• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Kane Williamson Average Watch thread

Will Kane average 50 in both ODIs and Tests at some point before Feb 2017?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
NZ limited overs pitches have been getting progressively flatter and we have some of the smallest grounds in the world. Our home averages will continue to rise.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
NZ limited overs pitches have been getting progressively flatter and we have some of the smallest grounds in the world. Our home averages will continue to rise.
Haha yeah the myth of NZ greentops in the eyes of India fans from that '02 tour is actually pretty hilarious. More seamy-roads than anything genuinely green these days (first day of Basin games aside)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
50 in ODIs can happen. For instance if he makes a freak 175 or 200, the average will shoot up. I doubt it will sustain in this is no slight on Williamson's abilities. New Zealand has more bouncier pitches and to average 50 in ODIs playing a large portion of the ODIs at home, it will not be easy. If Williamson can average over 50 in tests at the end of his career, which I hope he will, it will be a great achievement given that he would play half his cricket in New Zealand.
Ha, yeah, nah

ODI pitches in NZ are so batting-friendly it's not even funny. Add this to the tiny boundaries and averaging 50 would be easier playing a lot of cricket in NZ than almost anywhere else in the world.

ajdude

International Coach
Most of the players who average more than 50 in ODI cricket have a large proportion of not outs and bat in the middle order, not near the top. It's very difficult to maintain that high of an average at number 3.
makes amla's efforts seem all the more amazing. averages 56.41 with only 9 not outs in 104 innings

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ha, yeah, nah

ODI pitches in NZ are so batting-friendly it's not even funny. Add this to the tiny boundaries and averaging 50 would be easier playing a lot of cricket in NZ than almost anywhere else in the world.
It is not as easy as India, despite the short boundaries in New Zealand, say. I wouldn't back him to average 50 consistently in ODIs, really. I could back some Indian a bit more to do the same, for instance. However, generally, even in today's batting friendly era, I would only really back one or two players to finish with an over 50 average. I can see KW finish with 46 or say personally.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd be surprised if he averaged as much as 46 tbh, such a figure would make him one of the greatest top order ODI bats in history.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Batsmen who have scored over 2000 ODI runs at an average of 45+

link

Good comparison is Trott, who has scored at a higher rate but more slowly. Every other player on that list is an ATG.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Batsmen who have scored over 2000 ODI runs at an average of 45+

link

Good comparison is Trott, who has scored at a higher rate but more slowly. Every other player on that list is an ATG.
Williamson's 9 not outs from 64 innings is also impressive. Eight of those were won by NZ and the other was a no result.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Just a month later & I'm suddenly not so sure about that. It that month his ODI average has gone from 45.00 - 47.30 :blink:
So he's almost halfway to making up the difference between his initial average and 50, after 1 month out of 24 in the Kane Williamson Challenge (TM).

Every time he scores 100 or gets a not out 50 (or thereabouts) his average goes up by about one run per innings. I expect that he'll do well against either Afghanistan or Bangladesh, which ought to raise it further.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Kane Williamson's Test average after his 92* on the second day of the Lord's Test: 47.36

For the curious, he needs 175 runs on Day Three to take his average above 50.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Love KW. Will be great to see him cross 50. Hope he finishes his career above 50 in tests.

I am still skeptical re him finishing in ODIs above 50. More than any thing, it is that batting in NZ in ODIs isn't as run scoring as say India on an average.