days but still, the way the likes of Amla, Kohli and Williamson are going they're gonna have serious records when they finish up.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If anything batting in ODI's was easier 5 years ago.
On the face of it, more fielders inside the ring and 2 new balls:

- Boundary scoring easier
- Rotating the strike harder.

Williamson never had difficulty rotating the strike and although he's certainly got better at hitting the boundary when he needs it, one less fielder outside the circle means he can target certain areas and have options with his shot making. I think it's worked in his favour.

The opposite for someone like Guptill.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
50 in ODIs can happen. For instance if he makes a freak 175 or 200, the average will shoot up. I doubt it will sustain in this is no slight on Williamson's abilities. New Zealand has more bouncier pitches and to average 50 in ODIs playing a large portion of the ODIs at home, it will not be easy. If Williamson can average over 50 in tests at the end of his career, which I hope he will, it will be a great achievement given that he would play half his cricket in New Zealand.